Freeh report on Penn State released | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Freeh report on Penn State released

I like this suggestion:

To all the fools who rioted after Paterno was justifiably fired, please report to Beaver Stadium to aid in civilly bringing down that statue. To all the sycophants who still proudly wear their “Joe Knows” T-shirts, kindly spend a day volunteering with young victims of sexual assault. It’s precisely because of silence and fear that a staggering number of children—one in six, and that’s a conservative estimate—continue to be victimized by monsters like Sandusky.

With its bronze finger raised to signify Penn State—or maybe the coach himself—is No. 1, the statue of Paterno now serves to taunt every child victim.
Blow the damn thing up.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...jerry-sandusky-scandal-coverup?eadid=EL/SICOM

As far as Im concerned this puts Paterno on the list of all time worst people in the world of sports. In fact it has to place him right near the top with OJ and LeBron.

As far as Im concerned this puts Paterno on the list of all time worst people in the world of sports. In fact it has to place him right near the top with OJ and LeBron.

Hey now, The Juice was never was convicted of anything except robbery. He beat the murder rap, fair and square.

Robbery isn't in the same stratosphere as covering up the Ticklemonster Tryst, so there's no way he's one of the "all-time worst".

This is essentially what Paterno's legacy will be from now on. Even as people who helped build Paterno's supposedly pristine image over the decades realize that they've all been duped. We all were.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8162972/joe-paterno-true-legacy

However, the most interesting thing in this piece is the part where Rick Reilly talks about the anonymous phone call he got one night from a Penn St. professor in 1986 while Reilly was there to do a fluff piece on Coach Paterno. There were folks back then who perhaps knew what the man was about long before anyone else did.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing to debate or discuss when it comes to assessing Joe Paterno the man. This was a deeply flawed individual where it mattered. End of discussion.

I remember saying as soon as all this first broke that every single one of 'em needed to be in jail, including Paterno.

When it came to placing Paterno somewhere in the pantheon of great coaches, a few things that I always dinged him for were lack of innovation, and lack of a quality coaching tree that he produced. These are both aspects that are important to me when it comes to ranking coaches aside from wins, championships, etc. Paterno wasn't impressive at either.

Furthermore, I came up on this era of coaches. I watched Paterno build Penn St. as an Independent. However, I also know how much he benefited from being able to make his own schedule as an Independent. It was a lot different once Penn St. joined the Big-10.

Most of the wins Paterno accumulated over the past decade or so that made him the all-time leader in head coaching wins weren't very legitimate anyway. He wasn't coaching. He was sitting up in the press box without even wearing a headset for some of 'em. This isn't coaching. It's figurehead stat padding.

Much like Rick Reilly and everybody else who feels foolish now for treating Paterno with the respect we thought he deserved, a lot of us would like a mulligan. I'm one of over 100,000 folks who gave Paterno a standing ovation when he led Penn St. out for pre-game warmups in Bryant-Denny Stadium in September of 2010. Saban wouldn't run the score up on Penn St. out of respect for Coach Paterno.

Like I said, we'd all like a mulligan.

Dude ran the whole show like the Mafia. His early days in Brooklyn must have influenced him pretty well.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/12/freeh-sandusky-football-camp-retirement/?xid=si_ncaaf

Along with a $20,000 yearly annuity and a one-time lump sum payment of $168,000, Jerry Sandusky wanted to run a middle school youth football camp tied into Penn State football as part of his retirement.
According to the Freeh Report, the request came amid an investigation into an allegation that Sandusky had inappropriate contact with a young boy in a shower in May of 1998. Ultimately, that investigation yielded no charges for Sandusky.
Sandusky, who had put in nearly three decades as an assistant football coach at Penn State, knew that he would not become the next head coach and asked to have an “active involvement in developing an outreach program featuring Penn State athletes.”
The Freeh Report also includes a handwritten note, apparently written by former head coach Joe Paterno, that states: “Volunteer Position Director – Positive Action for Youth.”

