Free agents we actaully MUST add - Offensive Linemen | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free agents we actaully MUST add - Offensive Linemen

I know there are those who advocate for moving Williams to Guard. I'm not one of them, but if we draft a Center early... then I'm going to say, we're leaning towards doing that.

@Feverdream

A side question for you since you’re a football referee:

Are shotgun snaps from Center to QB considered lateral passes? I read something once claiming Centers “pass” as much as QBs because of this designation. Doesn’t make sense and hope you could clarify.

@Feverdream

A side question for you since you’re a football referee:

Are shotgun snaps from Center to QB considered lateral passes? I read something once claiming Centers “pass” as much as QBs because of this designation. Doesn’t make sense and hope you could clarify.
No, it isn't a pass.

Technically, it's a snap. There is a section in the rulebook defining what constitutes a legal snap.

Man I’d do dirty things for Kelce. Bump Connor inside and that’d be a hell of a line

Ogbah is done after next year. His contract has a VERY easy out, and he now has back issues-- which is a career-killer for a big man.
When Ogbah was out, Sieler played a LOT more because we don't have another big end on the team. Sieler is a good run stopper, but gives you VERY little in the way of pass rush. Plus, his contract is up after next year and I doubt we can resign him. We'll likely lose both.
Chubb and Phillips are both listed as OLBs, and do their best work with their hands out of the dirt.
We desperately need a edge-setter whi can contribute to the pass rush. Ogbah's injury (and then absence) damaged our pass rush a great deal.

Ogbah is done after next year. His contract has a VERY easy out, and he now has back issues-- which is a career-killer for a big man.
When Ogbah was out, Sieler played a LOT more because we don't have another big end on the team. Sieler is a good run stopper, but gives you VERY little in the way of pass rush. Plus, his contract is up after next year and I doubt we can resign him. We'll likely lose both.
Chubb and Phillips are both listed as OLBs, and do their best work with their hands out of the dirt.
We desperately need a edge-setter whi can contribute to the pass rush. Ogbah's injury (and then absence) damaged our pass rush a great deal.
I agree it's a need but a free agent edge setting 3-4 DE who also gets alot of pressure is extremely expensive. We should try to draft one.

I agree it's a need but a free agent edge setting 3-4 DE who also gets alot of pressure is extremely expensive. We should try to draft one.
Absolutely... and there are a couple that I like in this year's draft.
My number one target in this year's draft is probably Michigan's Mike Morris, who I think might slip to the 3rd round.
He's a edge-setter first, and pass-rusher second, just like Ogbah. He's also quite young, so there'd be no worries about him spelling Ogbah for a year before taking over.
I think this is need meets opportunity.

I know a lot of people want to see a different position drafted, but I ask... what would our DL look like if Ogbah and Sieler were gone.

I think both will be after next year.

This is a HUGE hole.

Would have been nice to get a longer look at Trey Flowers pre-injury to see if he is a viable option. He’s racking up injuries, too, so perhaps a cautionary tale.

Would have been nice to get a longer look at Trey Flowers pre-injury to see if he is a viable option. He’s racking up injuries, too, so perhaps a cautionary tale.
Big men tend to lose their quickness... which works for an Offensive Lineman, but kills a defender.

My number one target in this year's draft is probably Michigan's Mike Morris, who I think might slip to the 3rd round.
He's a edge-setter first, and pass-rusher second, just like Ogbah. He's also quite young, so there'd be no worries about him spelling Ogbah for a year before taking over.

I know a lot of people want to see a different position drafted, but I ask... what would our DL look like if Ogbah and Sieler were gone.

This is a HUGE hole.
I like it. I feel like we have alot fewer holes going into next year than we usually do.

I'm not supportive of spending alot on RBs, like so many of our fans around here. Not high picks or big dollars. I prefer we fix the oline with FA and maybe get a ILB or a corner in FA as well. I have some hope Tindall comes out next year like a badass, but I'm not holding my breath. So a DE in the draft sounds great to me. I also wouldn't mind a QB around the 4th round, someone who can beat out Skylar and maybe even steal Tuas job if he gets hurt again. Like Purdy did in SF.

according to sportrac

Brown - 5 yrs $112 mil or 22 per yr
McGlinchy - 4 yrs $43 Mil or 10 per yr
Kelcie - 1 yr 12 mil
Seumalo - 2 yrs 24 mil
McGary - 4 yrs 70 mil or 17 per yr
Risner - 4 yrs 38 mil or 9 mil per
Powers - NA
Pocic - 4yrs 28 mill or 7 per
Taylor - 3 yrs 17 mil or 5.8 per
Beachum - 2yrs 7 mil or 3.5 per

Looking all this up sucked BTW lol
There is no possible way McGlinchey is available at 4 years, $40-ish million. He may get double that. But assuming that’s even close to accurate, we should sign him in the first minute of free agency.

Armstead-Jackson-Williams-Hunt-McGlinchey

With a bench of Brandon Shell, Eichenberg, and Robert Jones is a very strong OL.

We still have huge needs at TE and ILB, though.

There is no possible way McGlinchey is available at 4 years, $40-ish million. He may get double that. But assuming that’s even close to accurate, we should sign him in the first minute of free agency.

Armstead-Jackson-Williams-Hunt-McGlinchey

With a bench of Brandon Shell, Eichenberg, and Robert Jones is a very strong OL.

We still have huge needs at TE and ILB, though.
I didn't come up with these figures these are estimates from Sportrac.com

I like it. I feel like we have alot fewer holes going into next year than we usually do.

I'm not supportive of spending alot on RBs, like so many of our fans around here. Not high picks or big dollars. I prefer we fix the oline with FA and maybe get a ILB or a corner in FA as well. I have some hope Tindall comes out next year like a badass, but I'm not holding my breath. So a DE in the draft sounds great to me. I also wouldn't mind a QB around the 4th round, someone who can beat out Skylar and maybe even steal Tuas job if he gets hurt again.
Agree with most of this.
When I start to look at an upcoming draft, I usually look 2 years out. I ask, "who are we going to lose? Who would we like to get out of paying?"
...and then I look at the expensive positions first, because as you've said, some of these positions are EXPENSIVE to fill.
Not having a 1st sucks, but it does make drafting a bit easier, we can focus on cheaper positions this year.
...and it's one reason why I'm suggesting that we steer clear of OTs and CBs... Drafting in the 50s, both groups will be somewhat depleted before we even sniff the clock. So... do we take the 2nd RB or LB, maybe the first Center... or the 7th Tackle?
Safeties, Interior Linemen, RBs, TEs, ILBs... all tend to fall, and we need all of that except a Safety.

This is a HUGE hole.
I don’t care if ogbah goes but man, I'd love to keep Seiler......he's more than just a good player....seems like a great team player/teammate

I don’t care if ogbah goes but man, I'd love to keep Seiler......he's more than just a good player....seems like a great team player/teammate
I would too... but we are going to be paying Wilkins starting in 2024, probably 15M/year, and I just don't think we can then pay Sieler that 10M that Sportstrac says is his market value.
If he gave us a bit more pass rush, then maybe... but if he did that, he'd want Ogbah's 16M/ year.
I just don't see it happening. This will be his one chance to be set for life. He's gonna want to get paid.
Love him, but a second high Tackle salary is really tough to justify. The only way it pencils out is if we have to jettison Tua.

Back
Top Bottom