Gardener Quickly Draws Interest (merged) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gardener Quickly Draws Interest (merged)

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Gardener Quickly Draws Interest

From John Clayton's Quick Hits

July 19, 2002
Interest high in former-Dolphins DL Gardener
Six teams quickly checked in to show interest on former Dolphins defensive lineman Daryl Gardener, who was cut by Miami on Friday. The Bills and Packers may lead the way, but the price will much different. Gardener could have made -- with incentive -- around $5.4 million this year. He had a base of $2.635 million, but he missed too many workout sessions during the past couple of months for the Dolphins' taste. Teammates were starting to feel as though Gardener was getting special treatment even though the team wasn't going to pay him the $200,000 workout bonus after he had failed to comply with attendance requirements. Gardener has a bad back and has had a couple of surgeries over the past two seasons. His departure, though, leaves the Dolphins with a $6 million hit on next year's salary cap.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/clayton/qhits.html

I hope he does well but I really hope he doesn't land in the AFC East or even the AFC. I hope he goes to the Packers though that would definitely send them on the road to the super bowl even more and if we were to go to the Super Bowl we might have to play them.

I hope DG is too much $$$ for the Bills. I hope he goes to a bad team in the NFC.

Honestly, I don't think that Gardener's back will ever hold up for an entire season again. So he'll have to go somewhere that is already somewhat established at DT. Cincinnati comes to mind.

But that $6 million hit is gonna punch us in the nuts next year.

Originally posted by Muck
But that $6 million hit is gonna punch us in the nuts next year.

After that $6 mill. hit, will we still have to pay him more money in the future?

Nope. All that stuff falls in a two-year window. You either pay what you owe all at once or over a 2-year period.

This is just great - our best lineman maybe playing for the Bills this season and we are paying the tab! Madison and Thomas couldn't hold their tongues and the whole team pays. The kicker is that now Thomas doen't have DG taking on two blockers - we saw what happened when DG went down last year. I can't believe it.

Steve_t, how exactly was Daryl Gardener going to keep 2 blockers off of Thomas this season? He was slated to play LDE, not DT.

Originally posted by steve_t
This is just great - our best lineman maybe playing for the Bills this season and we are paying the tab! Madison and Thomas couldn't hold their tongues and the whole team pays. The kicker is that now Thomas doen't have DG taking on two blockers - we saw what happened when DG went down last year. I can't believe it.

First off, JT is our best lineman. DG will not play a full season no matter where he plays. The Bills are one of 6 teams interested in DG. Larry Chester will now be our run stuffer.

Thomas hasn't had DG taking on blockers in two years.

Hold their tongues?? I think they held their tongues long enough. Two years is a long time. What good is your best defensive lineman if he can't stay on the field and divides the locker room??

IMO, Gardener won't be playing for the Bills unless he accepts a very low-end contract.

If I were the Bills I'd hire Gardener's services. He's an emotional player and his emotions would be running high against the Phins. He'd make SURE he was healthy against us.

Honestly maybe Daryl Gardener just needs a good kick in the pants like this. I mean you heard the players, they said after he got the contract he stopped working hard. He was comfortable, had a fat wallet, and took his position for advantage.

I may be crazy and making this up but I SWEAR that I read this year, only a few weeks before Daryl got injured, that he had stopped seeing that one specialized trainer. Coincidence? Who knows...but if you're getting paid that much to make sure you're back is healthy, you can't stop seein the guy and taking his advice just cuz you feel good and back on top of the world and everything.

Similar to what Jimmy did for him when he drafted this "extremely talented but un-motivated player out of Baylor". Jimmy lit a fire under his ass and made him a stud.

BUT that was before all these back problems came a calling. Sure, it's possible to get him motivated again. But this back thing just keeps getting worse and worse. Each year it gets to him earlier. IMO, he'll never play a full season again. And that's why it would be in his best interest to go to a team that would employ a rotation at DT. A team that already has two established DTs.

I dont know about you but I'm kind of relieved by Gardener's release. I get tired of year in and year out wondering when Gardener's back is gonna go THIS time around. I bet the dolphins did too. With Gardener gone you can go about finding his replacement much more effectively.

Back
Top Bottom