Gardener Released!!! / Jay Williams traded for | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gardener Released!!! / Jay Williams traded for

I still say it was an educated guess. You kept insisting that cutting Daryl Gardener would make us lose money on the 2002 cap and therefore its a ridiculous notion. To back up your assertion you used completely unreliable and incomplete data. I pointed this out and said that a simple assumption that we will probably save money on the 2002 cap should we release Daryl, based on the recurring rumors about the very real possibility of Daryl's release, would probably be more accurate than any calculations you could come up with based on unreliable and incomplete data.

And, which "guess" turned out to be more accurate? Thats right your calculations were easily as much of a "guess" as my deduction because they were based on unreliable and incomplete numbers. What I did or did not know about how June 1st affects the cap is really a completely unrelated issue. I based my guess that we'd probably save money, on the fact that we were hearing repeatedly about Daryl Gardener's possible release from many different sources.

But anywho, dajesus you can keep beating the dead horse because he's still alive...you're the one that explained to ME how June 1st affects the cap precisely, and if I'm to remember correctly, if we waited til after June 1st of 2003 then we would have almost $2 million in deadweight on the 2003 salary cap. Sure its not the $6 million in deadweight we'll have now, but its also not the "nothing" that you proclaim it to be. And it should be noted, and this most definitely IS beating a dead horse, that when 2004 rolls around and we're dealing with a lot of high salaries from our star players, not having that $4 or $5 million in deadweight on the 2004 salary cap could go a pretty long way in helping us to stay competitive. I know you want to say that we're just completely screwed so we might as well have a firesale and become the Bengals for a few years but thats why I'm also glad you're not our GM because thats really not very realistic. A lot can happen in a couple of years and when 2004 rolls around I'm willing to bet the team is quite happy that we don't have $5 million deadweight as payment for Daryl Gardener's 2002 campaign as a run stuffing LDE who plays DT on SOME passing downs.

They did the right thing fiscally, talent-wise, and chemistry-wise. We are a better team and will be a better team for years to come because of this move. We're not $6 million in the hole for 2003, we're $2 million in the clear as far as I'm concerned.

I think that it will be hard for any team to sign Gardener because of his greediness. He is in the same catagory as Ricky Watters, another guy who won't sign unless he gets a lot of money.

Ricky Watters is in the twilight of his career, and has proven and accomplished just about everything a player could want to.

What has DG proven or accomplished?

2 very different stories and 2 very different cases. Bad comparison.

Oh please CK yours was an absolute guess. You didn't bring anything more to the table then "I believe we will save some money". At least I had the numbers right there (which again you couldn't disprove because again YOU WERE GUESSING). Heck if we had known simply that you could forward more of the charge then 50/50 the whole discussion would have changed. You could have brought that information to the discussion if you weren't guessing. So please no more "educated" in your guessing ;) ;)

That was a guess that could have easily turned wrong IF the phins had done the smart thing and swallowed 1.5-2 million of the 6.1 million this year. Darnay Scott is gone and Adams is about to sign his contract with either Seattle or Denver. Who the heck would we sign at this point? I think this is the one point that is kinda ticking me off about the whole Daryl Gardener issue (besides the fact we ate a 4th rounder on Jay and possibly another draft pick in 2003 for another DE) is the fact Spielman pushed so much of the money into next year. I would sure be more comfortable with a 4.1-4.6 million hit next year.

Heck that extra 1.5-2 million could pay for a pretty good replacement for Rodgers :lol: :lol:

VanDolPhan allow me to ease your mind a little on the subject. Teams don't have an "option" of how much to eat each year.

If you release a guy before June 1 you eat all the remaining signing bonus proration that year.

If you release a guy after June you eat the prorated portion of the signing bonus for that year then, then you eat all the remaining signing bonus moey the next year.

You have no option as to whether you want to eat it that year,half and half, or just push it into next year at that point.I hope this will help you move on a little.

One little thing about DG he still will get his 3.5 mil for that incentive he had with the team on playing a % of defensive downs.The team paid for the insurance policy even and he'll get the money now from the insurance company instead of from the Phins themselves.Wonderful how greedy athletes still seem to always find a way to make sure they get their money.

Back
Top Bottom