Full AFC East Grades (Plus NY Giants) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Full AFC East Grades (Plus NY Giants)

I think many of you are overlooking a few aspects: There is a REASON why several teams who NEED a QB, passed on Mallett. Tom Brady is not Brett Favre; Brady is the product of a system...Brett Favre WAS a system. Favre coached Rodgers to be top notch because he was just that darn good. If you put Brady on the Bills, he wont go anywhere. So having Brady coach Mallett...doesnt scare me. The Patriots are an easy team to beat, its just no team can seem to figure them out...but its obvious; theyre a passing team. If you have the top notch DB unit in the land, you can stop the Patriots anyday. As we saw last year, the Patriots were figured out by several teams. Again I say, theres a REASON why several teams overlooked Mallett. Granted, the idea of having Ingram and Mallett is very intriguing though.....but then again, who on earth is Mallett gonna pass to? Who on earth is gonna block for Mallett and Ingram? Joe Berger? Yikes! Not to mention several people said Mallett will be the next Ryan Leaf. I looked at Mallett's stats, and it amazes me that against GOOD teams, he kinda stunk.
First off W O W. I'm sorry but your thinking is so off.

Brett Farve was a SYSTEM ? Bull, when he was moved into a system that did not suit him he failed. When put back into a system that worked for him he had a career season.

You stop the Pats by covering receivers ? Did you not watch the SB when NY beat the Pats by attacking the QB ? When the Pats are running on all cylinders you do not stop them with pass coverage.

So if we had taken Mallett then we could not have upgraded any other position ? Why ?

Several people said ? Who cares ? I can understand if you looked at Mallett and then didn't like what you saw, but to throw all this other garbage around just mucks up the water.

Personally I would rather see Pouncey as a Guard. I reallllly liked Incognito as a Center. Now that we got Pouncey...what are we gonna do with Incognito? Move him back to Guard where he kinda sucks? Lets hope this regime signs a good OG in free agency. But Pouncey was a much needed pick, i just hope he isnt hyped up because of his brother. But he is the best OL in this draft.
I would like to have had Pouncy too, but not at 15 and I believe Ireland was trying to trade back and still get him. And he was not the only good interior lineman in this draft. Personally I was telling my brother that we should go BPA at that point and I thought Prince was a MUCH better value with that pick. Interior line you "should" be able to fill later. Especially if you really know what you are doing evaluating and coaching up a OL.

Daniel Thomas was a great pick. Some say the most powerful [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]runner[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] in the draft. 6 foot, 230 pounds. Imagine having two bruising [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]runningbacks[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] (Thomas and Brown), then allowing Kory Sheets to be our speedster RB. Defenses will fear the running game.
Have you watched any vids of Thomas running ? Powerful ? He runs upright between the tackles. I don't see much power running in the vids I see, what difference does it make how big he is ? He may turn out fine, I hope he does and running powerfully is something he is going to have to learn. Even Ireland twice said, he was a powerful runner with a caviot, "when he runs behind his pads". Except he mostly doesn't. I believe (doesn't make it a fact) that this was a Wildcat influenced pick. I don't see anything "great" about the pick. I don't see what you get from him, except wildcat experience, that you couldn't get not making the trade and picking up 2 RB's later instead of just that 1, except for the WC experience.

I dont think people should jump the gun. Just because a guy was good in college, doesnt mean he'll be good in the [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]NFL[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR].
I agree, I don't think anyone should "jump the gun" thinking the 1st 2 picks were great picks either, especially about Thomas.

If Henne doesnt pan out, and next year the Dolphins DONT trade away their draft for Andrew Luck...i will then call this regime a failure lol.
If Henne doesn't pan out, if they go that rout, I'm thinking this FO will not be here and rightly so. 4 drafts and this FO gives us Henne and White from the draft, unacceptable. Not even a shot at greatness.

Overall, we got the best OL
In your opinion ? Highly debatable IMO.
the most powerful runner
WHo doesn't run powerfully, at least not yet, but apparently he can throw out of the wildcat.
the fastest WR in the draft
Looks like a steal. A+

True true. But Daboll's offense is all based on mismatches. Spot the mismatch at the LOS and PSR and attack while Henning's was, just go through progressions no matter the mismatch. We will beat them up and down the field.

The picks we got were all mismatch mentality picks.
Who is going to do that "spotting" of the mismatches and get the ball there consistently ?

Either possibility is bad.

