Frerotte has slight advantage | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frerotte has slight advantage

rafael said:
I just don't agree with the odds. I believe the odds of AJ becoming the man a very slim. I also think that the team is likely to win more games than last year regardless of who the QB is just b/c of an upgraded roster and coaching. I also can't stomach the concept of trashing a season to get a high draft pick. You have to play the better player.

I totally understand. I would never sacrifice a win for a higher pick.

My point is that if Ferrotte looks only slightly better early in camp you can't name him the starter.

Feeley is going to be learning a new system, its gonna take him time, he's gonna need game expeiriance.

I'm not saying throw Feeley in to sabotage the success of the team, but to give him a chance to learn on the job.

AJ has a higher cieling at this point in his career, Ferrotte is not the long term solution, you have 1 or two years to "rebuild" as they say. Why not let AJ get a trial by fire rather than go the safe route?

Career #'s Ferrotte

15097 yards 54.6% 77tds 66ints

Time with Minn.

690 yards 58.5% 7td 2ints

His time with Minn. was just a small part of his career.. He didn't even throw for 700 yards with them but he had many bombs that people remember because it was only 2 years ago.

I just hope we don't have another year of the QB shuffle like Wanny had last year where he couldn't decide betweeb Feeley and Fiedler....pick ONE starter and stay with him. I think Gus is slightly better than Feeley,,,Gus did a nice job here in Colorado for the Broncos but wasn't given much of a shot by Shannahan, who decided that Gus and Griese were not the answer as Elway's heir apparent.

Gus Frerotte: Franchise QB doesn't sound right. There's obviously a reason teams don't want him. He may have had a flash here and there (Minn doesn't count because they were weak teams) but that's it.

Losman7 said:
I totally understand. I would never sacrifice a win for a higher pick.

My point is that if Ferrotte looks only slightly better early in camp you can't name him the starter.

Feeley is going to be learning a new system, it sgonna take him time, he's gonna need game expeiriance.

I'm saying throw Feeley in to sabotage the success of the team, but to give him a chance to learn on the job.

AJ has a higher cieling at this point in his career, Ferrotte is not the long term solution, you have 1 or two years to "rebuild" as they say. Why not let AJ get a trial by fire rather than go the safe route?

I guess it's just my stubborness, but I don't see much upside in AJ. I usually respect RS's player evaluations, but I don't see what he saw in AJ. My fear is that he'll be ok (but not good enough). Then his contract will get bigger so we're on the hook for that. We'll pass on a QB in the draft (or take one late) b/c "there are other holes to fill" and "we can win with a mediocre QB if we make the rest of the team better" :rolleyes: The result is we return to the Fiedler cycle of a good team that isn't good enough.

rafael said:
I guess it's just my stubborness, but I don't see much upside in AJ. I usually respect RS's player evaluations, but I don't see what he saw in AJ. My fear is that he'll be ok (but not good enough). Then his contract will get bigger so we're on the hook for that. We'll pass on a QB in the draft (or take one late) b/c "there are other holes to fill" and "we can win with a mediocre QB if we make the rest of the team better" :rolleyes: The result is we return to the Fiedler cycle of a good team that isn't good enough.

imo being merely a mediocre to okay qb won't get feeley that pay hike. he's gonna have to have a pro-bowlesque season, or he'll have to take a pay cut or get released.

Phishstix said:
imo being merely a mediocre to okay qb won't get feeley that pay hike. he's gonna have to have a pro-bowlesque season, or he'll have to take a pay cut or get released.

I hope so. I believe Saban is smarter than Wanny and I hope he saw what happened to BB. BB was a failure in Cleveland b/c he never found that QB, but he found a QB in NE and now he's a genius.

Rick and A.J. linked?

