Full AFC East Grades (Plus NY Giants) | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Full AFC East Grades (Plus NY Giants)

Based on my experience watching tape critically, which includes comparing coaches tape with real tape, I disagree with your percentages. I think you're shooting for the low end in order to back your "we don't know enough about Henne" agenda. Just my opinion.

I dont have a Henne agenda. Yes I like him. But from what it looks like, from not drafting a QB 7 times in a draft, it looks as if they still think he can be alright.

How much of Dolphins tape is actually coaches tape that you watched? Just wondering. The Bird Eye view tape is what I'm talking about.

An earlier poster said that Mallet reminded GM's of Matt Jones. That is a great comparison. He looked awful sitting with Gruden. Bad posture, bad english, slow, country as hell. His agent should have never let him get on that show or should have at least put him in a suit, told him to sit up straight, and prepared him for some of Gruden's questions (which was probably impossible as Gruden is so enigmatic and just pulls thins out of the sky). Mallet lost a lot of cash screwing around with Gruden. He should have let his game film and Pro Day speak for him.

Teams that watched that show saw a former (alleged) drug user, with an aloof attitude, who appeared dumb as a box of rocks (Cam didn't do any better.) However, the tape showed the kid can ball. Matt Jones switched positions, so his situation cannot be compared. Matt Jones was also super tall, lanky, and and no idea how to run the WR tree. Mallet can make every throw.

I thought Mallett came off really badly on Gruden. I thought Gruden was singularly unimpressed with him as a person (as distinct from a football player). I have to agree with him too. Mallett just reeks of a guy who is going to make some pretty stupid life-decisions. If he's not the most intelligent guy, he still gets it done on the field. The issue is whether he is smart enough to avoid the many pitfalls and carve a pro career for himself that his talent deserves. I say no. The fact he couldn't make his team meetings and obviously came across badly in those he did arrive on time for is telling.

It's maybe unfair projecting onto a guy based on such little evidence, but I have a very strong feeling that he's going to be a nightmare. With him sitting behind a QB he can never replace in the near future, he's going to have plenty of time and motivation to really screw his career up and I predict that he's going to grab that opportunity with both hands.

I dont have a Henne agenda. Yes I like him. But from what it looks like, from not drafting a QB 7 times in a draft, it looks as if they still think he can be alright.

How much of Dolphins tape is actually coaches tape that you watched? Just wondering. The Bird Eye view tape is what I'm talking about.

I'm saying that over my long experience watching NFL tapes and college tapes, both broadcast and coaches film, I disagree with your assessment of what can be gleaned from a broadcast. I'm saying that I've seen broadcast tape plays and coaches tape of the same plays, and seeing something significant on the coaches tape that couldn't be seen on the broadcast version, is not as common as you're making it out to be.

It was bad enough to pass on Mallett, but couldn't they at least have found a way to get TJ Yates later in the draft?

I didn't see anything wrong with Mallett with Gruden. He was very polite "yes sir-no-sir" and had football knowledge oozing out everywhere...in fact he impressed Gruden. As for the "country" part...since when does how you talk have a damn thing to do with playing QB??? I guess Terry Bradshaw was "too country" to be successful in the NFL?? All I know is he has FOUR more SUPER BOWL rings than the idiots who passed on Mallett will ever have. We passed on the top runner in this draft and arguably the best QB in this draft for a center who can't snap a shot gun and an upright runner who fumbles too much! After almost a week..I am still sick about it!

I agree with this but then they have john daly sit next to him as arkansas alum buddies in which we all know daly is an alcoholic. why did they put him next to him? Mallett and his agent blew this one. no way you have that guy site next to you. it was a set up. But beyond that, mallett simply reminded people of Matt Jones on personality mostly so the drugs/alcohol stories just put up huge risk signs. thats it. Noone will invest big money on people who seemingly will just party likes its 2099

Apparently Sparano was able to gather enough off the "coaching tape" last year to bench Henne's *** half a dozen times. I think anyone that honestly believes that this front office and coaching staff is hellbent on allowing Chad Henne to drain their bank accounts is terribly mistaken... just my opinion.

The only angle of coaching tape that is significant as far as evaluating what's happening on the field in terms of motions, shifts, PSR and protections is the "endzone tight" angle which is used to evaluate lineman.

A trained eye can gather plenty enough information by watching broadcast film to form an assessment on a football player. As long as you know the proper fundamentals and techniques of the position you're evaluating and have a general idea of what the assignments were, you can watch 60 minutes worth of game film (20 minutes of 3 games each) and get a pretty damn good idea of what type of football player you're looking at.

A keen eye can get 60% or better on offensive lineman even without the endzone tight angle.

It was bad enough to pass on Mallett, but couldn't they at least have found a way to get TJ Yates later in the draft?

why do you think yates would have saved this regimes backside this year? None of those guys would have. Even though they did have their eyes on some. I thought they were going to get the kid from Idaho but then not, so really i see two sided arguments against this regime. You cannot have it both ways. I dont think any sparano haters would have thought his job was safe after this year cus he drafted a QB. Nothing is gaurranteed in the draft, including whether you actually get a franchise QB when everyone is saying they are one when not proven.

