From Pro Football Weekly | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

From Pro Football Weekly

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
According to QB Gus Frerotte, the Dolphins’ offense should be much more dangerous this season under new coordinator Scott Linehan. His first order of business will be to better utilize the deep-threat ability of WR Chris Chambers, a guy the Dolphins believe will thrive in the new offense. An indication of the direction Miami hopes to take is the fact that Linehan’s offense produced 40 pass plays of 25 yards or longer in 2004, compared to 21 for the Dolphins. Frerotte, who has played in Linehan’s system the past two years in Minnesota, said, “Scott is very aggressive. We’re going to do what it takes to push the ball downfield, get explosive plays, get big chunks. But also, he teaches us to be smart in the fact that, if that big, explosive play isn’t there, let’s be smart. Let’s get a completion. Let’s not take a sack. Let’s throw it away. … We just emphasized all those things, that to keep the defense off the field, let’s move the ball offensively. And if we’ve got the shot, let’s take it.â€Â

We may finally see Chris Chambers utilized the way he should have been all along. Of course, it helps to no longer have one of the weakest arms in the league throwing the ball. A.J.'s deep arm will be tested, and if he can't meet the challenge, Gus has proven that he can.

I think AJ has the arm to do it. He just needs to work on reading coverages better.

KB21 said:
We may finally see Chris Chambers utilized the way he should have been all along. Of course, it helps to no longer have one of the weakest arms in the league throwing the ball. A.J.'s deep arm will be tested, and if he can't meet the challenge, Gus has proven that he can.

Let's hope Chambers is used the way he should be used, I think he can be a 1200 yard player if used in the right system, and I think this is the right system.

A.J. has a good arm, however Frerrote I think has the better deep ball.

The be smart part scares me, because I don't think AJ is smart! In fact I think he is a guy who has some talent but is a dope!

I hope he proves me wrong, but I have my doubts!

that is great news... the past 2 or 3 years i felt like miami was the chicago bears

Well, I think having a little time in the pocket will help as well. The Dolphins now have a rushing threat with Ronnie Brown. Folks don't realize how much not having that rushing threat last year hurt, along with the fact that we were the worst coached football team ever last season.

Miami does not have a Randy Moss throw it 50 yards in the air jump it up and catch it type of player.

Long 30 yard passes should do just fine

I'm on to giving Frerotte the starting job. For a year while we do SOMETHING--- ANYTHING--else.

TRADE for Rivers or Ramsey

Chambers can get as high as Moss though. People don't realize it, but he makes up for Randy's height advantage with one of the highest verticals in the league (obviously Randy is better, but Chambers can get VERY HIGH).

dolphingator said:
I'm on to giving Frerotte the starting job. For a year while we do SOMETHING--- ANYTHING--else.

TRADE for Rivers or Ramsey

Well, you are going to be disappointed, because A.J. Feeley will get the opportunity to prove whether or not he can be the guy to go with into the future.

KB21 said:
Well, you are going to be disappointed, because A.J. Feeley will get the opportunity to prove whether or not he can be the guy to go with into the future.

that's all we can ask for.

KB21 said:

I agree, Feely will get a legitamate chance this year. I see him doing well with a new system since last years system was arguably the worst in the league. With a running threat now a great deal of pressure will be relived from A.J knowing that he doesnt have to put the whole Ofence on his arm.

KB21 said:
Well, I think having a little time in the pocket will help as well. The Dolphins now have a rushing threat with Ronnie Brown. Folks don't realize how much not having that rushing threat last year hurt, along with the fact that we were the worst coached football team ever last season.

Well said KB. And the most important thing this year willbe, we should truly see what AJ is capable of. With some additions on the o-line, the best o-line coach, a real head coach and the threat of teh run, AJ will have what he needs to shine, if he doesnt, then that is a true read on his abilities and gives a clear indication what do or do not have and can accuaretly judge. It is hard to say AJ cant be good based on what he was in last year. This year our offense may not be fully implemented and grasped, but the support should be there that AJ will have better protection and the threat of a ground game that the bonehead mistakes should be reduced dramatically. If not we cut ties with AJ.

rickeyrunsover said:
Well said KB. And the most important thing this year willbe, we should truly see what AJ is capable of. With some additions on the o-line, the best o-line coach, a real head coach and the threat of teh run, AJ will have what he needs to shine, if he doesnt, then that is a true read on his abilities and gives a clear indication what do or do not have and can accuaretly judge. It is hard to say AJ cant be good based on what he was in last year. This year our offense may not be fully implemented and grasped, but the support should be there that AJ will have better protection and the threat of a ground game that the bonehead mistakes should be reduced dramatically. If not we cut ties with AJ.

The downside to that is this. If AJ doesn't do well, Gus can hold the fort for a short time period, but we will be in deep trouble long term. I sure hope someone like Paul Pinegar emerges at the college level, just to at least give us the option of drafting a QB.

Back
Top Bottom