You gotta start [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Feeley[/font] and spell him with Frerotte. Berlin is [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rosenfels[/font] replacement, maybe. I say you cut or trade [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Feeley[/font] by the end of training camp if you aren't planning to start him. The guy has a cannon for an arm and we need to find out if it can be harnessed or if he is just a loose cannon. The [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Feeley[/font] dream is closely linked to the Boston dream. If we can just get the ball and receivers downfield... That's was the dream last year and it blew up. By the way, if the dream comes true this year, do we forgive [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rick Spielman[/font]? If it doesn't, and Rick is still around, Rick has gotta go.

look at Frerotte's career TD/INT ratio, it is terrible... He has had plenty of chances to be a franchise QB in this league and it hasn't happened

I hope we draft or sign a better quarterback next year because I don't think either one of these guys are going to do good but Gus will and does have the advantage

AJ does have the disadvantage of starting because of Frerrotte fimilarity with Linehan's system, But Gus is older and only had one good season cuz after that he slammed his face into a wall. AJ needs to prove his worth at Training camp and Pre-season and if he doesnt he'll play back up for this year and he'll be cut but i hope he steps up, he needs to , cuz Frerotte isnt gonna last as long as Feeley(i kno feeley is 29 but still). Aj has one last shot to prove that he can help us win if he cant then i was wrong

Losman7 said:
Guys, I'll give you my opinion once again (You know you love it)

If Gus is named the starter you might as well cut Feeley the same day, stop paying him, let him go to another team. Hell, you might even be able to get a 7th rounder for him if some shallow QB depth team has an injury. But if Gus starts this season its curtains for the Feeley expeiriance.

Why? Because AJ will be going into his what?...5th year this year, if he's not your starter he never will be. You will draft a QB early in next years draft because you will probably have a high draft pick due to Ferrotte sucking also.

I know, i know, Ferrotte had a brilliant 3 game stretch in MINN with your OC. But if you look beyond his gaudy numbers in that stretch you'll see that the teams he played were all in the bottom 5 in the league against the pass. Bottom 5 against the pass against MINN and Randy Moss equals big numbers for any QB.

You haven't got Moss, and The AFCE isn't bottom 5 against the pass.

Just hope Saban dosen't play favorites with "his guy" and let Feeley go by the wayside just because he looks a little worse b/c he's learning a new system,.

we'll see. Its gonna be an interesting year in the AFCE

I have always felt that giving up a 2nd rounder for Feeley was too much (perhaps a 3rd or 4th). However, to suggest that he is worth only a 7th rd pick is just plain uninformed. You can't be taken seriously after making such an asinine remark.

Losman7 said:
Guys, I'll give you my opinion once again (You know you love it)

If Gus is named the starter you might as well cut Feeley the same day, stop paying him, let him go to another team. Hell, you might even be able to get a 7th rounder for him if some shallow QB depth team has an injury. But if Gus starts this season its curtains for the Feeley expeiriance.

Why? Because AJ will be going into his what?...5th year this year, if he's not your starter he never will be. You will draft a QB early in next years draft because you will probably have a high draft pick due to Ferrotte sucking also.

I know, i know, Ferrotte had a brilliant 3 game stretch in MINN with your OC. But if you look beyond his gaudy numbers in that stretch you'll see that the teams he played were all in the bottom 5 in the league against the pass. Bottom 5 against the pass against MINN and Randy Moss equals big numbers for any QB.

You haven't got Moss, and The AFCE isn't bottom 5 against the pass.

Just hope Saban dosen't play favorites with "his guy" and let Feeley go by the wayside just because he looks a little worse b/c he's learning a new system,.

we'll see. Its gonna be an interesting year in the AFCE
Not a bad post but the things while we dont have moss we will have a really strong cast; arguably asstrong as minny's last year.

Chambers << Moss
Booker > robinson
Boston = Burleson
McMike > Wiggins
Ricky and Ronnie >> Smith, Bennett, Moore

GreenMonster said:
Career #'s Ferrotte

15097 yards 54.6% 77tds 66ints

Time with Minn.

690 yards 58.5% 7td 2ints

His time with Minn. was just a small part of his career.. He didn't even throw for 700 yards with them but he had many bombs that people remember because it was only 2 years ago.
He may not have had 700 yards but 690 in 2 and 3/4 games isnt bad at all. And 7td's aint shabby for that small amount of time.

rafael said:

Well when they made the trade with Philly, RS stated that they broke down every play of every game that Feeley played in, including all of his preseason performances. They concluded that he had a significant upside.
I guess you have more inside info on Feeley than the Dolphins do.

Nothing is worse than being uninformed and opinionated.

Back
Top Bottom