From Darryl Blackstock's Diary | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

From Darryl Blackstock's Diary

fishypete

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Darryl Blackstock, Virginia LB

I just took my first trip to an NFL team's facilities. I was in Miami for a visit with the Dolphins on April 6 and 7. The town is simply beautiful.

After I got to town, I met with some of the coaches. (Dolphins coach) Nick Saban is a great coach, and I think he definitely is the guy who should be leading that team. I was in for a pre-draft visit with about 20 other players, including Maryland defensive end Shawne Merriman. I had a chance to talk to him, and he's a great guy.

I got to see Fort Lauderdale on Wednesday night when I did a little sightseeing with Dolphins middle linebacker Derrick Pope and Virginia Tech cornerback Eric Green. We just drove around town and checked out the scenery. The area is a little hot for me, but I do admire the atmosphere.

The draft prospects were treated to dinner at a country club, and we had steak and ribs and the fixings. I really enjoyed the way everyone treated me. The coaches and personnel didn't treat me like a kid, but they looked at me like a man that they are going to pay to do a job. After talking with the coaches, I know that Miami is looking into implementing the 3-4 defense more this year, and the coaches implied that I would be counted on to do a variety of things, not just run after the quarterback.

However, the Dolphins probably would have to trade down to get me. They have the No. 2 pick, so I'd have to fall to the second round for them to really be in any sort of position to select me unless they were to trade down. I have the utmost respect for the organization and the facilities are great, but I must admit that Kansas City still would be an incredible place to play. I'm scheduled to go to K.C. on April 12, but now I'm not so sure that I'm still going. The Chiefs might not need to evaluate me any further, which isn't a bad thing. That means they have a good feel for me, and the way I seem to be moving up in the mock drafts, that probably means they like what they see.

HYe sounds like a nice kid and I think he's a great prospect but I just don't see how we could get him with out a trade down.

sounds like a great bloke... good luck to him for the future. Hopefully, he don't become a Pat, Bill or Jet. :D

sounds like Darryl also realized that KC will be going DB in the first round so he isn't going there either unless he drops to the second.

Back
Top Bottom