Fundamental running the ball ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fundamental running the ball ?

OmegaPhinsFan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I noticed w Ahmed they were running a few times to the outside. However, just like the other backs, seemed bottled up between the tackles. Can Miami get away with more designed runs outside/draws? They did run the ball effective enough, but can they put a game away with it late since their offense right now takes the ball out of the qb’s hand late? Also what about spacing or techniques?

I noticed w Ahmed they were running a few times to the outside. However, just like the other backs, seemed bottled up between the tackles. Can Miami get away with more designed runs outside/draws? They did run the ball effective enough, but can they put a game away with it late since their offense right now takes the ball out of the qb’s hand late? Also what about spacing or techniques?

Followup . . . wouldn't that make the RPO more effective?

This is just my opinion since I haven’t been able to check tape (have a 2 year old and a newborn) but it appears they are stacking defenders near the line in an attempt to confuse or block Tua’s vision.

This OL is good with combo blocks but still is working to find the most effective lineup.

The biggest reason they haven’t backed off stacking up is the RPO has yet to fully take off. You saw Tua hit a few last week and all of the sudden Ahmed bust out some 10-15 yard runs. That’s not coincidence, as that becomes more effective defenders will have tons of conflict and that indecisiveness will lead to more chuck plays in both the air and ground.

This is just my opinion since I haven’t been able to check tape (have a 2 year old and a newborn) but it appears they are stacking defenders near the line in an attempt to confuse or block Tua’s vision.

This OL is good with combo blocks but still is working to find the most effective lineup.

The biggest reason they haven’t backed off stacking up is the RPO has yet to fully take off. You saw Tua hit a few last week and all of the sudden Ahmed bust out some 10-15 yard runs. That’s not coincidence, as that becomes more effective defenders will have tons of conflict and that indecisiveness will lead to more chuck plays in both the air and ground.
They are stacking the line, you’re correct, and the fact that we have small RBs

In order to run wide consistently, our gaurds, and or center has to be able to pull, and be quick enough to lead the play.

Not saying they can't, but they haven't been very effective at it up to this point.

Another factor that could come into play is Tua's ability to run the ball. I think we've seen a pretty conservative offense early on with Tua, but one of his skill sets that hasn't been utilized much is his ability to make plays with his legs. I think a few designed runs a game for Tua could help this offense, especially in short-yardage situation where Miami has struggled.

I certainly don't want to see him challenging defenses and fighting for yards like Fitzpatrick. Be smart, get your yards and slide down.

The next time Tua gets hurt as a runner will be the first time. When allowed to be the aggressor and use his instincts as a runner, Tua has always finished runs. He's a lot tougher and more elusive when allowed to be the aggressor than people think. Faster than people think too.

Trying to extend plays behind the LOS while allowing others to be the aggressor (while already playing hurt) was always how he got injured. As long as he's able to choose to take direct hits on his pads and upper body he's fine. It's the awkward hits on his lower body by being in defenseless positions that he had to learn to avoid.

Kindley is the weak point for the line. He looks off balance on too many plays. One of the promising runs was stuffed because he fire out horribly off balance and the NT slams his forearm into his back. Kindley is swatted down to the ground and the linebacker runs right past him. That was a very embarrassing play. We might see Davis at guard next week.

Kindley has been slowed by a injured foot apparently. When was the last time a starter on the OL went out and we didn't insert a turnstile in his place? (previous years!) It sure is nice to have some quality depth there to draw upon for the OL.

Kindley is the weak point for the line. He looks off balance on too many plays. One of the promising runs was stuffed because he fire out horribly off balance and the NT slams his forearm into his back. Kindley is swatted down to the ground and the linebacker runs right past him. That was a very embarrassing play. We might see Davis at guard next week.

Not going to disagree, but pick the OLman you think is NFL best. Give me game tape and I can find 2-3 plays where he looks inept. No, I'm not saying Kindley is a top OLman, just that I'm uncomfortable with picking out a few plays to defend a position

Not going to disagree, but pick the OLman you think is NFL best. Give me game tape and I can find 2-3 plays where he looks inept. No, I'm not saying Kindley is a top OLman, just that I'm uncomfortable with picking out a few plays to defend a position

That is a fair take. I am pointing the play out because the floor is very low. The rep was more than inept. It was embarrassing.

