Gadsden | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gadsden

NYRicky34

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I honestly believe that Orande will come to his senses and agree to a minimum contract to return to the Dolphins next season. He obviously needs us more than we need him; which seems to be a common theme this year (Seau, Buckley etc). However, I think the front office realizes that it would be a very good move to re-up Orande and keep him in a fins uniform for atleast another season.

The first part of my reasoning is that the guy is still a solid #2 wide receiver. He has great size, great hands, and is a nice threat in the red zone. He moves the chains, and is a reliable option for Fiedler. If healthy, he is still good for 50 catches, 700 yards and 5 touchdowns as a starter. The bad news is, he probably won't stay healthy as a 16 game starter. The good news is, we don't need him to be a starter in this offense anymore. With the addition of Derrius Thompson who is a younger, faster, healthier version of Gadsden (with so much more upside) we have the number two receiver we need. The staff is also very high on J.R Tolver, a similar player because of his size, hands, and polish. The wildcard is James McKnight, who I simply do not trust. He has great speed and makes plays; no question about that. Bud I'd rather have one speed, go-to wide reciever (Chambers) and a few solid possession guys, than have to worry about McKnight's occasion big drop or fumble. He did improve in that department last season, and who knows, he could become Mr. Reliable this year to go along with his playmaking skills. But it would be great to see him and Gadsden fighting it out for one spot on the roster. If McKnight proves his worth, keep him. If not, go with the guy who you know what you are getting with.

I can't see the Phins going thru this whole off season with this Gadsden issue, re-signing him, letting him compete, then cutting him if McKnight plays better. If Oronde's re-signed, unless he gets injured, I think he gets a roster spot. It just wouldn't look right and Oronde's too popular with his teammates, it would look like a total screw job.

I for one, like Gadsden's tenacity and his aggresiveness in going after the ball, but this Mike Dodd (or Todd) episode has put a sour taste on the whole issue w/me. We have been hearing a lot of good news about Thompson, Tolver and Fryzel at our mini camps, and we have been getting good results from developing WR/KR/PR in Newson and Baker. If we bring Gadsden back (which I'm not against), then we risk the chance of slowing up the development of one of our young WR's, or even worse; losing one to another team after we try to hide them on the practice squad. Bringing Gadsden back for the vet minimum would be an excellent move, but this is the risk we would be facing if we do.

I know Thompson and Tolver will make the roster, but I'm intrigued w/Newson and Fryzel. I've seen Newson play in three NFLE games, and the kid has skills. I would definitely hold on to him and watch him develop. I'm not too sure on Fryzel yet because I haven't seen him play, I've just been hearing good things about him, but he's young and he's got Wanny's attention speaks enough for him to stick around for the preseason to see what he can do. I'm sentimental towards Baker because he's a guy who is keeping his dream alive in hopes of cracking a NFL roster (I can relate to that), and the story about him taking care of his little brother kinda makes you cheer for him (like Rudy). On the other hand, he's been trying to crack our roster for how long now? 3 - 4 years now. I just don't think he's going to get any better than we've already seen. Just my opinion. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Originally posted by NYRicky34
The first part of my reasoning is that the guy is still a solid #2 wide receiver.

How do you figure since the last 2 years he hasn't lived up to a #2 billing and that is why NO ONE is giving him any play in the market.

He had 674 yards and 3 TD's 2 years ago for an avg of 48 yards a game and completely bombed out last year for 228 yards for 38 yards a game. 4 of those games he had less then 27 yards receiving. 7 of his 14 games the year before he had less then 30 yards receiving.

On top of that he was dropping balls early in the season before he even went down.

Well guys if Gadsden is as greedy as he seems to be(well through the media coverage and all, never know whats really true) then if we can sign him to a 1year deal at the league minimum he should perform like a probowler for his contract the following season right???

Back
Top Bottom