Friday 8.5 Open Practice Tweets HERE!!! NO ROSS TALK EDITION | Page 39 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Friday 8.5 Open Practice Tweets HERE!!! NO ROSS TALK EDITION

This was a presentation I saw in the 1950's or 1960's, or possibly the 1970's. Some of the details are blurred, but I've never forgotten it's impact on me because I thought the teams all had a common mind set. Of course, I learned to play football when you always played offense and defense.
So you aren't sure if this was 50, 60, or 70 years ago? and the recollection is "blurred"?

Well, when you played in the days of leather helmets..................

Decades ago, the San Diego Chargers hired a psychologist to examine the "mental" makeup of the team to see if there was something management could do in that regard to get the team winning again. The psychologist (or was it a psychiatrist) made some surprising discoveries and was allowed by the team to review his findings in a film review they made.

He picked the Offensive and the Defensive Backs as comparative examples. He went into the locker room with the filming crew and showed the two groups' lockers while they were on the practice field. The offensive linemen's lockers were to a man, neat, clothing hung up and toiletries well organized on the top shelves. The shoes were paired up and centered in the bottom of their lockers. He went on to say that of all the players complaints about practice, only the offensive linemen complained that practices were too short and wanted to stay out on the field longer.

Then he took the film crew over to the defensive back's lockers. Again, to a man, the defensive backs lockers were a mess. Clothing unhung and just thrown into the lockers. The stuff on the top shelf was often just lying on its side or sometimes there was nothing there. The psychologist then pointed out that all the players had an assigned parking area but one of the defensive backs parked two blocks away, just out of spite.

He went on to point out the Offensive linemen's mindset was that of a "group" and the simultaneous movements immediately after the snap a coordinated movement, like a military maneuver or dancers in a ballet. He then pointed out that the mindset of the defensive backs was that of an assassin. Individuality, stealth, boldness and cunning.

This was a presentation I saw in the 1950's or 1960's, or possibly the 1970's. Some of the details are blurred, but I've never forgotten it's impact on me because I thought the teams all had a common mind set. Of course, I learned to play football when you always played offense and defense.

I just loved it, both running with the ball and tackling guys.
I wish I had seen that, but it makes so much sense. I used to see this on the field all the time. So many players fit so neatly into a type... we had to work not to prejudge a player by where he played.

Respectfully, you have a top 25 CB making top 10 bucks.
Not sure where you're getting top 25 from.

You may very well be correct on that (my guess would have been higher), but seeing as how there are 64 starting CBs across the league, plus another 32 nickel CBs that play the majority of defensive snaps, prying a top 25 guy in his prime from another team in free agency, you are going to overpay.

And when the opportunity presents itself to pair a guy like that with your superstar top 3 CB, I take it without hesitation.

If I'm a fan of a team that's throwing crazy money at scrubs and strapped against the cap all the time I might get frustrated, but paying good players on a team with a well run cap is not even a remote concern for me.

Not sure where you're getting top 25 from.

You may very well be correct on that (my guess would have been higher), but seeing as how there are 64 starting CBs across the league, plus another 32 nickel CBs that play the majority of defensive snaps, prying a top 25 guy in his prime from another team in free agency, you are going to overpay.

And when the opportunity presents itself to pair a guy like that with your superstar top 3 CB, I take it without hesitation.

If I'm a fan of a team that's throwing crazy money at scrubs and strapped against the cap all the time I might get frustrated, but paying good players on a team with a well run cap is not even a remote concern for me.

I think the issue is that corners who don't play the ball well and create turnovers have diminished value.

I don't need a #2 lock down corner to run an elite defense. I'd much rather have that money dedicated to a pass rusher with a #2 corner that obviously can cover well enough but also creates turnovers.

Where we do agree, I don't pay too much attention to contracts as long as they aren't harming the current team or screwing your ability to upgrade other areas.

I expected to see improvement.
Yet you are judging before any actual football has been played. We can all speculate. That is really all we can do at this point. If you are taking the position that nothing we have done is an improvement, I don't know what to say. It appears to me that we have done a lot. Expecting to field a completely new Oline by signing 5 starter quality FAs was not realistic.

Yeah... Tua was a bum too. ...and Gesicki... and all the other players who the short-sighted folks trashed when they weren't immediate stars.

One of the funniest to me was all the grief that Wilkins took from these folks. "Oh, you never take a player like this in the first round!" they cried petulantly.

This too has been a trend.

I love Wilkins, but you can put me down as someone who would say you don't draft his skill set early first round. I'm glad he's here at this point but if I'm just going by positional value and what can/can't be replaced I'd have to agree he was over drafted.

That said, a good player at any position is better than a bust at a high value position.

Yet you are judging before any actual football has been played. We can all speculate. That is really all we can do at this point. If you are taking the position that nothing we have done is an improvement, I don't know what to say. It appears to me that we have done a lot. Expecting to field a completely new Oline by signing 5 starter quality FAs was not realistic.
Yeah you're putting a bunch of words in my mouth.

I'm just concerned with their performance so far. Hope you're ok with that lol

I think the issue is that corners who don't play the ball well and create turnovers have diminished value.

I don't need a #2 lock down corner to run an elite defense. I'd much rather have that money dedicated to a pass rusher with a #2 corner that obviously can cover well enough but also creates turnovers.

Where we do agree, I don't pay too much attention to contracts as long as they aren't harming the current team or screwing your ability to upgrade other areas.
I think the team disagreed (that they needed that other guy to run the defense they wanted to run), and it wasn't an either/or.

If they wanted to spend money on a pass rusher they could have, regardless of Byron's contract.

Let's hope he picks a few more balls, causes a few more fumbles, recovers a few more fumbles, so everyone can be happy.

It's fine to be concerned, but the level of concern should fit with the level and amount of play we have seen.

I'm also concerned, but at the same time I understand players are all either playing new positions, playing next to new guys, playing in an entirely new system to them or all three.

I don't think we are going to know how good they can be until a few weeks into the season personally.

I think the team disagreed (that they needed that other guy to run the defense they wanted to run), and it wasn't an either/or.

If they wanted to spend money on a pass rusher they could have, regardless of Byron's contract.

Let's hope he picks a few more balls, causes a few more fumbles, recovers a few more fumbles, so everyone can be happy.

Sure, but as fans we can disagree with the team lol

I don't see how that was putting words in your mouth. Your posts spoke for themselves. You said you "expected to see improvement", implying that you hadn't (confirmed by the original post as to how you were dissatisfied with the moves we made.

Maybe you were just saying you would have preferred we did more or made different choices. I am OK with that.

Back
Top Bottom