Gardener Situation Is Interesting...missed Practice. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gardener Situation Is Interesting...missed Practice.

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hello......I apologize...I could not attend this morning's practice.

I just want to put in a little props to DENNY....who did post some very informative news a while back---on some of the in-house problems that DARYL and WANNY have been going through....plus he did add some insight on what the Dolphins may do if they were to beef up the Defensive Line....with implying that the Dolphins may think about just outright releasing DG...if they did sign up a KENNY MIXON...which they did not of course....but his underlying point was there.

Now comes this today at the Herald site....that the Dolphins are indeed thinking of releasing GARDENER....citing that GARDENERS attitude is becoming very self-centered. Now.....who is the source? I sure do not know....but I do know this...

Daryl Gardener missed todays practice....and from what I understand....it was due to the old phrase of "PERSONAL REASONS".

I have heard... that indeed there has been a few teammates who are very upset with GARDENERS attitude....and it has to do with the way that DG has been treating the rookies...the younger players. From what I understand.....he is really bossing and to the point....belittling (hazing?) some of the young guys. There has been complaints by some....that DG has taken this thing to the point---beyond the erratic and unnecessary level.

Now...this may or may not have to do with the non-appearance at Dolphin Camp today....he may have indeed been personally excused.

The one thing that stands though is this: This situation concerning DG and his future status with the Dolphins...is definately worth watching from this point on. It is true....that there is not that much of a relationship between DG and WANNY.....and there is no doubt....that DG is not one of the most popular guys in that locker room.

The Dolphins are not happy with even that restructured contract that GARDNER eventually caved into doing. The Dolphins just feel that DG's chronic back problems will eventually come into play and really cost the team....a heck of a lot of money in due time. They really....when you get down to it.....see GARDENER as a MAJOR RISK.....thats on the field...and inside the locker room.

The bottom line: IMO.....I really believe that the Dolphins are very concerned about DG's attitude in that locker room....and they wonder about his erratic, and often selfish behavior....as he just seems to walk and talk and do just about anything he wants to do. The hulking man walks around camp...like an intimidating force....and it just rubs some of the guys the wrong way....that is the problem with DG in a nutshell.

Daryl Gardener leads by intimidation and fear.....and this is what has the coaches worried about him. Is he worth the risk....health wise and in the locker room?

That is the question? Right Denny?

Like I said.....there is something about this situation....and it bears watching. I personally am not aware of any imminent release of Daryl Gardener. But I would not be surprised if it did happen...in the near future. When Wanny thinks of a team leader.....he is not thinking of Daryl Gardener, believe me.

DCH

Well we take the full cap hit regardless. I for one am seriously against cancer players. It was the main reason why I didn't want Chris Carter on this team. If Daryl IS causing these problems, then cut his ass loose.

I say wait til after this season is over, cut him after June 1st a year from now. Will end up saving a lot more money and will have room to sign a quality defensive end (if we haven't drafted one by then), as well as possible DT (which would be a more likely draft choice for the 1st round IMO).

Right now the only option if we cut DG would be to sign Sam Adams. And sure he's a good DT and that would help, but I'm first off wondering how many good years he's got left and second off wondering what we'd do about the DE situation since Daryl was SUPPOSED to start at DE.

I ALSO WANT TO NOTE.....

The signing of DE ROB BURNETT may have just added some fuel to the fire on the DG situation.

BURNETT has been very impressive....having put on a stellar 3 day performance out there in this last camp. The guy is showing the form that he displayed when he was on that championship RAVENS defense. He is back...fully healthy....and really...looks like he could even make a push as a threat to the starting DE spot... the one that DG has presently now.

There also has been some good play coming from both D-BO....DAVID BOWENS....and the guy who is now #93....and 10 grand richer....ADAWALE OGUNGLEYE. Both of these guys have done a real nice job this off-season.

The Dolphins just may be taking a real, hard look...at this DL....and asking themselves about the what and ifs.....if they do release DARYL GARDENER. Well....we are left with A. tons of extra cash to sign perhaps another DL. B. We have enough depth at DE.....BURNETT...who would start....and your rotating ends.....O-GUN and D-BO.

That may just be the mind-set there. Plus....they like some of these new guys....like WALLACE and ATKINS.

Again....its a situation that would not surprise me....either way.

Maybe my friend ROBERT BAILEY was right when he said to me...." BURNETT will be the starter when its all said and done....he knows the game so well....and he is as good as either TAYLOR or GARDENER".

BAILEY......who played under WANNSTEDT at the UM......told the coach recently.....pretty much the same thing he told me....that BURNETT was going to be more than what the Dolphins had hoped for. So far.,.so good....but the true test will be when the pads come on next month.

