Frerotte has slight advantage | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frerotte has slight advantage

SECfootball

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
From our own front page, haven't seen this posted anywhere.

Frerotte Has Slight Advantage...
Posted on: 2005-05-19
[Sun Sentinel] Nick Saban continues to insist that the starting quarterback position will go to "whoever plays the best," but that 12-year veteran Gus Frerotte has a "little bit of an advantage" over incumbent starter A.J. Feeley and Sage Rosenfels.

"Because he has a lot of knowledge and experience in this system," Saban said of Frerotte, who played under offensive coordinator Scott Linehan the past two seasons in Minnesota.

"So he doesn't have the same learning curve that the other guys do, but I certainly feel like all three of those guys have done a good job."

Frerotte gets 0 recognition from us, the fans, and the media. We all look at Feeley as the sure-bet starter this year and talk about him as the Miami Dolphins 2005 quarterback. Damn, there isn't even an active anti-Frerotte movement like there is for Feeley. I know he doesn't really have a future with the team, but he could play an important role in the upcoming season.

Still, I pray for Feeley to perform.

Guys, I'll give you my opinion once again (You know you love it)

If Gus is named the starter you might as well cut Feeley the same day, stop paying him, let him go to another team. Hell, you might even be able to get a 7th rounder for him if some shallow QB depth team has an injury. But if Gus starts this season its curtains for the Feeley expeiriance.

Why? Because AJ will be going into his what?...5th year this year, if he's not your starter he never will be. You will draft a QB early in next years draft because you will probably have a high draft pick due to Ferrotte sucking also.

I know, i know, Ferrotte had a brilliant 3 game stretch in MINN with your OC. But if you look beyond his gaudy numbers in that stretch you'll see that the teams he played were all in the bottom 5 in the league against the pass. Bottom 5 against the pass against MINN and Randy Moss equals big numbers for any QB.

You haven't got Moss, and The AFCE isn't bottom 5 against the pass.

Just hope Saban dosen't play favorites with "his guy" and let Feeley go by the wayside just because he looks a little worse b/c he's learning a new system,.

we'll see. Its gonna be an interesting year in the AFCE

I think Feeley will be a good NFL QB. Yet, this is what I love about Nick Saban. He opens all of the jobs up for competition. Noone is safe from being replaced at any time. The guy that gives the team the best chance to win will start. Thats what a real coach does. Win now, win big, and win all the time. Thats why I love the NFL. The chance to change your fortunes fast is available.

Losman7 said:

If Gus is named the starter you might as well cut Feeley the same day, stop paying him, let him go to another team. Hell, you might even be able to get a 7th rounder for him if some shallow QB depth team has an injury. But if Gus starts this season its curtains for the Feeley expeiriance.

Why? Because AJ will be going into his what?...5th year this year, if he's not your starter he never will be. You will draft a QB early in next years draft because you will probably have a high draft pick due to Ferrotte sucking also.

I know, i know, Ferrotte had a brilliant 3 game stretch in MINN with your OC. But if you look beyond his gaudy numbers in that stretch you'll see that the teams he played were all in the bottom 5 in the league against the pass. Bottom 5 against the pass against MINN and Randy Moss equals big numbers for any QB.

Just hope Saban dosen't play favorites with "his guy" and let Feeley go by the wayside just because he looks a little worse b/c he's learning a new system,.

It doesn't make sense to cut AJ b/c his salary is low this year and you'll most likely need him this season. I agree that he probably never be the future and that we'll need to draft a QB. I disagree about Frerrotte sucking. He's been successful in other places (without Moss and against better comp.) in fact he's even been a probowler. I'm not saying he's the fututre either, but he is one of those old guys who can give you one or two really good seasons.

SECfootball said:
From our own front page, haven't seen this posted anywhere.

Frerotte Has Slight Advantage...
Posted on: 2005-05-19
[Sun Sentinel] Nick Saban continues to insist that the starting quarterback position will go to "whoever plays the best," but that 12-year veteran Gus Frerotte has a "little bit of an advantage" over incumbent starter A.J. Feeley and Sage Rosenfels.

"Because he has a lot of knowledge and experience in this system," Saban said of Frerotte, who played under offensive coordinator Scott Linehan the past two seasons in Minnesota.

"So he doesn't have the same learning curve that the other guys do, but I certainly feel like all three of those guys have done a good job."

