From Saints fan (no smack) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

From Saints fan (no smack)

Clarence Davis

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Thoughts on the game and the Ricky situation.

I've seen a lot of Ricky over the last 3 years and I'll shoot it to you straight.

THE POSITIVES

Ricky is a powerful hard-nosed back

When he does indeed hit the hole, he hits the hole hard. There's a noticable difference in the way he hits a hole compared to Deuce.

He can carry 25-30 times a game and wear down defenses

I've always thought that he played hard every down

He's a decent receiver.

In the right offense, he can be a tremendous asset. (time of possession, etc)

THE NEGATIVES

He has a tendency to run up the back of his linemen.

He has a tendency to trip over the feet of his linemen

He doesn't seem to see the field as well as most good backs do

His balance is not good.

He has a tendency to trip, stumble, fall, just when he gets into the open field. Many times I've seen him run right over 2 defenders then just when he gets to the open field will trip on his own 2 feet or the feet of a fallen player costing him a big run. It happens often, believe me.

He has had problems with fumbling in the past. However, I remember a pretty impressive stretch he put togerther in 2000 maybe, without a fumble.

There's also the off-the-field stuff such as all the times he's been stopped by the police, and rumors of him being compulsively tardy for meetings etc. He's seems to be basically a good guy, and these things may not become a problem in Miami.

FROM THE beginning, it looked like he was gonna be a good fit for Miami based on the Miami team of last year. The Dolphins seemed to be one Ricky Williams short of winnng their division.

I don't want to read too much into preseason but, I've seen the TB game as well as the NO game and the Dolphins have much work to do. They have looked bad in virtually every phase of the game

I think Ricky will be just fine, if the rest of the team holds up. He's faced 2 very good run defenses thus far tthis his preseason but should get it going in the regular season.

thanks for the insight! as far as us having a lot of work to do, i don't put too much thought into preseason games. a lot of teams that kick ass in the preseason suck when it counts.

Exactly. By running a reverse, and some designed QB runs, it was obvious that the Saints put more of a priority on winning the game than the Dolphins did.

Preseason is preseason. Every team has a different agenda and until the teams start scheming for each other and playing their starters the whole game, nothing more should be read into it.

I'm saying the Dophins have work to do because of the procedure penalties in the last 2 games, the special team breakdowns, and the way they are losing individual matchups particularly in the OL

One big difference between Ricky and Deuce is Deuce will wait until a hole opens, then dart through it.....Ricky will hit the hole he's supposed to, whether it's open or not.

CD I agree with you about penalties...those will kill us even if the team is clicking on the play execution...I think this next 9 day practice session will be good for the Dolphins..away from 2 games in 4 days..maybe with a O line that will stay together and get to know each other and some fundamentals..The ST defintely need to spend a little more time together getting their act together. I think Jay will be fine now that he can play in pads and get the rush out..I throws I saw on ESPN is defintely not the play of Jay that I remember from the 2nd half of the year..I remember a lot of people on this board killing Lucas for how he looked practice..but all that practice he got in TC is showing in the game in terms of how comfortable he is with where everyone's at..Jay is still trying to push the situation and need a lot more reps to get to where Ray is right now.

Originally posted by Saint Greg
One big difference between Ricky and Deuce is Deuce will wait until a hole opens, then dart through it.....Ricky will hit the hole he's supposed to, whether it's open or not.

I think the only thing you guys don't know about Decuce right now is how he will hold up though a whole game,,and a whole season..Right now playing vanilla Defenses don't really give you a sense of how good or bad he can be..Miami preseasons are terrible...last year they ended 1-3 and you had to wonder...but you also knew it was the 2nd year of Gailey's O and they moved a lot better than they are now...I can see with the new O..they're still learning..

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

I think the only thing you guys don't know about Decuce right now is how he will hold up though a whole game,,and a whole season

That may be true.....but the same can be said for Ricky.....he's missed an extended amount of time in 2 of 3 seasons.

Originally posted by Saint Greg

That may be true.....but the same can be said for Ricky.....he's missed an extended amount of time in 2 of 3 seasons.

i believe marshall faulk has missed about 4 games in two years so you can take that with a grain of salt. i do believe RW will miss a few games this year. but what RB doesnt? he is not Taylor from jaxonville and edgerrrin james from indy at this point.

If you think James is injury-prone and Williams is not then I don't know what you watch. Drafted the same year, Williams missed an assortment of games his rookie year, while James stayed healthy. The next year, Williams broke his ankle(?) and missed the last few games while James played the whole year. Last year, Williams stayed healthy, while James tore something in his knee and missed over half the season.
So let's analyze here:
Healthy Seasons Injured Seasons
Williams: 1 2
James: 2 1

That is all.

Originally posted by finfan54

i believe marshall faulk has missed about 4 games in two years so you can take that with a grain of salt. i do believe RW will miss a few games this year. but what RB doesnt? he is not Taylor from jaxonville and edgerrrin james from indy at this point.

Well Ricky didn't miss 4 games in 2 yrs......he missed 10 games in 2 yrs.....11 if you want to count our playoff win vs. the Rams.

Ricky had his most serious injury in the second season, when he missed 6 regular season games and a playoff game because of a broken ankle. He had exactly 1000 yards, which was 100 per game. I remember that he also had a very long streak of 1000 yard games that year.

Thanks Clarence D. for giving a good insight on Ricky. The only thing I would say is that Ricky is a very good reciever for a RB.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Ricky had his most serious injury in the second season, when he missed 6 regular season games and a playoff game because of a broken ankle. He had exactly 1000 yards, which was 100 per game. I remember that he also had a very long streak of 1000 yard games that year.

I think he had 4 or 5 100yrd games in a row....probably would've been his best year, had he not gotten injured. Of course, 2000 was a great year for alot of saints......Brooks, Blake, Horn, etc.

Back
Top Bottom