After the '98 incident, while police were investigating.

This is why I said this is emotion responding not logic. Lebron James in the same company as Paterno?

Aaaaaaaaand, it gets more disgusting.
Pulitzer prize winning journalist starting digging around Paterno's last season there and found out his contract situation. Ends up that immediately after Paterno got served with a subpoena, he knew the **** was about to hit the fan. Instead of retiring or playing out his contract(or you know, coming clean) he decided to press Penn State for more money, attempting to fight them for every penny he could before this blew up.

Oh, and his family defending him to this day? Yeah, ends up one of the reasons(i wont say all of the reasons, im sure they do want to try and "protect" Paterno's legacy) they have been so public in there denials and defense is because they wanted everything they could get(including massage chairs) from the contract, counting on a defamation suit if Penn State refused and the threat of futher riots.

All that crap from rioters about "He was going to retire at the ends of the season anyways! Why'd they fire him!?!?!?!" and Paterno's announcement that he would retire at the end of the year....well, he HAD to retire because it was written into his new contract and he was getting fat freaking rewards for fulfilling that contract.

In January 2011, Joe Paterno learned prosecutors were investigating his longtime assistant coach Jerry Sandusky for sexually assaulting young boys. Soon, Mr. Paterno had testified before a grand jury, and the rough outlines of what would become a giant scandal had been published in a local newspaper.
That same month, Mr. Paterno, the football coach at Penn State, began negotiating with his superiors to amend his contract, with the timing something of a surprise because the contract was not set to expire until the end of 2012, according to university documents and people with knowledge of the discussions. By August, Mr. Paterno and the university’s president, both of whom were by then embroiled in the Sandusky investigation, had reached an agreement.
Mr. Paterno was to be paid $3 million at the end of the 2011 season if he agreed it would be his last. Interest-free loans totaling $350,000 that the university had made to Mr. Paterno over the years would be forgiven as part of the retirement package. He would also have the use of the university’s private plane and a luxury box at Beaver Stadium for him and his family to use over the next 25 years.
The university’s full board of trustees was kept in the dark about the arrangement until November, when Mr. Sandusky was arrested and the contract arrangements, along with so much else at Penn State, were upended. Mr. Paterno was fired, two of the university’s top officials were indicted in connection with the scandal, and the trustees, who held Mr. Paterno’s financial fate in their hands, came under verbal assault from the coach’s angry supporters.
Board members who raised questions about whether the university ought to go forward with the payments were quickly shut down, according to two people with direct knowledge of the negotiations.
In the end, the board of trustees — bombarded with hate mail and threatened with a defamation lawsuit by Mr. Paterno’s family — gave the family virtually everything it wanted, with a package worth roughly $5.5 million. Documents show that the board even tossed in some extras that the family demanded, like the use of specialized hydrotherapy massage equipment for Mr. Paterno’s wife at the university’s Lasch Building, where Mr. Sandusky had molested a number of his victims..........

During a conference call, one board member worried aloud that failure to make good on what was owed to the Paterno estate could lead to another “reign of terror” by Mr. Paterno’s supporters, according to a person who was on the call. With rumblings that the Paterno family was thinking of suing the board of trustees for defamation, the board dispatched its lawyer to negotiate the final payments. All the board wanted in return was a release protecting the university from such a lawsuit.
The Paternos refused. Mr. Sollers said in his statement that “the retention of their legal rights in a case of this magnitude and complexity is customary and appropriate.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/s...ry-sandusky-inquiry.html?pagewanted=1&_r=4&hp

Wrong...as a Bama grad..if Bear Bryant was found to be involved in something this vile,as I have said many times,I would be first in line to knock the statue down.

Hell...at BAMA..WE FIRED A COACH FOR GOING TO A STRIP CLUB.

Alabama was pilloried for firing Mike Price. Media hacks like Stewart Mandel slammed us for the firing of Price. It's all right here in this piece written by Mandel back in 2003

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/stewart_mandel/news/2003/05/03/mandel_price/

what credibility did Alabama have to begin with?