Either the Dolphins DID want him, they DO think he's a good quarterback, and they just tried to game the system a little bit and got caught with their pants down...or they're unsure of their own evaluation to the point where the simple fact that New England had him as their #1 QB in the Draft and ended up proving it by taking him in the high 3rd...scares them enough to start trying to cover their own @ss and say they also think highly of the guy but just "couldn't manage it".

Either possibility is bad.
Could not agree more.

I think there is going to be a large market for Mallett if he lasts 3 years in the Patriots system. They coach him up, someone else will trade for him and pay dearly. If he washes out there early for whatever reason, I'd take that to heart, too.

That's the reality and that's why I think you see a C.Y.A. statement coming out of the Dolphins.

I tell you what, among the 6 teams that took different QBs above Mallett, and the multiple teams that made the decision not to take one at all...they'd have much rather seen Oakland move up and take him than New England. I think suddenly everyone realizes all this guy has to do to raise his stock significantly is play well in the preseason, and keep his nose clean, and his mouth shut. That's it. He survives in New England for 2 or 3 years, he's being traded for a 1st or 2nd rounder.

That's the reality and that's why I think you see a C.Y.A. statement coming out of the Dolphins.

I tell you what, among the 6 teams that took different QBs above Mallett, and the multiple teams that made the decision not to take one at all...they'd have much rather seen Oakland move up and take him than New England. I think suddenly everyone realizes all this guy has to do to raise his stock significantly is play well in the preseason, and keep his nose clean, and his mouth shut. That's it. He survives in New England for 2 or 3 years, he's being traded for a 1st or 2nd rounder.
Be interesting to see who NE lets go of and what they get for him, when they are allowed.

Come on, Brady will be nowhere near done in three years.

I, in no way, meant to imply that he would be gone in three yrs. If i did, my bad...im talking about the sitting, watching, learning, competing. There is a very real possibiloty that in five years brady starts to regress. At that point, he wil have solid competition if they chose to develop and keep mallet, which would be very smart on their part.

It's not Thomas that's getting the D- grade; it's passing up Mallett that warrants such a grade. Thomas, even if he reaches his upside, will give us around 5 solid years. Mallett could be a franchise QB for the next 10-15 years. In short, not only does Mallett probably have a higher floor than Thomas, but he also has a much, much higher ceiling. This could very well end up defining Ireland's legacy.

so the mallett pick gets a A+ because he will be sitting on the bench for like......ever! while tom brady looks over at him and says, thats how its done Mr. Jones!

do we even have a big board in the war room... their is no way pouncey was our highest ranked player at 15 the way the draft panned out. I have been saying for awhile, that generally I like the picks we took, I just have no idea why we were taking players of that position where we did. A G/C at 15, than spend multiple picks trading up for the 3rd or 4th best running back, maybe worse... Than I think we traded up for gates as well...

we are coming out of this draft with basically 3 picks. I have no idea what clays role is going to be, and I don't suspect the last three picks will see the field much, if at all...

Trust me, it will be at LEAST a 1st and probably more!! And it won't be to Miami cuz New England isn't stupid enough to give this high caliber of a QB within the division.

I think this draft was a mesh of Brain Daboll's new offensive philosophy with our conservative regime. We were too scared to take a risk, and quite frankly Mallett isn't a big risk at the end of the 2nd... If we honestly were trying to trade up in the 3rd, then there is no reason we shouldn't have taken him with the 62nd pick.

Now on to the guys we did actually took: I think that the first four players will all contribute and probably do so early (says a lot about last year's offense, I know). Gates and Clay are two guys I don't think we would have taken in previous drafts. Mismatch guys that we (supposedly) need for Daboll's New Englandese offense. The problem I have with the first two picks is that both those positions can and quite often are fixed in the later rounds. That doesn't mean they aren't good players. It just really makes me question the value. We keep hearing that only two interior lineman have been taken in the past 15 years, and Mike Pouncey isn't THAT good. Not to mention, how much help does the offensive line guru Sparano need? I mean, we resigned Incongito and he should be moved to a more fit position... we are getting Garner back...Jerry will have another year under his belt and won't lose another 15 pounds during the season. That turns a pretty ****ty offensive line last year into at the very least a servicable one this year.

