Fromm declares... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fromm declares...

Just read this, I felt after I read that article in the post I put out yesterday (that only CK bothered to read, thanks guys :)), that something was going down differently than expected. What I think happened is that Smart started to question Fromm's value to his team for the first time towards the end of the season, I think it overflowed a bit in their bowl game, at one point you could see Smart remonstrating with one of his assistants when Fromm missed an easy throw. Apparently Fromm met Smart post the bowl game, and didn't get the answers he was looking for, he could have been looking for assurances on being the starter in 2020 or that they would finally open out the offense a little and show case what he can do, I don't know. But I think he wanted to go back, something obviously changed.

In terms of the decision, I do think he should have returned but if he wasn't given those assurances he's probably made the right decision for himself, a further year along a similar line as 2019 would have really hurt his stock to the point where he could become a 4th or 5th rounder. Right now I think he probably goes late 1 or early 2 because of the over valuation of the game's most important position. If the Pats played in a dome, he could be perfect for them but that climate will not suit him at all. I think The Saints, who have all three of their QBs as free agents could be a great landing spot for him, he needs to be in a dome.

This season served to drop Jake Fromm down to where he should be. I thought it was always inevitable. That's why I've never been particularly interested in him. The NFL has plenty of room for players of that caliber. Fromm is starting caliber. I prefer him above Herbert and I'd take him above Haskins from last year and Eason from this year. But as Slimm mentioned in another post there is zero reason for an opponent to fear Jake Fromm. Absolutely you take your chances, knowing how unlikely it is that Fromm will match point to point.

Those numbers ckparrothead posted were cute if this were the NFL and not college football, where 30 or even 35 points doesn't get you much of anything. The league forced Mitch Trubisky high into the first round when North Carolina was 44th in the nation in points per game during his only season as full time starter. This season Georgia was 49th. Fromm has managed better than that previously but nothing outstanding, nothing close to final roll call of 2018 season when the top 4 scoring teams were Oklahoma (Kyler Murray), Utah State (Jordan Love), Alabama (Tua Tagovailoa) and Clemson (Trevor Lawrence). This season the same roll call is LSU, Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson. Washington and Eason were 41st. Good luck taking him early. I already rattled off the stats and points Eason posted while blowing those 3 games as favorite of 13.5 or greater.

Fromm is a nice player. If he were at a lesser school I think he would have been a late discovered mid round fascination like Easton Stick. The Dolphins are better off understanding what they have in Josh Rosen than forcing something high with Jake Fromm.

Rosen and Darnold, BTW, were also not great at points per game while Lamar Jackson excelled in that category, especially during his Heisman season.
Great points. I like Fromm, but I don't love him. I think he would work in New Orleans or New England with the coaching staffs in place there. But he's not overly exciting. I've always thought he was a little bit like Kirk Cousins.

With Burrow and Tua its easy to forecast them as eventual top 10 quarterbacks in the NFL. They may or may not achieve that, obviously, depending on the teams they end up with, injuries etc. Herbert and Love are harder sells. I don't see either as top 10 caliber, but they could become that depending on the teams they end up with. Hurts is intriguing due to his athletic ability. My gut is you have to design an offense around him, not force him into an offense. Much like John Harbaugh did with Lamar Jackson. Load up on tight ends, get the running game going.

I guess my biggest point is it really depends where these quarterbacks end up. Nobody could have ever forecast Tom Brady to be anything more than a backup. He got with a coach that minimized his weaknesses (lack of athletic ability) and maximized his strengths (short-game accuracy, decision making etc.) More than anything, he build a defense and running game around him.

Hah. I laughed. I mean truly you never know. I do think Fromm is a low floor guy, but also a high ceiling guy. So who knows.
If those guys make up North they could rewrite the CFL record books

we have so many tweeners and I like both of them in the CFL Fromm could have a 15-17 year carreer - Trace runs too much to last that long but my he would be special up here

If those guys make up North they could rewrite the CFL record books

we have so many tweeners and I like both of them in the CFL Fromm could have a 15-17 year carreer - Trace runs too much to last that long but my he would be special up here

Could you imagine the difficulties Fromm would have throwing a ball at McMahon in November, lol. Think it would kill the kid if he had to come up here.

