Future games outside the U.S... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Future games outside the U.S...

alienalias

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Consider this thought... 16 games any given week. There HAS to be 16 international locations where games could be held outside the US in a single week... what if the NFL introduced an "international week" where EVERY team played a game outside the US, followed by a bye week for EVERY team? I mean, teams have complained in recent years about other teams bye week being better placed, or more advantageous. So, there are now no discrepancies or thoughts that another teams bye week was more advantageous. Odd years the AFC has the home games, and even years the NFC. What do y'all think? Any other idea's that are interesting?

Consider this thought... 16 games any given week. There HAS to be 16 international locations where games could be held outside the US in a single week... what if the NFL introduced an "international week" where EVERY team played a game outside the US, followed by a bye week for EVERY team? I mean, teams have complained in recent years about other teams bye week being better placed, or more advantageous. So, there are now no discrepancies or thoughts that another teams bye week was more advantageous. Odd years the AFC has the home games, and even years the NFC. What do y'all think? Any other idea's that are interesting?
so rather then piss off 1 teams season ticket holders, you'd rather piss off 16 teams. Impressive thought.

Not to mention the players league would have a problem with all that traveling and coaching in short weeks. Plus, the only bright side to the dolphins maybe playing overseas would be that it'd be on national tv, so we could get to see it. But if the entire leagues playing overseas then we probably wouldn't get to see the dolphins play.

so rather then piss off 1 teams season ticket holders, you'd rather piss off 16 teams. Impressive thought.

Not to mention the players league would have a problem with all that traveling and coaching in short weeks. Plus, the only bright side to the dolphins maybe playing overseas would be that it'd be on national tv, so we could get to see it. But if the entire leagues playing overseas then we probably wouldn't get to see the dolphins play.
Dude, it's about bettering and expanding the league, it's fan base, and world-wide popularity. If you do it this way, then at least it's equally advantageous or terrible for every team in the league. It would be an annual event, that rivals the World Cup and bring millions of dollars from foreign countries into the US... not to mention give a temporary shot in the arm of the economies where the games are held. It benefits everyone involved, except for people who focus on their selfish mentality that they'll miss a game.

Dude, it's about bettering and expanding the league, it's fan base, and world-wide popularity. If you do it this way, then at least it's equally advantageous or terrible for every team in the league. It would be an annual event, that rivals the World Cup and bring millions of dollars from foreign countries into the US... not to mention give a temporary shot in the arm of the economies where the games are held. It benefits everyone involved, except for people who focus on their selfish mentality that they'll miss a game.

are you kidding me? rival the WORLD CUP? dude, Football will never be as big in the other countries, just like Soccer will never be big here. The game in Mexico between the niners and the cardinals was a joke. This game their gonna hold in london or whatever is gonna be a joke too. Football is americas game, it will never be anywhere near as popular as soccer anywhere else in the world.

guys i love the sport and trust me the games popularity is increasing down here. More and more people are joining clubs and teams around my area(yes we do play in AUS but the quality is not that good). lyk last year we only had a 15 man squad(we play teams of 9 in juniors) and now this year there was over 20. Gridiron is getting more awareness now in the younger generations and is definately not slowing down.

oh yea play some nfl games down under toooo:)

guys i love the sport and trust me the games popularity is increasing down here. More and more people are joining clubs and teams around my area(yes we do play in AUS but the quality is not that good). lyk last year we only had a 15 man squad(we play teams of 9 in juniors) and now this year there was over 20. Gridiron is getting more awareness now in the younger generations and is definately not slowing down.

oh yea play some nfl games down under toooo:)

Absolutely, mate! If we played 16 games abroad every year, the NFL would make sure that 1 game was in Aussie land. If there wasn't 16 games, you might not be considered for years and years for an NFL game. But under the scenario I mentioned, how pumped and stoked would you be for 1 game a year in different location in Australia? Even if it wasn't the 'Fins every year?
Thanks for your post. That's the exact type of thing I was looking for... you 'da man!!!!!:D:dolphins::D:dolphins:

Australias a completely different situation. In Australia (At least i believe this is true) Rugby is huge. Rugby is the cousin to football. It's like if Football and Hockey had a kid. Not to mention, the NFL actually scouts Australian Rugby players to become punters in the NFL now. So its no surprise the nfl is gaining interest there.

However, London, China, Japan, Russia, Argentina, Mexico, Ireland, WHERE EVER, it'll never catch on.

are you kidding me? rival the WORLD CUP? dude, Football will never be as big in the other countries, just like Soccer will never be big here. The game in Mexico between the niners and the cardinals was a joke. This game their gonna hold in london or whatever is gonna be a joke too. Football is americas game, it will never be anywhere near as popular as soccer anywhere else in the world.
Ok, my young, negative friend. Read the words from a man who lives outside the US. Why was the soldout game in Mexico a joke, out of curiosity? Yeah, big mistake. You can realize it or not, the NFL and professional football is going international. If it wasn't, NFL Europe wouldn't exist. Obviously, you don't quite "get it", do you? The NFL's goal is to expand internationally and worldwide. If you don't realize that, you don't have a clue in the 1st place...

