Frustration mounts for DeVante Parker, ready for “big” season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frustration mounts for DeVante Parker, ready for “big” season

Our whole 2015 draft class is looking kinda shaky right now...everyone is either a bit soft, underachieving or both, with the exception of Lippett, good return on a 5th round pick there.

I thought the draft was pretty solid other than a few picks. We got Ajayi, Mccain, and Lippett in the 5th.

Parker is our most talented receiver. Money talks and I believe his play will follow this year.

Phillips is in his make or break year. So far, he's been an okay DT.

Douglas and Ced Thompson are the only players not on the team.

I'd take our 2015 draft every draft. We landed a top 5 RB in the fifth rd!!

I thought we got some great value in that draft.

This year will say a lot about how well we did IMO.

I do think Parker will explode and show the NFL who we really drafted.

We need to keep our core 3 receivers together and it sounds like Gase is intending on doing so.

Oh my bad SNOOP. I've done that type of thing before. I figured you just forgot Ajayi lol

I don't want to seem like I'm being an annoying POS lol

Whoops, for some reason I thought Ajayi was 2014. But with Parker, Phillips, Jamil Douglas and Bobby McCain being our first 4 picks that year, yea...pretty unsatisfactory.

Could you imagine? Damn that draft would've been something. 2 pro bowlers in one draft!!

Now that would be some serious value. Landry made that draft for us.

James has held his own and has potential to become better with a more solid base. (Needs to get stronger)

O.v.e.r.r.a.t.e.d.

Another first round Miami pick that takes three years to become an average player in the league.

LD

You think Parker's overrated?

We wanted to trade up to get a receiver in the top 10 ,but we definitely picked the right player over Kevin White.

Parker isn't really talked about highly other than what he's capable of doing potentially.

I think he's way more talented than Landry except he doesn't have that killer mentality and a few other things.

In his younger days, he's always dominated by sheer athleticism which I think he's learning can't happen in the NFL.

He sounds like he's put on lower body muscle and staying hydrated to dominate this year.

By watching the games, I'm sure you noticed him taking out the #1 Cb every game and opening up opportunities for Stills. ( A few of his TDs were created because of Parker)

He's shown flashes of greatness now it's time to put it together 16 games.

DVP breaking out this year could put us over the top. The way all our wrs compliment each other, it doesn't matter about stats with me in regards to dvp. If he's dialed in, the threat of him is going to open up Stills, or Landry, or Thomas. He needs to be able to be an explosive, whether deep or intermediate, player on every play.

I still believe Parker would look different if Landry wasn't so good and didn't get as many targets as he does. If Parker was on a team that fed him 130 targets per year like many #1 receivers get he would put up All-Star like numbers. In my mind health and opportunity are the only things keeping Parker from being a very good/dominate receiver.

I still believe Parker would look different if Landry wasn't so good and didn't get as many targets as he does. If Parker was on a team that fed him 130 targets per year like many #1 receivers get he would put up All-Star like numbers. In my mind health and opportunity are the only things keeping Parker from being a very good/dominate receiver.

Ya isn't it a great problem to have?..finally!!!

Parker will be as good as he wants to be.

Jarvis has the heart of a lion and under appreciated athleticism.

He can juke you, run by you, or go head on with you (Ask Donta Hightower lol)

If Parker is doing what he's saying, we really should be ecstatic about our offense.

Who would have thought 3 years ago we'd have this many ultra talented skill players that all are great at something different?

RB-Ajayi, Williams, Drake
WR-Landry, Parker, Stills,
TE-Thomas, Fasano

That's some serious talent!!

The only reason his opportunities have been limited is because he has hasn't been healthy. There are very few receivers in the NFL that would take targets away from DVP if he was healthy and consistent - Landry isn't one of them. DVP will be as good as he wants to be, only time will tell.

The problem isn't just a lack of targets. It's also what he did when targeted. Or what he didn't do. It was eye-opening last year to see Parker on high-value, game-changing plays -- where he was asked to go up and get a ball to win a game or ice it. Multiple times he misplayed the ball in the air, badly, or mistimed jumps, leading to INTs or incomplete. Someone said that Parker hasn't been the same on these kinds of plays since landing on his back -- I'm not sure if that's it, but it does look like he is looking to protect himself instead of high-tracking and high-pointing the ball in traffic -- leading to awkward attempts, mistimed leaps, etc. Definitely not alpha play out of that player.

