Free Agency: Fool's Gold | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free Agency: Fool's Gold

T

tonto_phin

Just look at the Washington Redskins, Pittsburg Steelers and the New England Patriots for the lessons

with all the cap room teams are going to have next year, the smart money is going to go after the lesser knowns and not overpay

remember Damien Woody?, we dodged a bullet there. there will be quite a few Woody's out there

we need to find Andre Goodman's equivalent at say G and LB

perhaps we could snag a RFA too, one who is tendered too low and upgrades us somewhere

I think you can still sign a player who can make a big impact in FA, remember when the Dolphins signed Keith Jackson? He played great for us and I think Tony Gonzalez would make a huge difference in the red zone. Deon Sanders helped the 49ers and Cowboys win some championships, Wilbur Marshall with the Redskins, Charles Haley with the Cowboys. To say you can only find reserve players and role players is a ridiculous statement to make.

Yeah I agree that we shouldn't break the bank for any free agent unless he is very young and reguarded by everyone as an elite player. Considering those two things rarely ever come in the form of a free agent, I don't think we have to worry about that. We should use free agency to fill a need or two here and there and to add depth.

To say you can only find reserve players and role players is a ridiculous statement to make.

that's not what I said

my point was that smart buyers will be staying away from the big tickets

supply and demand, look into it

i beleive the redskins buys there team in free agency...

and looking at the pats, steelers...they have had some pretty good drafts in the past and built there team through the draft..which is what i want us to do..but if we have a shot at a Briggs, Thomas, Clements, Samuel type i think we should give it a shot to sign them

PHANTASTIC 13 said:
I think you can still sign a player who can make a big impact in FA, remember when the Dolphins signed Keith Jackson? He played great for us and I think Tony Gonzalez would make a huge difference in the red zone. Deon Sanders helped the 49ers and Cowboys win some championships, Wilbur Marshall with the Redskins, Charles Haley with the Cowboys. To say you can only find reserve players and role players is a ridiculous statement to make.

Hmmm... Brees seems to be helping the Saints, too.

nobody overpaid for Brees because he was injured, if he hadn't been injured he would have never been an FA

apples and oranges

Brees is a warrior and is the exception while the rule is the mercenary who played great in antcipation of a big payday

I keep trying to set expectations to a realistic level, but the instant gratification crowd stays in denial

tonto_phin said:
nobody overpaid for Brees because he was injured, if he hadn't been injured he would have never been an FA

apples and oranges

Brees is a warrior and is the exception while the rule is the mercenary who played great in antcipation of a big payday

I keep trying to set expectations to a realistic level, but the instant gratification crowd stays in denial

hard to deal with isn't it? NOBODY acknowledges that teams don't turn around on a dime. They pull out examples like lovie (who inherted a team that had sucked for a decade). We've hit rock bottom, and are on our upswing, but it takes TIME. We were contenders, we aren't anymore. It takes ONE man getting adequate time to build a good corp of players. Saban is that man, but he needs more than 2-3 years. It'll take 5-6.

It won't take 5-6 years if you know what you're doing. I feel Saban is the man for the coaching job but his GM skills are lacking. Sean Payton brought in 27, or was it 37, new players, had a great draft and suddenly the worst team in the NFL is now looking at a first round bye in one season. Not something you would expect, but Saban doesn't have 5-6 years. I'd give him another year or two before I ask him to hand back the GM duties.

BgBruthaJuvi said:
It won't take 5-6 years if you know what you're doing. I feel Saban is the man for the coaching job but his GM skills are lacking. Sean Payton brought in 27, or was it 37, new players, had a great draft and suddenly the worst team in the NFL is now looking at a first round bye in one season. Not something you would expect, but Saban doesn't have 5-6 years. I'd give him another year or two before I ask him to hand back the GM duties.

Im a Saban fan, and,Iagree.

Phinzone said:
hard to deal with isn't it? NOBODY acknowledges that teams don't turn around on a dime. They pull out examples like lovie (who inherted a team that had sucked for a decade). We've hit rock bottom, and are on our upswing, but it takes TIME. We were contenders, we aren't anymore. It takes ONE man getting adequate time to build a good corp of players. Saban is that man, but he needs more than 2-3 years. It'll take 5-6.

It's looking like you may be able to put the 49ers in the catagory of teams who turned on a dime.

KingCrowder said:
It's looking like you may be able to put the 49ers in the catagory of teams who turned on a dime.

When's the last time the 49ers were considered a viable threat? The last time they had a winning season was in 2002. A new coach doesn't mean a new team, the team suffered for 3 straight years as a pile of steaming poo in the NFL.

Bears? They've had 2 winning seasons out of the past 5 (this will make 3 of 6).

The lesson..ALL teams take their lumps. Saban just got here to correct the problem, all teams seem to take a 2-3 year suck period before an upswing. Saban inherited a bad team in really bad financial shape. You have to give him time. He had to build a team with few picks, and no money.

Phinzone said:
When's the last time the 49ers were considered a viable threat? The last time they had a winning season was in 2002. A new coach doesn't mean a new team, the team suffered for 3 straight years as a pile of steaming poo in the NFL.

Bears? They've had 2 winning seasons out of the past 5 (this will make 3 of 6).

The lesson..ALL teams take their lumps. Saban just got here to correct the problem, all teams seem to take a 2-3 year suck period before an upswing. Saban inherited a bad team in really bad financial shape. You have to give him time. He had to build a team with few picks, and no money.

today?

Back
Top Bottom