Frerotte gets 0 recognition from us, the fans, and the media. We all look at Feeley as the sure-bet starter this year and talk about him as the Miami Dolphins 2005 quarterback. Damn, there isn't even an active anti-Frerotte movement like there is for Feeley. I know he doesn't really have a future with the team, but he could play an important role in the upcoming season.

Still, I pray for Feeley to perform.

I've seen plenty of Gus is the guy quotes! I happen to think he will win the job. I do think it would be better for us if Feeley wins it, and I hope he does. But I have my doubts.

Losman7 said:

Gus Ferrotte has better #'s than any QB you have on your roster.. Its like saying if Losman has a bad year you should draft a new QB next year. Give Feeley a chance he has started like 8 games for the Phins. Ferrotte in a journeymans role has been a better QB than Holcomb, and until Losman plays he is a NFL rookie..

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I've seen plenty of Gus is the guy quotes! I happen to think he will win the job. I do think it would be better for us if Feeley wins it, and I hope he does. But I have my doubts.

I agree. Frerotte will WIN the job in a fair competition. He is just more experienced in general, more experienced within the system and just has better skills than Feeley.

rafael said:
I disagree about Frerrotte sucking. He's been successful in other places (without Moss and against better comp.) in fact he's even been a probowler. I'm not saying he's the fututre either, but he is one of those old guys who can give you one or two really good seasons.

I retract my statment. He dosen't suck. He's not that great though. If I were you I'd rather take a chance on letting AJ improve from experiance, than letting a mediocre 12 year journeyman lead you to a mediocre season.

You get me? Make it or break it with Feeley (aka he improves thusly becomeing the future) or sucks it up(and then you draft your future high next season)

Many of you say Saban wants to win now, I think the only chance of that is with Feeley becoming the man, because Ferotte never will be.

Nice. Just what we need a Gus as our QB. Is it too late to get Fiedler back?

Dr. Dolphin 24/7

What really makes this a make it or break it year for Feeley is his Contract.. After this year he gets a nice paybump which he won't ever see if he doesn't play well this year.

GreenMonster said:
Gus Ferrotte has better #'s than any QB you have on your roster.. Its like saying if Losman has a bad year you should draft a new QB next year. Give Feeley a chance he has started like 8 games for the Phins. Ferrotte in a journeymans role has been a better QB than Holcomb, and until Losman plays he is a NFL rookie..

First off, whos talking about the Bills.

No **** Losmans a rookie, thats the fun of this season.

Comparing Holcomb, Ferrotte, and Feeley they are nearly identical. KH and GF have more experiance, but Feeley still been around for 4 years and has the worst stats of the 3.

all in all the QB situation for both teams is debatable.

I'd still rather have the unknown (Losman) rather than proven, and suspect commodities.

Losman7 said:

:yeahthat: can't believe I'm agreeing with a Bills fan... :lol:

Losman7 said:
I retract my statment. He dosen't suck. He's not that great though. If I were you I'd rather take a chance on letting AJ improve from experiance, than letting a mediocre 12 year journeyman lead you to a mediocre season.

You get me? Make it or break it with Feeley (aka he improves thusly becomeing the future) or sucks it up(and then you draft your future high next season)

Many of you say Saban wants to win now, I think the only chance of that is with Feeley becoming the man, because Ferotte never will be.

I just don't agree with the odds. I believe the odds of AJ becoming the man a very slim. I also think that the team is likely to win more games than last year regardless of who the QB is just b/c of an upgraded roster and coaching. I also can't stomach the concept of trashing a season to get a high draft pick. You have to play the better player.

Losman7 said:

Unless Saban just looks at AJ and sees not enough potential to go through a development process with him, I agree with this. Playing Frerotte is unlikely to ever amount to more than a Jay Fiedler season.

Losman7 said:
First off, whos talking about the Bills.

No **** Losmans a rookie, thats the fun of this season.

Comparing Holcomb, Ferrotte, and Feeley they are nearly identical. KH and GF have more experiance, but Feeley still been around for 4 years and has the worst stats of the 3.

all in all the QB situation for both teams is debatable.

I'd still rather have the unknown (Losman) rather than proven, and suspect commodities.

I just don't know why you have to go and say more bad things about Feeley. Saying we should cut Feeley if Gus wins the job is a plain stupid thread to start at a Dolphins message board. Lets start a cut Travis Henry thread because Mcgahee will be your starter.. Man the offseason is just killing you..

Back
Top Bottom