If there's a more backward program in the country right now, I've yet to find it.

For nearly two decades, a revolving door of good ol' boy athletic directors, trustees and other officials have acted with less regard for what's in their best interest today than what they think would have been in the best interest of a man who died 20 years ago.

Sometimes doing the RIGHT THING doesn't reward you for a VERY LONG time. But for all the ridiculing we endured, we can look ourselves in the mirror.

In other words, it's not necessarily the programs with a track record of getting hit with "violations" that you have to worry about. If you're not getting hit with your fair share of "violations" as an institution, it's because someone isn't doing their job. Your compliance department isn't on top of things like it's supposed to be.

It's the programs that are "squeaky clean" and literally go decades without suffering any violations that you have to worry about. It means there's a power structure in place that's corrupt, and likely covering up something far more nefarious than recruiting or textbook violations.

The main thing that Penn St. alumni and Paterno supporters always hung their hat on was two things:

1.) Paterno built a football factory that had a clean slate in terms of violations

2.) He graduated football players at a rate much higher than the school average

Now perhaps we know why. As the Rick Reilly article previously mentioned, there were Penn St. professors as far back as 25 years ago that knew what was going on, and tried to tell journalists that were building Paterno up as a Saint that what they were doing was dangerous..... that they didn't know him.... Paterno would do anything to win. The professors knew that he was graduating players at such a high rate due to some book cooking.

There's likely plenty of professors who are tired of how things were run by this administration, and will probably all be exposed.

If they want to, they can probably tie The Second Mile into some sort of slush fund for the football program. Sandusky was given emeritus status by Paterno and the administration after they knew he was a pedophile and using the on campus facilities to commit his acts against these kids, and using the football program as bait.

Some disturbing quotes from the board of trustees at Penn St about the decision to let the statue of Joe Paterno stand. Disturbing stuff.

"It has to stay up," said another trustee. "We have to let a number of months pass, and we'll address it again. But there is no way, no way. It's just not coming down."

Ironically, this sounds like something Paterno himself wouldve said after discovering his DC was a child molester.

A sign on a wall behind the statue reads: COACH EDUCATOR HUMANITARIAN. At the statue's feet, someone placed a homemade sign that says, "Remember: He was a man. Not a god!!!"

Coach and educator.... OK. Humanitarian? Calling Joe Paterno a humanitarian is as ridiculous as that blogger calling Kate Upton fat. Remember he was a VERY BAD man.

The trustees "are hoping they can have more time pass and people will forget about it and then it won't come down," one trustee said.

Is taking a wait and see approach about situations that demand taking care of immediately an epidemic at this ****ing place or what? I should enroll in some classes at that place. Tell the professors I will turn the papers in about a decade or so from now. Id like to wait and see on a few things before I submit my project.

"We don't want to further upset the alumni."One trustee said the board is learning from its past mistakes.
"We don't want to jump the gun again,"

Really? Wow. Not jumping the gun was the past mistake you ****ing morons!!!! We dont want to further upset the alumni? How bout not further upsetting Sandusky's victims and the large majority of the country?

"They don't get to tell us," the source said about members of the public clamoring for its removal. "This is a Penn State community decision."

And believe me, it speaks volumes about the people running things at Penn St.

I was in a place where I didnt blame the university or the people of Penn St. But, as this thing goes on the people are becoming more and more disturbing. **** Penn St. **** Joe Paterno's legacy. Joe Paterno was one of the great scumbags in the history of civilization. He shouldnt have a statue. Im half tempted to put a posse together to go up to that place with sledgehammers and knock the statue down ourselves. Take that statue down. They may as well place a statue of Sandusky raping a kid beside it. At least place it behind the Paterno statue so that Paterno's covers it up. I mean really, thats about as logical as leaving the Paterno statue up. This is bull****.

Back
Top Bottom