Free agency issues first entree on Hickey plate | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free agency issues first entree on Hickey plate

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
And then there's the issue of Brent Grimes. He's not only a starting cornerback but your best starting cornerback. He went to the Pro Bowl. He loves South Florida. But he also is not going to accept the $5 million per year deal he took on a prove-it basis in 2013.

Grimes stayed healthy and played well after missing all of 2012 with an Achilles' injury. So now he wants to get paid.
The problem is Grimes will be 31 in July and most teams do not offer four- or five-year deals to corners on the long side of 30. Are you going to do that with Grimes?
What's that, you say? Franchise tag?
That might be your only recourse. It would lock up Grimes for another year while the Dolphins young cornerbacks (Jamar Taylor and Will Davis) either prove they have it or don't have it. But it's going to cost.
The 2013 franchise tag for a cornerback was $10.6 million. That's quite a chunk. Yes, the Dolphins will approximately $35 million in salary cap room if you include the carryover. But are you ready to use roughly one-third of that room on one player?
We're sure you'll figure it out.
Miami's unrestricted free agents
DT Randy Starks
DT Paul Soliai
CB Brent Grimes
CB Nolan Carroll
G Richie Incognito
TE Dustin Keller
RT Tyson Clabo
FS Chris Clemons
G John Jerry
LT Bryant Mckinnie
LB Austin Spitler
WR Marlon Moore
Miami's restricted free agents
CB R.J Stanford
G Danny Watkins
OT Will Yeatman
QB Pat Devlin
Miami's exclusive rights free agents
WR Armon Binns
LB Jonathan Freeny

Outside of Grimes, I am not sure how many of these guys are "vital" to bring back. I like Soliai, but will Hickey?

I agree Hayden. Grimes is the only must have and even he has to come at the right price....maybe you overpay a little for him. It'd be nice to keep one of the 2 DT's but both had down years imo......our run defense was bad this past year and it starts up front.

Ozzy rules!!

I want Grimes, but not for 4 years for any guaranteed money. If you could only guarantee 8 mil of that contract, now we're talking.

I agree Hayden. Grimes is the only must have and even he has to come at the right price....maybe you overpay a little for him. It'd be nice to keep one of the 2 DT's but both had down years imo......our run defense was bad this past year and it starts up front.

Ozzy rules!!

I blame the LB's for the bad run defense

I blame the LB's for the bad run defense

I blame a great deal on them but you can't blame the whole thing on them only. The fact is that many times this past year our front 4 got blocked and that is just a fact. Now on a 3-4 defense where the NT's job is to take on blockers then you can blame the LB's more but this is a 4-3 defense and you need a better job up front. Believe me, our LB's sucked in 2013, specialy they couldn't tackle but the front 4 has to share some of the blame too.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom