From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie....

Some of you may remember how SF used Roger Craig and Tom Rathman back in the SF glory years. I think it serves as a great model for how we could use Ricky and Ronnie in Miami this year. While its true they used the West Coast in that scheme, the running plays are not uncommon in any offense. In fact, that offense doesnt just use the FB as a lead blocker. The FB often is used to carry the ball, for misdirection, and for running routes. Linehan's offense does use the same formations on occasion. You have the FB running some inside Trap (OG traps DT), outside Gee (OG kicks out DE), and Belly or Slant (Base Blocking HB leads on LB....A FB Iso of sorts). A Fast FB in this scheme (like Ronnie Brown) could also run some Sweep, Toss, and Counter (Like old Redskins play). The real plus though in using this type of scheme though is not only can the FB get some quiality carries, but his impact on the passing game is huge. The FB becomes a threat on both quicks and boot routes. Ronnie Brown could become a huge factor in games in this type of role because we could (by formation) almost gauruntee him LB one on one coverage most of the time. His reputation as being the drafts best receiver combined with his speed and footwork could really make our QB's look great.
As for the HB, He can also have all the regular impact that we see todays HB's have in all phases of the game. Of course there is some risk associated with counting on Ricky, but Ronnie Brown could most likely be our version of Roger Craig...able to play both HB and FB in this type of scheme. If we decide to eventually trade Ricky we'd have no void as Ronnie Brown can play either position. FB Evans would also be a nice fit in this type of run scheme.

I think we are going to see some exciting football this year Dolfans.

we released konrad and hired scott linehan as our OC and still people talk about the FB position on our team.... :shakeno:

Rathman and Craig were used alot on swing passes and screens and they opened things up for Jerry Rice....I don't see Ricky catching many passes but I think Brown has the hands if we go to this type of scheme. I think the main thing Ricky and Brown would give us is a ton of options....teams would not be able to focus on one back to shot down, and this in turn gives our receivers a big edge. :)

I think the assumption is that Linehan will adapt his offense to the talent he has. If they really believe that RW has (or can) regain his form, then he only helps the team by being on the field. They're not bringing him back for his great locker room presence.

thecoordinator said:
we released konrad and hired scott linehan as our OC and still people talk about the FB position on our team.... :shakeno:
Wow. You seem to have a great deal of knowledge Dolfan. Thanks for sharing. Could you please help me out with a few novice questions of mine?

- Has Linehan ever used a FB in his systems as an OC? If so, how exactly has he used them? Have you attended any coaching clinincs that he has taught at? If so where...when? What exactly are the foundations of his scheme as an OC?

- Why did Saban sign FB Heath Evans? Why do we have FB Jamar Martin on our roster? How does this fact relate to your post?

- When we drafted Ronnie Brown, Saban was asked if that mean't that Ricky was no longer a part of his plans. Saban responded that part of his attraction to Ronnie Brown was that not only could he play both HB and FB well, but that he also was the kind of team player that would fit into a crowded backfield. How does that comment reflect your ideas?

I eagerly await your well educated response.

thecoordinator said:
I believe that Linehan as well as Saban will adapt the offense to the personnel. Look at Saban's LSU years and each year he won with a different style of offense.... when he had Rohan Davies they threw the ball a lot. Last year when they had a marginal QB they ran the ball most of the time. Saban excels at molding the team's personality to that of his players skills.

Roman529 said:
Rathman and Craig were used alot on swing passes and screens and they opened things up for Jerry Rice....I don't see Ricky catching many passes but I think Brown has the hands if we go to this type of scheme. I think the main thing Ricky and Brown would give us is a ton of options....teams would not be able to focus on one back to shot down, and this in turn gives our receivers a big edge. :)
Don't forget that Ricky caught some screens for us, and before he was in our formerly conservative scheme he had a bunch of catches out of the backfield for the Saints. He actually has pretty good hands.

eltos_lightfoot said:
You missed the point completely.

ok, then let me make my own point. drafting a tail back with the #2 pick and then paying him a fat contract to play FB is utterly asinine.

DOLFANMIKE said:
Don't forget that Ricky caught some screens for us, and before he was in our formerly conservative sheme he had a bunch of catches out of the backfield for the Saints. He actually has pretty good hands.

It seems like when we first got Ricky we used him on some screen passes and then the last year or so all we did was try to pound Ricky for 35+ carries a game....I think that is why Ricky wore down and was a big part in his retirement decision. If we could get Ricky to come back and cut his carries to 15-20 and have RB as the main back I think that would be the best option.

thecoordinator said:
ok, then let me make my own point. drafting a tail back with the #2 pick and then paying him a fat contract to play FB is utterly asinine.
Boy are you on a role. Another great post.

Here's those questions again in case you lost them.
- Has Linehan ever used a FB in his systems as an OC? If so, how exactly has he used them? Have you attended any coaching clinincs that he has taught at? If so where...when? What exactly are the foundations of his scheme as an OC?

- Why did Saban sign FB Heath Evans? Why do we have FB Jamar Martin on our roster? How does this fact relate to your post?

- When we drafted Ronnie Brown, Saban was asked if that mean't that Ricky was no longer a part of his plans. Saban responded that part of his attraction to Ronnie Brown was that not only could he play both HB and FB well, but that he also was the kind of team player that would fit into a crowded backfield. How does that comment reflect your ideas?

BTW - When we drafted Ronnie, Ricky hadnt announced he was coming back, and the thought might have been that he was BPA and could serve in a variety of roles, including starting at Tailback. However, I guess maybe you are right. We'd be better served having brown sit on the bench rather than playing FB if he cant beat out Ricky after the suspension because playing him at FB would be "asinine". Afterall, why would we want a big, strong, fast, pass catching FB that can run or block on the field. Right?

No reason to think outside the box here I guess.

DOLFANMIKE said:
Wow. You seem to have a great deal of knowledge Dolfan. Thanks for sharing. Could you please help me out with a few novice questions of mine?

I eagerly await your well educated response.

:0wned:

DOLFANMIKE said:

BTW - When we drafted Ronnie, Ricky hadnt announced he was coming back, and the thought might have been that he was BPA and could serve in a variety of roles, including starting at Tailback. However, I guess maybe you are right. We'd be better served having brown sit on the bench rather than playing FB if he cant beat out Ricky after the suspension because playing him at FB would be "asinine". Afterall, why would we want a big, strong, fast, pass catching FB that can run or block on the field. Right?

BAM! SMASH! ZOWIE!:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

DOLFANMIKE said:

Here's those questions again in case you lost them.

I completely agree with your stance, DolFanMike. Not only does he provide insurance at TB (especially since Ricky hasn't signed), but getting both players on the field simultaneously would give us more options.

NJ_Fin_Fan said:

I completely agree with your stance, DolFanMike. Not only does he provide insurance at TB (especially since Ricky hasn't signed), but getting both players on the field simultaneously would give us more options.
To think of the scheme in its simplest form, think of how our FB catches the ball in the flats. Now picture Ronnie Brown as that FB in the flat or seam route taking that quick route 50 yards for a TD when matched up alone with an LB. It is easy to flood one side of the field with our WR combo of Boston, Chambers, and Booker, or Mcmike and force Defenses to either double Ronnie Brown on the backside with a Safety and LB to prevent his big play abilty....or they can play a full zone to our flood. Either way it is a simple read scheme and one side is in trouble. Its much easier to defend a slow Konrad type FB that has limited playmaking ability rather than a guy that can move like Brown. Just having him line up at FB opens up so many possibilites that a defense has to get very basic in its scheme to deal with all of our threats.
Again, another simple example....if a Defense wants to blitz they have to account for our FB (Brown) being in a one on one somewhere in the field if we are passing.

He could also run the counter, trap and off tackle play at a level most defenses just dont see in todays NFL.

Back
Top Bottom