Friday 8.5 Open Practice Tweets HERE!!! NO ROSS TALK EDITION | Page 42 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Friday 8.5 Open Practice Tweets HERE!!! NO ROSS TALK EDITION

If you believe in the old adage "you build from the middle out" in crafting a strong D, then you would probably start with strong versatile DT's like Wilkins and Davis, then perhaps add a strong safety candidate like Holland? At that point you force teams to the perimeter instead of taking the short route, right over you in the middle. Me likey...
On another forum,I posted that you have to build your team to win your division.. mainly a team that matches up with Buffalo. Tougher, good pass rush, lock down secondary, contain Allen on runs. On offense, long drives but with the ability to strike quickly… and contain their pass rush, which is top 3 in the AFC. If the run game is working for the Fins, they can beat the Bills. Beat the Bills at least once, and we can win the East.

One of the best defense in the league? Based on what? This is the problem with the false expectations for this defense. That same defense didn't shut down a Top 15 QB except a banged up Lamar Jackson.

I will wait a few games before calling thia defense top 5.
Extrapolating out the last half of games last year and returning all starters plus Holland and Phillips entering year two?

Extrapolating out the last half of games last year and returning all starters plus Holland and Phillips entering year two?The last half of games last year, Dolphins Defense did not face a Top 15 QB.
Dolphins Defense did not face a top 15 QB the last half of games last year unless you consider Mac Jones elite.

To be the best, we have to beat the best!!!

Dolphins Defense did not face a top 15 QB the last half of games last year unless you consider Mac Jones elite.

To be the best, we have to beat the best!!!
How many Superbowl champions have there been that didn't beat the best team in the league that year? You run into enough luck in the playoffs, you easily might not have to go against the supposed "better" team. Bills and Packers were the best teams in the league last year yet they weren't in the SB. How many times has NE won a ring and not been the "best" team in the league.

We can only play those on our schedule....
Are you forgetting the first 8 games on the schedule? This is even more ridiculous and unreal. This defense struggled against top QB's.

D. Carr had almost 400 yds passing
Tom Brady - 410 yds or more
Even Rookie T. Lawrence almost 320yds
Matt Ryan- 340yds

Let's wait and see this D with Tindall and an improved secondary. But I'm cautiously optimistic.

Are you forgetting the first 8 games on the schedule? This is even more ridiculous and unreal. This defense struggled against top QB's.

D. Carr had almost 400 yds passing
Tom Brady - 410 yds or more
Even Rookie T. Lawrence almost 320yds
Matt Ryan- 340yds

Let's wait and see this D with Tindall and an improved secondary. But I'm cautiously optimistic.
None of those QBs are scrubs. Carr was in OT. Idk nothing too egregious considering how much of a hot stink the offense was 90% of the time.

Two things to consider...

First off, and more than anything else... in many of our losses last year, our offense was invisible. There were a couple of games where the defense held for 2-3 quarters, then collapsed. They were on the field too long, and were asked to do too much. The fact that our Offense is better will really help the defense. Note* Running the ball shortens the game by keeping the clock running.

Secondly... pass rush. We didn't have enough. Not even close. Adding Ingram and the projected improvement of Phillip's should help... if Tindall works out or Wilkins takes the next step, we could have a top 10 pass rush.

What a ridiculously hyperbolic statement.
If we beat the team's we play, and end up in the bottom quarter of team ratings, does that mean the teams we beat didn't have "elite QB's?

Elite QB's lose plenty of games - ref. Stafford.
If he had been on a better team, he would have won more games.

Do you see what I am getting at?
Two things to consider...

First off, and more than anything else... in many of our losses last year, our offense was invisible. There were a couple of games where the defense held for 2-3 quarters, then collapsed. They were on the field too long, and were asked to do too much. The fact that our Offense is better will really help the defense. Note* Running the ball shortens the game by keeping the clock running.

Secondly... pass rush. We didn't have enough. Not even close. Adding Ingram and the projected improvement of Phillip's should help... if Tindall works out or Wilkins takes the next step, we could have a top 10 pass rush.
I agree. The defense was, with the exception of one or two games, very effective. They did run out of steam at the end of the games due to being on the field too long.

This is because playing defense is based on reaction to an offense, even when there is a defensive game plan. This gets tiring faster than offensive play.

Thats why, when an offense stays on the field longer it wears down the opponent's defense and saves its own defense keeping them fresh.

The best way to do this is:
1) Keep moving the ball and getting first downs until you score.
2) Reduce turnovers i.e., use a balanced running and passing game to "keep the opponent out of synch"
3) Don't hesitate to throw away the ball before the QB gets hit, if the QB has no running lane.

Back
Top Bottom