Apparently Sparano was able to gather enough off the "coaching tape" last year to bench Henne's *** half a dozen times. I think anyone that honestly believes that this front office and coaching staff is hellbent on allowing Chad Henne to drain their bank accounts is terribly mistaken... just my opinion.

The only angle of coaching tape that is significant as far as evaluating what's happening on the field in terms of motions, shifts, PSR and protections is the "endzone tight" angle which is used to evaluate lineman.

A trained eye can gather plenty enough information by watching broadcast film to form an assessment on a football player. As long as you know the proper fundamentals and techniques of the position you're evaluating and have a general idea of what the assignments were, you can watch 60 minutes worth of game film (20 minutes of 3 games each) and get a pretty damn good idea of what type of football player you're looking at.

A keen eye can get 60% or better on offensive lineman even without the endzone tight angle.

Obviously the endzone tight angle is more in terms for the shoulders WR's are attacking DBs, how fast they are eating their cushion, what they are doing with sinking their hips etc etc. You dont need the endzone tight for the o-line at all. But if we are talking about their draft and why they didnt choose to attack the QB position in it, I think the endzone tight angle is giving more information than the broadcast one. I am just wondering why they didnt choose to draft A SINGLE Quarterback in the draft unless they have big plans in FA OR they still believe in Henne.

i disagree with the notion that unless you have coaches bird eye view tape you can't make out qb play etc...i disagree with that wholeheartedly...and i don't need an endzone tight view to see if a wr eats up a dbs cushion or how good a route runner he is etc...oline play etc...

i don't need anything but a keen eye...the only thing i sometimes lose is the position of the safeties as the play unfolds but you usually get a wide angled view presnap and they usually unless they are dropping come into your view within nanoseconds of the snap anyways...

and if you ask me i've watched a lot of game tape of mallett and henne and malletts the better nfl prospect...no question to me...its all the other stuff that gives me pause there

as for miamis plans its kyle orton when the broncos offer him up for a 3rd rounder as soon as this labor crap ends...just wait...

Obviously the endzone tight angle is more in terms for the shoulders WR's are attacking DBs, how fast they are eating their cushion, what they are doing with sinking their hips etc etc. You dont need the endzone tight for the o-line at all. But if we are talking about their draft and why they didnt choose to attack the QB position in it, I think the endzone tight angle is giving more information than the broadcast one. I am just wondering why they didnt choose to draft A SINGLE Quarterback in the draft unless they have big plans in FA OR they still believe in Henne.

The endzone tight angle is for disecting a play from the inside-out... which begins up front with how the interior of the offensive line adjusts to stunts, blitzes, and slide protections. It's what you use to grade offensive lineman on reach blocks, etc.

Everytime you hear of an offensive lineman "grading out" at 90%, 95%, 88%, etc. for a specific game, they were graded using the endzone tight angle of the coaches tape.

I can tell a lot more about a receiver eating up a defensive back's cushion from the broadcast angle as opposed to the endzone tight. If he's giving more than a 10 yard cushion, it's irrelevant anyway. You're not going to see which shoulder the receiver is attacking.

For example, I could tell A.J. Green was the best route runner in this draft without viewing a single endzone tight angle. I could also tell Jonathan Baldwin was a poor route runner without viewing a single endzone tight angle.

I watched Jon Gruden find the flaws in Andy Dalton's decision making and missing wide open checkdowns using nothing but the broadcast angle.

You can gather plenty with the broadcast angle.

Also if you believe the rumors, they were intent on taking Ponder at #15 if he made it past Minnesota.... they "tried" to trade up for Ryan Mallett...

I doubt they spent the majority of their time and resources over the past 3-4 months with all these quarterbacks because they feel comfortable with Chad Henne...

I've kind of had an inkling all along - and feel that it's now more or less confirmed - that the FO and coaching staff didn't love any QB prospect after Newton. I think if they were picking around 5 or 6, they may have put out a solid effort to trade up and get Newton, but I believe they though of moving from 15 to 1 as unrealistic. I know you're not a Newton guy anyway, but that's the read I get. I hope this isn't the case, but I almost sense that Ireland had a talk with Tony S. and Ross, and they all decided that next year would be the year they get a QB. I hope it's not the case, because it'd all but ensure another year of our idiot head coach . . .

I hope we do have Cowher running things next year. I'd like him to keep Nolan, but if he doesn't, I'm confident that he can put together a great D with whomever he chooses. It's going to be interesting.

I doubt they spent the majority of their time and resources over the past 3-4 months with all these quarterbacks because they feel comfortable with Chad Henne...

Well, you know what they say: New regimes mean new quarterbacks. Let's just hope that comes sooner rather than later.

Also if you believe the rumors, they were intent on taking Ponder at #15 if he made it past Minnesota.... they "tried" to trade up for Ryan Mallett...

I don't buy any of that crap...QB is not a priority with these guys...but after the 2011 season WORK will be!

Back
Top Bottom