I've only seen sparks, but never a full burn, of alpha play out of him. Not confident that that's who is is.

LD
Edit: It was Pandarilla that noted Parker's issues since landing on his back hard.

Last edited:
You think Parker's overrated?

We wanted to trade up to get a receiver in the top 10 ,but we definitely picked the right player over Kevin White.

Parker isn't really talked about highly other than what he's capable of doing potentially.

I think he's way more talented than Landry except he doesn't have that killer mentality and a few other things.

In his younger days, he's always dominated by sheer athleticism which I think he's learning can't happen in the NFL.

He sounds like he's put on lower body muscle and staying hydrated to dominate this year.

By watching the games, I'm sure you noticed him taking out the #1 Cb every game and opening up opportunities for Stills. ( A few of his TDs were created because of Parker)

He's shown flashes of greatness now it's time to put it together 16 games.

See above post.

I agree he's shown some flashes. Never a full burn though.

LD

The problem isn't just a lack of targets. It's also what he did when targeted. Or what he didn't do. It was eye-opening last year to see Parker on high-value, game-changing plays -- where he was asked to go up and get a ball to win a game or ice it. Multiple times he misplayed the ball in the air, badly, or mistimed jumps, leading to INTs or incomplete. Someone said that Parker hasn't been the same on these kinds of plays since landing on his back -- I'm not sure if that's it, but it does look like he is looking to protect himself instead of high-tracking and high-pointing the ball in traffic -- leading to awkward attempts, mistimed leaps, etc. Definitely not alpha play out of that player.

I've only seen sparks, but never a full burn, of alpha play out of him. Not confident that that's who is is.

Care to share these instances with the rest of the class?

I remember people saying he mistimed his jump at the end of the first New England game, but I think it would have been a tough catch either way. I recall Parker going up and high pointing four big passes that were negated. Two cathes were overturned because his hand came down out of bounds before his knee or feet came down, while two others were lost due to penalties. LD7 see's Parker struggling going up for passes, I see him as doing a better job in that area than any Miami receiver in recent history. I can't think of another receiver in the past 5 or 10 years that you could just throw the ball up and hope he out fights the defender. In that situation I would eaily take Parker over any other recent Dolphin receiver.

Care to share these instances with the rest of the class?

There were at least two glaring instances this past season, on offense. [I don't have time to go through all the games to pull them out, sorry. A grievous one is the ending of the first NE game. Watch his eyes, feet and timing on the eventual leap. Pretty horrid. Misplayed ball in air and had no chance to contest and catch it.] And one on defense: he misplayed the ball in the air, threw timing off, and missed an easy INT (on a Hail Mary). Not an alpha at all, on those plays. Parker does well when he can run the pattern and leap in rhythm, to the expected catch point, where the defender doesn't have equal sight for the ball, and no safety is worried about. If there are multiple defenders and it's truly a jump ball, he doesn't seem to do as well.

LD

Last edited:
I remember people saying he mistimed his jump at the end of the first New England game, but I think it would have been a tough catch either way. I recall Parker going up and high pointing four big passes that were negated. Two cathes were overturned because his hand came down out of bounds before his knee or feet came down, while two others were lost due to penalties. LD7 see's Parker struggling going up for passes, I see him as doing a better job in that area than any Miami receiver in recent history. I can't think of another receiver in the past 5 or 10 years that you could just throw the ball up and hope he out fights the defender. In that situation I would eaily take Parker over any other recent Dolphin receiver.

I'd take him over any other Dolphin WR in this category also. The problem is that people are pulling in alpha bell cow WRs from other teams and equating Parker to them, in hopes that he will blossom into them. That's what I'm not seeing yet.

LD

I will say Devante used to post a bunch of dumb *** videos of him rapping on IG. I haven't seen any of that lately maybe he's ready to ball now

Him rapping in his free time was a sign that the wasn't ready to play?

Back
Top Bottom