Gailey’s QB pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gailey’s QB pick

While I'm developing a less emotional response to the Gailey hire, I'm taking a wait and see approach to his future beyond this year. This feels like a Fitzpatrick in 2020 reinforcement hire with benefits of added emphasis on run game and streamlined learning. Ultimately Tua if drafted he most likely will be clipboard/sideline for the duration of next season. While his development matters under Gailey, I'm not convinced he's going to be the guy calling plays when Tua hits the field in 2021. So I'm not sure how much weight Gaileys preference holds picking a Franchise QB. But who knows? I sure dont.
I am not crazy about the Gailey hire but I don’t see any advantage to having 3 different offensive coordinators in the first three years under Flores, which is what would happen under your scenario. The Patriots have had success on offense over the years by sticking with one OC for the majority of those years. Having to learn a different offense under a new coordinator constantly is not the way to develop consistency on offense, IMO.

does anyone know what kind of QB's Gailey usually goes for, or likes? Does he have a history

Usually, he likes guys with two legs.....from his history anyway.

does anyone know what kind of QB's Gailey usually goes for, or likes? Does he have a history

QBs Gailey named starter during his years as HC:

1998 DAL - Troy Aikman

1998 DAL - Troy Aikman

2010 BUF - named Trent Edwards starter but benched him for Ryan Fitzpatrick during the season

2011 BUF - Ryan Fitzpatrick

2012 BUF - Ryan Fitzpatrick

QBs who started while Gailey was OC, although impossible to know how much input he had in them being named starters:

1996 PIT – Mike Tomczak

1997 PIT – Kordell Stewart

2000 MIA – Jay Fieldler

2001 MIA – Jay Fieldler

2008 KC – A rotation of Brodie Croyle, Damon Huard and Tyler Thigpen due to a variety of injuries.

2015 NYJ – Ryan Fitzpatrick

2016 NYJ – Ryan Fitzpatrick, benched for Bryce Petty with four games left

QBs Gailey named starter during his years as HC at Georgia Tech:

2002 - AJ Suggs

2003 - Reggie Ball

2004 - Reggie Ball

2005 - Reggie Ball

2006 - Reggie Ball

2007 - Taylor Bennett

Last edited:
So... what you are saying is that he's accomplished quite a bit with very little talent.

I can sure be proven wrong, but I am not at all sure we are best served by Tua at 5.
If we do not go that route, I wonder if Gailey has a preference?
Herbert, Love, Fromm, Hurts, Easen, other?

I don't think Gailey will be here long enough to really have any influence over who the Dolphins select at QB. I can't see him being here more than two years at the most.

I have sources that told me Gailey loves Tua. Even more than our FH Cult loves Tua. Crazy, I know...

But in all seriousness from what I've seen by 3YPC Tua is a fit for Gailey...that said I agree with others in that I don't think we're going to let Gailey make any hard decisions on drafting a QB.

YPC did a full Twitter thread highlighting Gailey's offensive history and which QBs would fit..Herbert was one of them I believe as was Tua....I don't think any of the top prospects should have an issue running a spread offense.

I am not crazy about the Gailey hire but I don’t see any advantage to having 3 different offensive coordinators in the first three years under Flores, which is what would happen under your scenario. The Patriots have had success on offense over the years by sticking with one OC for the majority of those years. Having to learn a different offense under a new coordinator constantly is not the way to develop consistency on offense, IMO.

I'm of the mindset that Flores has a vision of what he wants the Miami Dolphins Offense to look like. He's gonna keep churning that butter until finds what he is looking for. If Chan doesn't hypothetically work out is Flores gonna keep Gailey on staff for continuity on offense? Hells nah. He's gonna fire his ass and bring someone on staff to bring his vision of our offense to life. Three coordinators in three years sounds worse than it hypothetically could be......

Gailey loves the spread. Lots of three and four wideouts. That should make things a little easier for any quarterback coming in. Plus, I think whoever it is will sit behind Fitzpatrick for most of 2020, if not all.

It waste of time trying guess what Gailey,flores or Grier will or will not do.. it unknown in January...I give yall credit.

Back
Top Bottom