Could you imagine the difficulties Fromm would have throwing a ball at McMahon in November, lol. Think it would kill the kid if he had to come up here.
Good point!

He will have to adjust they all gave to adjust and have to hand off / run the ball a bit -

Calgary is baumy compared to WPG /Edm/ Sask but the guy might end up in the dome with BC they like former dolphins too

Are you Canadian too? I met a guy on here from Chestermere 10 min away from me about 10 years ago lol

Good point!

He will have to adjust they all gave to adjust and have to hand off / run the ball a bit -

Calgary is baumy compared to WPG /Edm/ Sask but the guy might end up in the dome with BC they like former dolphins too

Are you Canadian too? I met a guy on here from Chestermere 10 min away from me about 10 years ago lol

I have a Canadian passport, so I guess I am (don't tell anyone, I don't like hockey, as they may deport me), but I was born a bred in a combination of Newcastle in England and Majorca in Spain. Married a Canadian while I was living in the US (Florida and NYC) and ended up here in Calgary about 12 years ago. I see a few fins fans around town here, but we are few and far between. McMahon's wind tunnel thing could blow the kid over.

I have a Canadian passport, so I guess I am (don't tell anyone, I don't like hockey, as they may deport me), but I was born a bred in a combination of Newcastle in England and Majorca in Spain. Married a Canadian while I was living in the US (Florida and NYC) and ended up here in Calgary about 12 years ago. I see a few fins fans around town here, but we are few and far between. McMahon's wind tunnel thing could blow the kid over.
Cool thanks for the insight - if we start to win the fin fans will wear their colours again

I can assure you the wind is far worse in Regina lol

Cool thanks for the insight - if we start to win the fin fans will wear their colours again

I can assure you the wind is far worse in Regina lol

Lol, been here 12 years and never found the desire to head the other prairie provinces, unlike the vast majority of Calgarians we have no family in Sask, I've heard you're right though. When we were looking at moving to Canada, the Calgary bunch tricked us by telling us when I expressed my concern about the climate that it was the sunniest place in Canada and the Chinooks make the winters bearable. What a load of nonsense that was, that first time when it hit -30 and below here, I wanted to go back in time and punch that guy :)

I bought a new winter bright teal dolphins hat, so I'm doing my bit to show my colours, not everyone I encounter laughs out loud at me :)

Hah. I laughed. I mean truly you never know. I do think Fromm is a low floor guy, but also a high ceiling guy. So who knows.
LOL,the CFL is not for every QB lots of good looking NFL prospects better than John Beck and Pat White were lost up here. Johnny Manziel the latest tire fire. But the cerebral QB who has the arm strength to throw to the far sideline can have a good career up here. It is a league where no lead is safe and the rules favour the offense. There is a lot of gimmicky offense for the athletic QB. It usually takes about 4-5 years for the unsigned QBs to wash up on the CFL shore so to speak, but I hope Fromm sticks in the NFL I truly do.

I liked Fromm more before his junior season. This past season kinda exposed him a little more. He is very accurate, throws a perfect back shoulder pass and has amazing intangibles but he does have limitations. He reminds me of Case Keenum.

I talked earlier in this thread about how I believe UGA wanted to remake the offense around a more mobile quarterback - and how I believe that was a big factor in Fromm’s decision to go ahead and leave Athens.

I mentioned Wake Forest QB Jamie Newman as a kid that I thought might end up at Georgia and I think he will.

As usual by this time I’m into the following year’s draft prospects doing some film work and here’s a little video on Newman that talks about some of his strengths and weaknesses - and hints at a few ideas regarding how I believe UGA is going to use him as they remake the offense.

Newman is currently among my top 5 Senior QB prospects for the 2021 class. I think his game at this stage is similar to Sam Ehlinger in that they’re both 6’3”, 230 pounds and both a little bit better runners than they are passers of the football at this stage - although Newman is a little twitchier athlete. Plays a little bit smarter than Ehlinger in terms of protecting himself running the football.

Back
Top Bottom