Wow, are you watching the wrong player? Typo? You getting 66 and 68 mixed up? Kindly gives nothing up. Week is no part of king soloman! And every player has someone get on him at some point in a game. He is a rock, a bull. The weekest guy, if you can even call him that was 68. He constantly gets walked right back into the qb and doesnt seal the end well for rb's. Everyone thought when kindly went to the bench it was for bad play and haters and wanna be gurus started piling on. I reviewed every snap of him in that game leading up to him being pulled and saw absolutely NOTHING that showed he should have been benched.

I always watch games AFTER they are played. When i turned on the monday morning media stuff on boobtube, i saw kindley being interviewed and he was happy and excited and upbeat. Then, after an hour of fins media on the screwtoob, i went to finheaven and there i see a post about kindley being benched. And after a while i am thinking of kindleys interview and he didnt say a thing about it and wasnt asked about being taken out. Something wasnt adding up. Thats when i sat down to watch the game. The guy i noticed being pushed around was hunt. Run and pass game. Then, after watching the game i went back and watched everything kindley and benching just didnt seem remotely warranted. Then......, next game with diego i expected to see kindley out and and jesse davis in at rg. NOPE!! Kindley back at guard and HUNT out!! Right then it became obvious, that whole thing was flo seeing where to put the veteran davis who has been having a great season filling in for jackson.

Now, i have mentioned whats going to happen with davis after jackson returns several times over the past couple weeks. This was flo's tactful way of finding a spot for davis and it appears to me davis will most likely be taking hunts job and not kindley's, which i think was the plan the whole time. We shall see in denver if this is correct. One thing i noticed against diego was davis wasnt letting his guy walk him back within 3 inches of the qb on every other play. The outside was sealed much better and ahmed took advantage of that right away. Kindley is a rook and has more room to grow but that kid is stout and RARELY lets anyone get over on him. He was NOT benched for poor play whatsover. Coach didnt call him out in any form in interviews and kindley showed ZERO emotion or attitude if being "benched". Just the opposite actually.

Denver will tell us more.

I mean one of the things that was obvious was teams especially buf and ne were trapping us inside a 20 yard box. This was due to Fitzpatrick not being able to get the ball downfield enough to back them off.

As for right now, Tua isn't stretching the field due to his job requirements from the coaching staff. Teams are going to play him much more aggressive than Fitzpatrick. If he starts hitting reads and building on his play they will respect soon enough.

So the issue is not so much lack of talent but lack of space to work. It has worked out where both qbs, in different ways are limiting our space. I don't expect it to continue but we need to be more vertical going forward and it will do wonders for the running game

I mean one of the things that was obvious was teams especially buf and ne were trapping us inside a 20 yard box. This was due to Fitzpatrick not being able to get the ball downfield enough to back them off.

As for right now, Tua isn't stretching the field due to his job requirements from the coaching staff. Teams are going to play him much more aggressive than Fitzpatrick. If he starts hitting reads and building on his play they will respect soon enough.

So the issue is not so much lack of talent but lack of space to work. It has worked out where both qbs, in different ways are limiting our space. I don't expect it to continue but we need to be more vertical going forward and it will do wonders for the running game
Yes, i agree. However....., what Gaskin found out right away is running the ball in the nfl is faaaar different than college. In college there are a lot of big holes that open up but in the nfl, huge holes are a RARITY!! At most, you get a seem with some daylight poking through but that closes up quick. Most big plays in the nfl run game come from the CUTBACK, not huge holes that stay open for 18 minutes. Gaskin is awful at seeing cutbacks and needs sustained holes most of the time.

On the contrary, Ahmed makes things happen. He is more patient letting blocks set up and his decision making is fast and he is QUICK through his gap. He also sees the cutback and If davis stays on the rt gig? We will see more big plays on that right side.

Also, if this passing attack under Tua gets going? Watch out. When those run plays and play action start opening up and teams have to respect both qb and rb? Those 219 man fronts wont be a permanent fixture any longer. We will have a multi faceted offense and sky will be the limit for this team.

I for one am EXCITED!! A feeling i havnt had in over a decade. Trying to get used to it.

Oh this type of post..

Back
Top Bottom