Future QB HOF | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Future QB HOF

Metal Panda said:
Drew Bledsoe doesn't have a snowballs chance in Hell.

Longevity doesn't trump actual performance.

Actually, aside from Favre, Manning, and Brady, Bledsoe is the only currently active QB with a realistic chance at the HOF right now. His career stats are very good, he's a mutliple Pro Bowler on two different teams, and yes, longevity does count since he's been a starter for a lot of years (1994-2005, I think). He won't be a first ballot pick, but I think he gets in eventually.

I think that Donovan McNabb needs to do more for a couple of years more at least to be considered. It would vastly help if he could get Philly to the SB and win it.

I don't see anybody else until the younger generation QBs -- starting with Brees and Palmer -- prove themselves as more than flash-in-the-pans. HOF is for career achievement.

BTW, I don't believe that the CFL and/or the Arena Football League count in Hall of Fame balloting. The HOF only considers "major league" performance, meaning the NFL as well as other leagues that have been absorbed into the NFL which would be the All American Football Conference (the league back in the 1940s from which the Browns came) and the American Football League (the league back in the 1960s that contained the teams that became the original AFC teams: Boston (now NE), Buffalo, Cincinatti, Denver, Houston (now Tennessee), Kansas City, Miami, New York Jets, Oakland, San Diego).

edit: the USFL folded and its players were dispersed among NFL teams and I don't think it counts for HOF achievement!

Actually, aside from Favre, Manning, and Brady, Bledsoe is the only currently active QB with a realistic chance at the HOF right now. His career stats are very good, he's a mutliple Pro Bowler on two different teams, and yes, longevity does count since he's been a starter for a lot of years (1994-2005, I think). He won't be a first ballot pick, but I think he gets in eventually.

Actually, a large portion of Bledsoe's career statistics (not that that's all I base assessment on) are pretty pedestrian. If I take Hall of Fame to mean "best of the best"...that's not what Bledsoe has given.

His career passer rating is 77.1, and he's only eclipsed 80 in 5 of his 13 seasons. In 7 seasons (including injury/Brady shortened 01), he threw either the same or a larger amount of interceptions than he did touchdowns.

Have players with marginal passer ratings or statistics like that gotten in before? Sure, Terry Bradshaw for one...but he played in a different era that didn't have the rules that benefitted the receiver/quarterback that Bledsoe did. Not only that, Terry Bradshaw won championships. Multiple rings. Drew has one ring, but he played in only two and a half games on the year, and other than his AFC Championship play, had little to do with it. He did lead his Patriot team to another Super Bowl, but lost it.

Elway's passer rating was about 79, but he won two titles, and was one of the best 4th quarter comeback QBs in history. He also played in five Super Bowls overall and he showed the team success it hadn't known before.

The New England Patriots went 64-64 in Bledsoe's 8 years as a starter (not including injury/Brady 2001). The Bills and Cowboys struggled under Bledsoe, largely due to him. The Broncos were 161-95 in the 16 years Elway started, including 5 SB appearances. Even his final season was a great year for him.

I'm never a proponent of going strictly by Rings, SB appearances, W-L record for a QB, because I feel that's not a fair measure. But we know that's what the Hall voters like. If your numbers are stunning/phenomenal, you can still get in without them (like Marino), but when you're Bledsoe, you need that extra resume padding, since your numbers are average.

Not to mention that the voters aren't going to be very forgiving of mediocre numbers given all of the rule changes to emphasize offense in the last decade or so, which many of the HOF quarterbacks did not benefit from. 77.1 passer rating in 1983 would draw a lot less scrutiny than now. Yes, it's not atypical for the type of thrower Bledsoe is, but....

