Frerotte overvalued? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frerotte overvalued?

t47c

dolfan way to long
Reaction score
I am amazed after reading all the post and threads how many people here see Frerotte as some kind of great QB. Based, I assume on his “knowing the offenseâ€Â. Let me say I have witnessed Frerotte play since his days with Washington. While there, he beat out, at the time, a quarterback that was a complete top five bust, Heath Shuler. My 15yr old Nephew could have beaten Shuler for the starting QB position. From there he bounced around the league never accomplishing much of anything. He played the last couple of years in Minnesota where he was a backup to Daunte Culpepper. He started 3 games in 2003 and had some success, as he did in Washington, he had a couple good games. Now there have been instances where a career backup finally broke through and had a couple good years, Jim Plunkett and Rich Gannon with the Raiders. It does not happen often!! Now I am not saying Frerotte cannot do it. I’m just saying you better wait and see. I’m also not posting this in support of Feeley. I am just warning fans that are touting are offense as explosive with Frerotte as the starting QB. We as fans, have a tendency to overvalue our teams players, that is fans for all teams. We tend to think; when they play for us, they will be better. Career backups are well, career backups. When you have players that have gone through 3 – 4 teams and do not start for any of them, it gives you a good idea of their talent level.

Bottom line he's our Doug Pederson. When the Eagles first got him the Philly media and fans slamed Reid but, Reed got him only to groom McNab and teach the system. Whomever that will be Feely, Leinhart etc... who knows.

Frerotte has had 12 yrs in the NFL. Hes good enough to make a team and bad enough to hold a clipboard.

Frerotte's best season ever saw him with 17 TDs and 20 TO's (12 INT and 8 FUM) and a self inflicted neck injury to end his season .....That was 8 years ago....... he hasn't started a full season since.

If he has to start the whole season for us, we're guaranteed to get a top 10 pick in next years' draft. And we're going to need it to choose a QB because that would mean that Feeley really sucks!!

t47c said:
My 15yr old Nephew could have beaten Shuler for the starting QB position.

If that is the case, then Spielman would trade you a 3rd round pick for your nephew

zachseau13 said:
If that is the case, then Spielman would trade you a 3rd round pick for your nephew
LOL.... that's funny

Another good example of what Gus is for anyone remember a guy by the name of Matt Cavanaugh. Another clipboard QB who was good for young QB's. The Cavanaugh's and Ferrotes are like guys who go to college and are great textbook guys study and study and pass the test but, when it comes to the real world they cannot preform because they cannot put it together in life like situations. So don't be so hard on our textbook QB he'll have his value and that's to groom our QB of the future. We may have to feel some pain of watching him play but as I said look at Philly Doug Pederson to Donavan McNab Gus Ferrote to ????

I never really see anyone saying he is a great QB, but a lot think he is better then Feeley, which up to now, really does not say much.

Your POV is well stated but appears to be "overvalued".

• Frerotte is a servicable proven back-up that has the ability to start games in the NFL.
  • He is not the "next"..... I don't think many, if any, on the board think he is.
  • Feeley remains an unknown.
  • Frerotte can assist the offensive development as he does know the system.
  • The WR unit and TE's will benefit from this.
  • The alternative would be a camp with all QB's learing the system... not good.
  • The rebuilding is a process, the Frerotte signing represents a part of the process... nothing more... or less.
  • Frerotte gives the other units and veterans on the team some sense of proven production. They know if Feeley fails they have reason to believe Frerotte can do the job.
  • Frerotte has value.... he is not "overvalued"

FISHFAN44 said:
Another good example of what Gus is for anyone remember a guy by the name of Matt Cavanaugh. Another clipboard QB who was good for young QB's. The Cavanaugh's and Ferrotes are like guys who go to college and are great textbook guys study and study and pass the test but, when it comes to the real world they cannot preform because they cannot put it together in life like situations. So don't be so hard on our textbook QB he'll have his value and that's to groom our QB of the future. We may have to feel some pain of watching him play but as I said look at Philly Doug Pederson to Donavan McNab Gus Ferrote to ????
my intent wasn't to be hard on Gus, just warn some people, if he is the starter, it isn't going to mean we have a great offense. That was it. I don't have a dislike of Frerotte... just a warning label...

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I never really see anyone saying he is a great QB, but a lot think he is better then Feeley, which up to now, really does not say much.
well, that maybe is the point... Frerotte at his best, is not better than what we have seen from Feeley.

i agree, ive been amazed at the amount of people who think hed be a better starter than feeley... i couldn't IMAGINE what would have happened if we had him playing last season, eventhough he probably would have only lasted like 2 games....

thedayafter said:

• Frerotte is a servicable proven back-up that has the ability to start games in the NFL.
  • He is not the "next"..... I don't think many, if any, on the board think he is.
  • The rebuilding is a process, the Frerotte signing represents a part of the process... nothing more... or less.
  • Frerotte gives the other units and veterans on the team some sense of proven production. They know if Feeley fails they have reason to believe Frerotte can do the job.
overvalue = being a good starter... not in the learning process or in the bridge context. I agree if he HAS to be the starter it isn't a great thing that's all. It means our offense will not be scaring anyone.

thedayafter said:

There are a lot of people who expect Frerotte to beat Feeley out of the starting job, and those same people actually think that would be a good thing.

There are people that over value frerotte but, your post is dead on accurate as far as Gus is concerned and what his value is to us.

inFINSible said:
Frerotte's best season ever saw him with 17 TDs and 20 TO's (12 INT and 8 FUM) and a self inflicted neck injury to end his season .....That was 8 years ago....... he hasn't started a full season since.

If he has to start the whole season for us, we're guaranteed to get a top 10 pick in next years' draft. And we're going to need it to choose a QB because that would mean that Feeley really sucks!!

Once again we disagree!!!!! You were one of the most adiment Feeley defenders, and would jump all over anybody saying Feeley will fail, but then you say we're "guaranteed" to lose with Frerote at QB???? Frerote is a vet who a lot of us feel can get it done. With the right system(which we have), and the talent(which we have) to surround him, a vet QB with a strong arm can look pretty good, and somewhat ressurect his career

Back
Top Bottom