Gardener moving on | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gardener moving on

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
Upon the signing of Larry Chester, the Dolphins are going to move DG to defensive end according to Bates. Daryl is unopposed to the move but would prefer to stay inside because he is famaliar with almost all the opposing players.
They said he played DE extensively in '96, I don't remember him playing there at all. Was he any good? Did he play in any regular season games there? How fast is he?
What do you guys think?Gardener planning a move
He's moving here too

I don't like it, but what the hell do I know, I am not the coaches.

It would be easier on his back for sure...but is DG quick enough to play end?

Originally posted by dolfan87
It would be easier on his back for sure...but is DG quick enough to play end?
I doubt it, possibly on 1st down, but how much pass rush would you expect from the big guy. I guess have JT, TimBo, Chester (see pix ;) ) and DG would help the run D m/b the thought.

I agree...

...we suck'd on run D last season. This might give it a fighting chance.

Might it also be that Rick and Wanny are posturing to make their position to get DG renegotiated stronger? Coming back from injury, he must be suspect and restructuring to an incentive based contract will be important cap-wise - cuts the risk of another high cost unproductive season.

If he wont re-negotiate, maybe he'll be cut. $5 mill is a lot of cap space...

I like it......... as an experiment anyways! Who knows, maybe the big fella is more nimble than we know. That sounds like a monster of a defenseive line(DG,TimBo,Chester,JT)! Even if hes(DG) not as quick and shifty as a JT, that damn tightend on his side is for damn sure not going to hold him back, can you say bull-rush! A 300 pounder on one end, two 300+ pounders in the middle, and a playmaker on the other end makes for a ' where ya think you're running' type of Zach Thomas! Not to mention the gameplan altering effect. If they cant run, and fall behind, that only means more INT's for that #1 ranked passing defense! Sounds good anyways!!

I forget the details, but we really cannot cut DG because of the gauranteed portion of his contract. If we cut him, we would have eat that all right away.

39, I think I remember seeing an article about that as well.

Originally posted by dolphan39
I forget the details, but we really cannot cut DG because of the gauranteed portion of his contract. If we cut him, we would have eat that all right away.

:eek: I can't even recall back in 1996 how well Daryl did playing Defensive End, or how much he weighed his rookie season of 1996.:confused:

Re: 39, I think I remember seeing an article about that as well.

Originally posted by aqua&orange54
:eek: I can't even recall back in 1996 how well Daryl did playing Defensive End, or how much he weighed his rookie season of 1996.:confused:
I never remember him playing end for the Fins. I also always remember him in the 310+ range until last year :confused: :confused:

I don't ever remember.............

Originally posted by dolphan39
I never remember him playing end for the Fins. I also always remember him in the 310+ range until last year :confused: :confused:

him weighing under 300 lbs., that's for sure!:eek:

Ok, but did Mixon really supply any pass rush on end? I think what they are trying here is that no RB will be able to cut to left DE or they will be flattened by Gardener. On obvious passing downs I believe that David Bowens would be coming in. At least that is what I think the plan will be.

I think this is a great idea because QB's obviously will be afraid of 3 massive guys like that on the line and play more away from Gardener right into JT. Plus it only helps make our line an obvious pre season pick for top 5 in run defense!

Yea, I really don't remember him playing end either. Strange that none of us remember that.

This could be an awesome move or a bust depending on how fast DG is/can become. If he has the quicks to put up a decent pass rush then this could become one of the most dominant O-lines in football. If not, QB's will just hang out on his side of the line all day long (OK, maybe not that long.)

Personally, I think it will be awesome but I'll withold judgement until I see him in action.

P.S. I don't think DG ever played end, at least not at the pro level.

Gardener was a DE in college

It wasn't until we drafted him that he moved to DT. DG can play DE. He's so quick and athletic. And he can bull rush and close down the pocket. At 6'6", it's no wonder he has back problems playing DT.

This move makes so much sense. In our scheme, the LE is usually a run-stopper. And that's what made the Kenny Mixon/Trace Armstrong combo so effective. Mixon (at 280 lbs) was always force against the run. He played it so well. Then Trace would come in on passing downs and do his thing. But when Trace left and Kenny dropped 15 lbs, he lost that bulk and strength and was ineffective against the run.

Moving Daryl Gardener outside would be like putting the old Kenny Mixon back outside....times two. It just makes sense. Then on 3rd down, you bring in David Bowens (your Trace Armstrong).

And if possible, I'd bring back Bromell over Mixon. Bromell is just so versatile and is a QB killer. He can play anywhere on the line. But if Gardener gets hurt, you'd rather plug in Mixon (back at 280). Still, I'd go with Bromell for that element of versatility.

Originally posted by Expo88

P.S. I don't think DG ever played end, at least not at the pro level.

This is from the article in the Herald yesterday.
As a rookie in 1996, Gardener worked extensively at left defensive end.
That's all it said about that. I think 87 is right, it's funny how none of us remembers that.

I love the move. I also think it makes perfect sense and addresses our worst problem last year run D. And it should help keep DG healthier. If i remeber correctly last year he lost about 15 pounds to try to take stress off his back and now he can go ahead and loose as much as he can. But i dont think that we have enough depth at pass rushers, on third and long you got to bring in two more pass rushers but who are they? what if one of them gets hurt?

Back
Top Bottom