Free Agent WR Option For Fins No One Is Talking About | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free Agent WR Option For Fins No One Is Talking About

Aqua and Orange

Poster With A Porpoise
Club Member
Reaction score
With everyone going crazy over Anquan Boldin and Antonio Bryant, personally I would be happy with getting Seahawks' WR NATE BURLESON.

His 2009 stats compare favorably with Boldin's last year (better YPC), he had a far better season than Antonio Bryant, he gives us the deep threat Ginn isn't, and would have likely had over 1000 yards if he hadn't gotten hurt at the end of last year.

Burleson is a UFA unless franchised by Seattle, and they are not expected to do so. If Parcells is not willing to part with the 3rd rounder (or higher) for Boldin, and isn't sold on reuniting with Bryant, Nate Burleson could be our man.
25giants2190-1.jpg

Actually the guy that nobody is talking about that would be a good WR option, though I agree Burleson is a nice option, is Kevin Walter.

i like Nate Burleson but he seems to get injuryed a lot but if we sign him i wont be upset at all

I know he is an RFA, but I for some reason believe Josh Reed would be a valueable pick up at a basement price

Sometimes I just don't understand fan sentiment.

If we're talking about a premium guy, he's too expensive. Or he's just a one-year wonder. Or he's an a-hole. He's too old, etc.

If we're talking about a guy that is not premium and therefore won't cost a premium, we already have him on roster.

Seems nobody will be satisfied until we can trade a 7th round pick for Andre Johnson. And even then someone is going to pipe up and say he's probably on the back nine of his career, is costing a lot of money and he's never healthy.

No, we don't already have three Kevin Walters. We have zero Kevin Walters. Kevin Walter is Kevin Walter. Brian Hartline is Brian Hartline. Greg Camarillo is Greg Camarillo. What Walter does that our guys, other than Hartline and Ginn, do not do is make big plays. He is 28 years old, has a lot of experience, and last year he caught for 15.0 yards per catch. From 2008 to 2009 he produced 9.9 yards every time the QB looked in his direction...and a touchdown every 15 times the QB looked at him. I realize that Andre Johnson was also there, but ithat doesn't mean that Walter was left uncovered or anything like that. It's not like teams were stacking the box against Houston's vaunted running attack and they could only afford to roll a safety over Andre.

Walter is like 6'3" and 225 lbs and runs a 4.4. He's a good athlete that knows how to create separation and that can catch the ball (dropped 4 balls the last two years). At times, we didn't have enough of those. And we're going to be picky?

If we're talking about a premium guy, he's too expensive. Or he's just a one-year wonder. Or he's an a-hole. He's too old, etc.

If we're talking about a guy that is not premium and therefore won't cost a premium, we already have him on roster.

Seems nobody will be satisfied until we can trade a 7th round pick for Andre Johnson. And even then someone is going to pipe up and say he's probably on the back nine of his career, is costing a lot of money and he's never healthy.

No, we don't already have three Kevin Walters. We have zero Kevin Walters. Kevin Walter is Kevin Walter. Brian Hartline is Brian Hartline. Greg Camarillo is Greg Camarillo. What Walter does that our guys, other than Hartline and Ginn, do not do is make big plays. He is 28 years old, has a lot of experience, and last year he caught for 15.0 yards per catch. From 2008 to 2009 he produced 9.9 yards every time the QB looked in his direction...and a touchdown every 15 times the QB looked at him. I realize that Andre Johnson was also there, but ithat doesn't mean that Walter was left uncovered or anything like that. It's not like teams were stacking the box against Houston's vaunted running attack and they could only afford to roll a safety over Andre.

Walter is like 6'3" and 225 lbs and runs a 4.4. He's a good athlete that knows how to create separation and that can catch the ball (dropped 4 balls the last two years). At times, we didn't have enough of those. And we're going to be picky?
I agree. Wouldn't mind Burleson either. Jason Avant and Lance Moore could be worth a look as well, though both are RFA's.

I agree with CK on his sentiment about Walter. While people are fast to say "Burleson gets hurt" or "Walter isn't Andre Johnson level", the fact remains that the Cardinals could demand something ridiculous for Boldin and some team could stupidly give Bryant a ton of money we wouldn't want to match. What then?

Having a 3rd, 4th, and 5th option isn't a bad thing, especially as the one thing we are all in agreement on is that something has to be done to bolster our WRs.

Burleson is an intriguing option, didn't realize he was a UFA. He also can return punts if I'm not mistaken, an area that we definitely need to improve. While he isn't a #1 WR, he is a big play "YAC" guy, something that this team desperately needs.

I agree that some of these FA WR have SOME upside. Hell, I even had Walter on my fantasy squad two years ago and brought him off of the bench a few times with relative success. But you have to remember, their are 3 guys on our team already that also have that same upside in Bess, Hartline, and Camarillo. Sure they have different skill sets from one another, but none of them and none of the guys in listed in this thread have been a consistent Pro Bowl caliber WRs and therefore are not true #1 guys. I think when some people are saying that we already have a Kevin Walter on our team, they are really referring to the depth chart at WR. We already have a #2 (Hartline or Ginn), #3 (Bess or Cam in the slot), #4 (Cam or Hartline), AND #5 (Turner).

Seriously, Q or Dez Bryant are the only 2 WR I'd be happy about getting. Walter fits that underrated category and very well may blossom more under this Dolphins CS, but I'd rather hedge my bets on an absolute freak of nature, a la Brandon Marshall (head-case aside), Q, or Dez Bryant, as we don't have enough room on the roster for any of these other guys.

I agree with CK on his sentiment about Walter. While people are fast to say "Burleson gets hurt" or "Walter isn't Andre Johnson level", the fact remains that the Cardinals could demand something ridiculous for Boldin and some team could stupidly give Bryant a ton of money we wouldn't want to match. What then?

Having a 3rd, 4th, and 5th option isn't a bad thing, especially as the one thing we are all in agreement on is that something has to be done to bolster our WRs.

These guys ARE great, as back up plans only. We need a PLAYMAKER WR and I just don't see that ability in these other guys. Again, they could develop under a new CS with a freash start, but none have as of yet.

These guys ARE great, as back up plans only. We need a PLAYMAKER WR and I just don't see that ability in these other guys. Again, they could develop under a new CS with a freash start, but none have as of yet.
They're better than what we have, and that's all that matters. You upgrade when you can at the right price, A. Bryant, Walter, Burleson, and maybe even Avant or Moore fit that.

Back
Top Bottom