Game planning for Regular Season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Game planning for Regular Season

snake eyes

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So I hear all about how the Jets are Keeping their Vaunted Tony Sparano Wildcat under raps until the season starts. That story makes me throw up a little in my mouth. However there may be some truth to that I dont know. I love football but I dont spend too much time thinking about the x's and os. I just like watching fools get knocked the F!@# out! So some of you more sophisticated dolfans might have better insight on this. How much do you think Philbin has held back as far as what our offense will really be running. I know it wont really matter especially if nobody can catch the damn ball but I will let you men educate me in this spot.

I'm hopeful that we've held back a lot, but the truth is we've been pretty vocal about the fact that the offense is basically Texas A&M's with some Green Bay tweaks. I'd like to think that's some kind of brilliant misdirection but it's not. Sure, we haven't shown a lot of our specific plays, but someone can watch film of A&M and get a pretty good idea of what we might do and what Sherman and Tannehill look like in tandem.

Philbin's philosophy, quoted in one of papers/blogs recently, is that talent wins football games, not coaching or clever scheming. His idea is that everyone is smart, scheming, etc. So he's not a guy that will go out of his way to be secret like Sparano. Is he a smart coach? I think so. But he's also one who believes his players win the games, not his super nifty schemes or strategies.

I think it's the same here every year and while I'm not on other teams' message boards, I believe it's there if the team is underperforming in the pre-season. The fans always hope that the coaches saved the real stuff for the regular season but I don't believe in this anymore. While you do not show everything you have in the pre-season, there isn't a magic trick that coaches pull out once the real games begin.

The Jets can keep their stinking Tony S.
The Jets can keep their stinking Tebow
The Jets can keep their stinking Widcat

My only regret is that I cant say The Jets can keep their stinking Ireland....

Back
Top Bottom