Even observationally...the dude is not a legendary quarterback. He was a slightly above average downfield thrower, but not an HOF quarterback. He made a lot of stupid throws, wasn't a great leader, and really took a downward slide towards the end of his career. If he gets in, it's strictly due to having nobody else to choose from. He'll get nominated,

BTW, I don't believe that the CFL and/or the Arena Football League count in Hall of Fame balloting. The HOF only considers "major league" performance, meaning the NFL as well as other leagues that have been absorbed into the NFL which would be the All American Football Conference (the league back in the 1940s from which the Browns came) and the American Football League (the league back in the 1960s that contained the teams that became the original AFC teams: Boston (now NE), Buffalo, Cincinatti, Denver, Houston (now Tennessee), Kansas City, Miami, New York Jets, Oakland, San Diego).

edit: the USFL folded and its players were dispersed among NFL teams and I don't think it counts for HOF achievement!

I think it's pointless to argue this, because even if Hall of Fame executives urged voters not to vote based on CFL achievements, nobody can truly verify whether a voter considered that or not when they cast their vote. That decision, like it or not, is truly up to the voter. And I fail to believe such merits have never been considered.

also, Dave Krieg was a three time Pro Bowler and 11th in all time passing yardage. He isn't in the HOF.

Boomer Esiason, who was in a stones throw of winning TWO Super bowls (losing both), and made four pro bowls, isn't in yet.

Bledsoe's 7th in history in passing yardage, but all of the 70s QBs never had a chance with 14 game seasons and run based offense. It makes sense that post 80s QBs are all the QBs topping that list.

I'm not talking about guys who would go in now. Although there are only 23 in there currently, the Hall is letting in anyone and everyone nowadays. I guess maybe 13 is a little high though.

Brady, Favre, Manning. Then you have guys like Palmer, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Leinart, Eli, Cutler, Young, McNabb, Culpepper, Alex Smith, Aaron Rogers...all of these guys, who knows? Maybe one day....they have the potential...then you have guys we've hardly ever heard of like Cleo Lemon and Cody Pickett who could come out of the woodwork and be the next Tom Brady, so it's hard to say sometimes.
leinart, aaron rodgers, alex smith, are u on crack

leinart, aaron rodgers, alex smith, are u on crack

No, you just can't read.

Hysterikill said "the potential"...meaning either they've shown in their brief experience that they might evolve into something in the future, or he's just guessing that based on the situation they're in, they may develop into star quarterbacks.

So if anybody was on crack...I think we know who it was.

His compling stats are "good" such as his yardage #s b/c he has thrown the ball more than just about anyone in NFL history. Drew has never been a great QB and his PB appearances were a joke as the PB usually is. he made it in 1994 throwing 25 TDs and 27 INTs and in 2002 he should not have made it. he was great the 1st half of the year but atrocious the 2nd half, he has 2 legit PB appearances and he has been a bad QB since about 1998 or '99 and let's not forget NE was a 5-11 team in 200 w/ Drew and started 0-2 w/ Drew in 2001 before Brady stepped in and changed that franchise.

Boomer Esiason, who was in a stones throw of winning TWO Super bowls (losing both), and made four pro bowls, isn't in yet.

One not 2, he wasn't on the '81 Bengal team. He also won an MVP award.

Does the Pro Football Hall of Fame view playing time in the CFL/Arena Leagues as the same as careers in the NFL? If so, then thats the only way I see Warner or Flutie getting selected.

From what i understand, Canton does recognize the AFL, they're actually building a separate wing in the HOF just for the Arena Football League. I'm not sure about the CFL though.

I was thinking, besides the following 3 QBs, is there going to be a 'gap' in the HOF for QBs? I can only come up with 3 for sure:

1. Brett Favre
2. Tom Brady
3. Peyton Manning

If these 3 never played another snap, they would still get in.

Who else is there though?

McNair, Brunell, Warner? I doubt any of those would get in...

Those three are in for sure. Of the QB's that are close to retiring, i could see Drew Bledsoe getting the nod to join the HOF. Younger guys that could have the chance one day depending on how their careers go: Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart.

Back
Top Bottom