Ok, my young, negative friend. Read the words from a man who lives outside the US. Why was the soldout game in Mexico a joke, out of curiosity? Yeah, big mistake. You can realize it or not, the NFL and professional football is going international. If it wasn't, NFL Europe wouldn't exist. Obviously, you don't quite "get it", do you? The NFL's goal is to expand internationally and worldwide. If you don't realize that, you don't have a clue in the 1st place...
I watched the game, i saw the stands, they were not filled. I know that the NFL is trying to go international. I also know its not going very well.

I watched the game, i saw the stands, they were not filled. I know that the NFL is trying to go international. I also know its not going very well.
Apparently you know NOTHING. That game set an NFL record for attendance.
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/miami/22692.html
As you'll read, over 103,000 fans attended the game. Hmmmmm, what's the Fins, Cowboys, 49ers, or any other teams home attendance?

Apparently you know NOTHING. That game set an NFL record for attendance.
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/miami/22692.html
As you'll read, over 103,000 fans attended the game. Hmmmmm, what's the Fins, Cowboys, 49ers, or any other teams home attendance?
Well then the fans certainly left early. Im not making it up, the stands looked pretty empty by the 4th qtr.

Your also not making much of a case regaurding what the players and coaches would do in such a situation. An overseas flight there and back basically takes away an entire day of practice,healing, or other preparetion for the next weeks game. The only sensible thing about having one game would mean you can play both teams to play before their bye weeks. If the nfl were to try to and do what your saying, it would have to be during a preseason week. It couldn;t happen during a regular season week, because if it did, the players association wouldn't like it, the coaches wouldn't like, and the OWNERS would absolutly HATE it.

Well then the fans certainly left early. Im not making it up, the stands looked pretty empty by the 4th qtr.

Your also not making much of a case regaurding what the players and coaches would do in such a situation. An overseas flight there and back basically takes away an entire day of practice,healing, or other preparetion for the next weeks game. The only sensible thing about having one game would mean you can play both teams to play before their bye weeks. If the nfl were to try to and do what your saying, it would have to be during a preseason week. It couldn;t happen during a regular season week, because if it did, the players association wouldn't like it, the coaches wouldn't like, and the OWNERS would absolutly HATE it.

Taking away things wouldnt be a downside if it happened to both teams. You would still play on normal days, so injurys wouldnt be a big issue. Heck, you could even move all the intl games to a monday or tuesday to allow some extra prep. I really dont see it as that big an issue.
The biggest issue could be logistics for the smaller teams. Who is paying for the Bills to go to Japan, or the Packers to China or the Jags to Cairo? These teams may not be able to afford this kind of thing for too long.

All in all, its an interesting concept, and one I wouldnt be opposed to as long as it was done equally so no teams benefit undully from it. The NFL is trying to expand overseas, and I dont see why it cant? Look at baseball, its massively popular in the Latin Americas and in Japan/Korea, and basketball is big in Europe, why cant the NFL get a toehold and start working in. The comparison to Soccer was a bit off, nothing will replace that for the forseable future, but there really isnt anything wrong with bringing some good old football to other areas of the world.

Taking away things wouldnt be a downside if it happened to both teams. You would still play on normal days, so injurys wouldnt be a big issue. Heck, you could even move all the intl games to a monday or tuesday to allow some extra prep. I really dont see it as that big an issue.
The biggest issue could be logistics for the smaller teams. Who is paying for the Bills to go to Japan, or the Packers to China or the Jags to Cairo? These teams may not be able to afford this kind of thing for too long.

All in all, its an interesting concept, and one I wouldnt be opposed to as long as it was done equally so no teams benefit undully from it. The NFL is trying to expand overseas, and I dont see why it cant? Look at baseball, its massively popular in the Latin Americas and in Japan/Korea, and basketball is big in Europe, why cant the NFL get a toehold and start working in. The comparison to Soccer was a bit off, nothing will replace that for the forseable future, but there really isnt anything wrong with bringing some good old football to other areas of the world.
TexanFin: We've been butting heads this last week. But man, I must give you some real credit for the thoughts put into this post. Nice work, and good thinking.

Then why doesn't Wayne hate it? It wouldn't have to be a preseason week as you say, b/c the NFL represents the league, it's growth, it's prominence, and it's financial bottom line. The players association wouldn't and couldn't have a prob b/c it is equal upon ALL players.

I was there, the stadium was at his full capacity, the fans didn't leave after the Anquan Boldin TD and when the game was decided.

Back
Top Bottom