The thing that really bothers me is I think we have a really solid team besides the most important position. With the addition of these players, I'm looking at the team and not seeing all that many holes. Wideouts should be very good with addition of Gates. If the offensive line isn't good taking everything into account (see end of last paragraph), then this regime will never have a good offensive line. Running back has potential and not much more. And then we know the defense is very solid, and Mike Nolan will get those guys ready. I mean we have a lot of pieces but it very well will all go to waste without the most important one.

You can say a lot of things about this regime (most of them poor), but I do think they have done well in the draft. I could be wrong, but I think we have picked up something around 10 starters in the first 3 draft. That's tough to do even off a 1-15 team. And they have found some gems in the later rounds (Clemons, Bess, Jones). It's the other things that I believe they are poor at (ie game-day management, free agency).

do we even have a big board in the war room... their is no way pouncey was our highest ranked player at 15 the way the draft panned out. I have been saying for awhile, that generally I like the picks we took, I just have no idea why we were taking players of that position where we did. A G/C at 15, than spend multiple picks trading up for the 3rd or 4th best running back, maybe worse... Than I think we traded up for gates as well...

we are coming out of this draft with basically 3 picks. I have no idea what clays role is going to be, and I don't suspect the last three picks will see the field much, if at all...
so you're saying there is a chance?

but anyone who has greater expectations out of 5-7 round picks other than practice squad and special teams has way to high of expectations.

ck, how can you give the kendricks pick an A+ when he is facing charges that could have him in jail for the next 20 years if convicted?

so the mallett pick gets a A+ because he will be sitting on the bench for like......ever! while tom brady looks over at him and says, thats how its done Mr. Jones!

That 3rd round draft pick they spent on Mallett could easily become a 1st rounder in another year or two. So regardless of what Mallett does in a New England uniform, that was a great value pick. As for Mallett spending his entire career behind Brady, that's highly unlikely. As a 3rd round pick, Mallett will likely be signed for 3 years. After that, he can go wherever.

I thind Ireland did try to trade back into the 3rd round for Mallet. Ok everyone is blowing off Ireland statement that they tried to trade back up in the top of round 3 for Mallett that might be true but let me offer you a different view. They went in with a plan to solidify the offensive line and running back position early in this draft as in their opinion those were the bigger issues in this draft before QB. They wanted those issues settled before the QB. So logically when they felt comfortable that they provided the talent for a suceed then they were more open for Mallett. Just saying there was logic and a pattern to their draft. I am not defending it I just saying they did what they based on what they see as the larger problem and stayed with their draft pattern of the past. At this point I could second guess them and say hey trade back way back into the first pick up a 1st and 2nd or possibly more and grab what they have plus Mallet and a couple of early OL choices and gamble a bit more. I myself like trading back and the Pats do it best and everyone else is just not willing to take the bamble but of the rest other than the Pats we have done well under Ireland. Everyone is calling for his scalp but IMO after watching the jokers coming through here even from the Shula year Ireland has been one of the best. I liked JJ better because he traded back probably invented it before Bill B started using it and was very sucessful chooseing quanity over quality. Anyway Ireland is solid we may need a head coach and improve the QB no doubt but we are really close. IMO I keep saying the Jets say they do not have a QB issue and Henne played better than Sanchez so we can get by with Henne.

That 3rd round draft pick they spent on Mallett could easily become a 1st rounder in another year or two. So regardless of what Mallett does in a New England uniform, that was a great value pick. As for Mallett spending his entire career behind Brady, that's highly unlikely. As a 3rd round pick, Mallett will likely be signed for 3 years. After that, he can go wherever.

Nope, all New England has to do is slap the RFA tag on him, which I am positive they will do unless they trade him beforehand.

They are either gonna let Brady go at 37 to 38 years old (probably 38) or trade him for a very high pick.

I am not renewing my sunday ticket this year and if I lived in the Miami area, I sure as **** wouldn't buy any tickets for games. Mr Ross needs to be sent a message that his regime is being run by idiots who are only interested in saving their jobs. I firmly believe that drafting Mallett could have bought them at LEAST another year. Now almost all our position needs will be filled with the exception of the most important one, QB.

On the plus side, I have WAY more confidence in Bill Cowher's regime in being able to develop QB's than this current one, so maybe it was better we didn't take Mallett.

I am praying we somehow finish last in the league next year so we can get Luck. Unfortunately, I see this team going 6-10 or 5-11. If we are lucky, we'll have some minor injuries that let us finish in last place. I am OK with one year of complete suckage if it means we can have 15 years of dominance.

Back
Top Bottom