From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie....

Some of you may remember how SF used Roger Craig and Tom Rathman back in the SF glory years. I think it serves as a great model for how we could use Ricky and Ronnie in Miami this year. While its true they used the West Coast in that scheme, the running plays are not uncommon in any offense. In fact, that offense doesnt just use the FB as a lead blocker. The FB often is used to carry the ball, for misdirection, and for running routes. Linehan's offense does use the same formations on occasion. You have the FB running some inside Trap (OG traps DT), outside Gee (OG kicks out DE), and Belly or Slant (Base Blocking HB leads on LB....A FB Iso of sorts). A Fast FB in this scheme (like Ronnie Brown) could also run some Sweep, Toss, and Counter (Like old Redskins play). The real plus though in using this type of scheme though is not only can the FB get some quiality carries, but his impact on the passing game is huge. The FB becomes a threat on both quicks and boot routes. Ronnie Brown could become a huge factor in games in this type of role because we could (by formation) almost gauruntee him LB one on one coverage most of the time. His reputation as being the drafts best receiver combined with his speed and footwork could really make our QB's look great.
As for the HB, He can also have all the regular impact that we see todays HB's have in all phases of the game. Of course there is some risk associated with counting on Ricky, but Ronnie Brown could most likely be our version of Roger Craig...able to play both HB and FB in this type of scheme. I think we are going to see some exciting football this year Dolfans.

You are a true student of the game, my friend. If all factors with regard to RW were to fall into place in our favor, that certainly would be possible.

Then we could trade his sorry @ss, after he proves his renewed worth.

NaboCane said:
You are a true student of the game, my friend. If all factors with regard to RW were to fall into place in our favor, that certainly would be possible.

Then we could trade his sorry @ss, after he proves his renewed worth.
Exactly. Its a no lose for us if he can play. In fact, Ronnie Brown could easily play either position in that type of scheme. It would also give Evans time to grow.

Now that we've heard how it would work, what do you folks think are the honest chances of Linehan and Saban thinking that far out of the box and actually putting Ricky and Ronnie (man, that just gave me foosebumps typing it) in the same backfield?

DrAstroZoom said:
Now that we've heard how it would work, what do you folks think are the honest chances of Linehan and Saban thinking that far out of the box and actually putting Ricky and Ronnie (man, that just gave me foosebumps typing it) in the same backfield?

It was in Cole's article today - or maybe it was Cote's piece. Check them both out, there's some intereting stuff there. The more I think about it, the more I think it was Cote.

DrAstroZoom said:

I'd say the chances are pretty darn good. Linehan found a way to keep Michael Bennett, Onterrio Smith and Moe Williams all working together, and Williams sometimes lined up at FB in those formations. I think the only thing that kept it from being more regular was the presence of Jim Kleinsasser, who might be the best blocking FB/H-back/2nd TE/whatever you want to call him in the NFL (he's certainly top 3).

Back
Top Bottom