Game Time Power Rankings Offseason edition | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Game Time Power Rankings Offseason edition

z0eboy

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Dolphins offensive scheme - If you break it down Coach Philbin wants to open up the 23rd ranked passing offense in 2011 while stressing balance running the football. I expect this scheme to suit Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas abilities allowing more match up concerns. The spread offense will utilize 3-5 receiver sets opening up running lanes if our offensive line is molded to handle man blocking schemes. The Dolphins must find a franchise QB either in free agency or through the draft, I perfer free agency due to limited options in the draft. If this void is filled say with a Matt Flynn, Jason Campbell or my worst fear Peyton Manning; expect the dolphins to seek more offensive weapons at WR and TE. Bringing in someone to go opposite Brandon Marshall will be critical, the development of our WR corp has been crippled by poor offensive philosophy. The offensive line has question marks at RG and RT, we can either develop current players to step up into starting roles like John Jerry, Lydon Murtha or resign Vernon Carey. I believe the new coaching staff will focus on fundamentals and implementing a man blocking scheme which requires toughness and each lineman taking care of their assignment.

Key developmental players to watch for - RB Daniel Thomas, WR Clyde Gates and OG/OT John Jerry

Offensive system - Power running game which complement's a dynamic spread offense.

Dolphins defensive scheme - If you break it down Coach Coyle will be tinkering with his new 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense. Packages will be installed based on gameplan, team match up and available personel. The defensive line rotation has to be the strenght in order for our back 7 (LB's and DB's) to be successful. Free agents like Paul Soliai and Kendall Langford will determine who we pursue during free agency or in the draft. To be effective early on the defense must be on the same page due to the system variation's, a veteran presense on defense will be key to having early success. Karlos Dansby should fit in nicely at MLB leaving an awkward position battle at OLB between Kevin Burnett, Koa Misi and free agent/draft pick. The base defense will probably be a 4-3 utilizing a 3-4 for pressure and coverage package's. The defensive backfield needs upgrading at FS and development at the CB position will be crucial, young talent like Sean Smith, Reshad Jones, Tyrone Culver and Jimmy Wilson will need to show they belong on a unit that was abused last season. Position battles between our returning players on defense will either expose the trust this staff has on their current players, I expect free agency to shed some light on what style of defense we will have in 2012.

Key developmental players to watch for - DE Phillip Merling, OLB Koa Misi and CB Sean Smith

Defensive system - 4-3/3-4 hybrid aggressive blitzing front 7 with athletic secondary.

Miami Dolphins overall assesment - Just getting started, the coaching staff is being put together and intime we will see what moves are made in free agency and in the draft. I will continue throughout the season to bring Gametime power rankings with more in depth analysis of the coaches, players and game plans used in every game including preseason! (PLEASE PROVIDE ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS FOR DEBATE AND FOLLOW UP REVIEW AFTER OFFSEASON)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anytime a guy butchers a name while doing a team evaluation he loses credibility. First thing you research....is the name of the guy you're researching...it's Daniel! Come on man.

Easy bud....I explained myself. But not being shortsighted and actually giving it a good read through it's a good write up. Arrow's definitely pointing up and I like the move to a 4-3. Apologies to the OP.

I know its still early, to my knowledge free agency doesnt start until next month but I'm really excited about this season. I used to do these same write ups for the washington redskins message boards, my track record is pretty good if you guys want to read my stuff from the past. I posted gametime power ranking threads on extremeskins.com and bgobession.com but was banned for "controversial" posting... if you able to look me up "z0eboy" there are alot more gametime power ranking threads that add to my credibility and track record with these analysis.

P.S. I no longer affiliate myself as a part time redskins fan, I'm completely on board with this new dolphins regime!
:420:

Bush will be the most important piece to our O along side the QB. he will line up in the backfield, and probably split out wide a fair amount of times. i expect him to be our offensive MVP and in the "probowl" when the season comesto an end.

Bush will be the most important piece to our O along side the QB. he will line up in the backfield, and probably split out wide a fair amount of times. i expect him to be our offensive MVP and in the "probowl" when the season comesto an end.
That prediction is not bad at all, I definately see this new spread offense benefiting Reggie Bush's ability to be dynamic in open space. It will allow him to be more of a pass catcher which we all know he's better than some WR's on our team... which is kinda disturbing.

I really hope to see the Dolphins use more screen passes and expose other team's LB's who are assigned to Bush when he goes out in a pass route. No more of that 2 WR set and Bush getting spyed by the Slot CB, with more WR's out in formation that will force team's to assign LB's on Bush.

for the first time in some time I can't wait for next season

Ozzy rules!!

I can't wait for the offseason to be over... Once we get into the preseason we can expand more of the new dolphins coaching scheme and look at position battles.

For once I predict the coaching staff to fill our roster with players that can contribute consistantly, not just have a bunch of guys that hustle but come up short.

QB position battle will be interesting no doubt - Matt Moore, Chad Henne, Jason Campbell, Peyton Manning or Matt Flynn??? What other free agent QB's are there, Drew Brees?

RB position battle is pretty much intact - Reggie Bush, Daniel Thomas, Steve Slaton or Richard Meldin??? Should we bring back Larry Johnson?

WR position battle - outside of Marshall all we have are slot receivers, this position worries me the most because we are now a spread offense. Without the right personel we cant spread a defense out in order to be effective. Draft Justin Blackmon/Top tier WR, bring in free agents like Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, Pierre Garcon or Desean Jackson?

TE position battle - will be scary if we don't get someone to complement Anthony Fasano, would we rebuild that position with younger talent or does the QB situation effect his performance more than we think?

OL position battle - will be more about fixing the right side of the offensive line at RG and RT. I noticed people mentioning Ben Grubbs as a free agent but in my opinion John Jerry or Vernon Carey show promise at either position.

DL position battle - will be more about depth and adding a polished DE to go opposite Cameron Wake in the 4-3 base formation. Will Kendall Langford be resigned and moved to DT? Jared Odrick and Phillip Merling could also play either DE/DT but can they provided consistant pass rush going up against the less athletic opposing teams RT at DE?

LB position battle - seems ok with Karlos Dansby at MLB and Kevin Burnett filling the void at Weakside OLB but how will they transition with the base 4-3 defense? The Strongside OLB needs to be able to handle penetration in run support, I don't see anybody who can handle that responsiblity on this current roster.

DB position battle - needs the most upgrades on defense, Yeremiah Bell at SS will be a natural fit and leader on defense we desperately need. Will this coaching staff revisit Chris Clemons at FS, Reshad Jones didn't impress me and seemed out of place most of last year. The CB position outside of Vontae Davis, Sean Smith and Will Allen needs depth and more coaching up. Does Sean Smith fit better as a nickle back? Can Will Allen hold up another year? Do we bring in a free agent or draft another prospect? How about Jimmy Wilson development in the new defensive system, will he take steps back in the learning process?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody can reply yanno... seems like this message board is another TMZ, full of gossip and no substance.

Back
Top Bottom