Just some food for thought.... DCH

But with all the core of high paid defensive players we have whose contracts will start to get pretty hefty as the years go by (Daryl, JT, Madison, Surtain, Thomas, Bowens) cutting DG's salary now would go a long way toward helping us keep those salaries so, who knows. Maybe if we could get a Sam Adams now for cutting Daryl Gardener, it might be worth it. But personally I wouldn't feel good about that since it would kind of make our Larry Chester signing obsolete (at least til we get rid of Bowens) and he could be a very good player for us right now.

VERY INTERESTINK! (Remember Hogan's Hero's?)

This situation is no surprise based on what we've seen from Gardner since Wanny Took over. IF it is true that Wanny has issues with DG that could impact the team chemistry, I bet DG is a goner.
For those that think Wanny cares or fears what DG could do.........you might recall Wanny having the balls to move a guy named Dan Marino. He didn't care what Dan, the team, or the fans thought about it.

First off most fans have a pretty skewed memory about that. Dan was a free agent, and hadn't contacted the team or anything. Wanny just assumed he was retiring. When all was said and done Wannstedt made an invitation to Dan Marino to play for the Dolphins and Dan refused. Wanny wasn't stonewalling him. It was a situation where Dan was afraid Wannstedt didn't want him playing for him and so he was reluctant to talk to him, and Wannstedt wasn't about to call Dan to have him play for him because he probably didn't particularly want him and since Dan's the free agent he is the one that should approach them about it. If Dan would have approached them about playing another year, I'm sure Wannstedt would not have refused. And in fact he did end up extending an offer to Dan when the Dolphans out there started screaming murder because they had the impression that Wannstedt was telling Dan he didn't want him.

But anyway I'm not too comfortable with a DE situation that involves just JT, Burnett, Ogunleye, and Bowens. I'm not convinced that Ogunleye can even make it at the NFL level (plenty of college guys who are talked about as possible 1st rounders nearly a year before the draft don't make it in the NFL, even if they AREN'T fighting ugly knee injuries....O-Gun wasn't even a lock for a first round pick, and he had the ugly knee injury). Bowens, well who knows he shows some really impressive stuff out there but who knows if all that speed can really translate into technique as a possible fulltimer.

And I'll say this about Rob Burnett. Much like Leon Searcy, its not the level of play WHEN COMPLETELY HEALTHY that everyone has questioned all along, its their ability to stay completely healthy at this juncture that is in question IMO. Last year Burnett was fighting through injury after injury and it may be that he just can't handle a full NFL season as a starter anymore. I mean we're talking about a DE situation that involves a 35 year old starter with one guy who has been cut twice backing him up (Little Bo), and another undrafted free agent backing them up who as far as I know has never even played in a game (Ogungleye).

I'm not comfortable with that.

gardner [back boy]

"And I'll say this about Rob Burnett. Much like Leon Searcy, its not the level of play WHEN COMPLETELY HEALTHY that everyone has questioned all along, its their ability to stay completely healthy at this juncture that is in question IMO. Last year Burnett was fighting through injury after injury and it may be that he just can't handle a full NFL season as a starter anymore. I mean we're talking about a DE situation that involves a 35 year old starter with one guy who has been cut twice backing him up (Little Bo), and another undrafted free agent backing them up who as far as I know has never even played in a game (Ogungleye).

I'm not comfortable with that."

PARROTT: that being said, you think it is wise to keep a high priced, bad back, aging attitude headcase in that mix? seems like it would be better to ax him now and develope a younger, healthier guy and/or sign a good f/a!!

:monkey: on daryl gardner

Re: gardner [back boy]

Originally posted by clayton83
PARROTT: that being said, you think it is wise to keep a high priced, bad back, aging attitude headcase in that mix? seems like it would be better to ax him now and develope a younger, healthier guy and/or sign a good f/a!!

:monkey: on daryl gardner

I just don't see it happening this year though. The cap hit for this year and next season would be just too large for a team trying to make a super bowl run. Where as if they can hold out till next year with cutting him in mind they can have more options on possible replacements and spread the signing bonus cost over as a lower number over 2 years instead of 2 bigger chunks now.

By the way where the heck is this herald article? I keep looking under dolphins news but I think I am blind ;p

Either way I don't buy the Sam Adams argument for a minute because we are then tied into Larry Chester for the next 2 years as a really expensive backup. Plus even what savings against the cap (salary minus signing bonus hit) wouldn't be enough to sign Sam Adams. Sam Adams is looking for J.T type #'s and anything below that the Ravens could afford to sign him with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think these things get over analyzed in the off season. Sure he may be a bit lewd, and has health concerns, but lets not forget how much DG means to this D. The obvious 30 rushin yards per game more with out DG our D surrenderd, but lets not forget the 6 sacks he had in like 7 games, or the fact that our pass rush was missing in action after his injury. We also can't forget how much better he makes life for Zach when he is in the line up. Dave or any other coach for that matter would be stupid not to give him 1 more year to prove that he can still play at a superstar level. If he can somehow manage to stay healthy our d-line is in the top 5 in the NFL. With out him we are mearly average.

Right now, I'm on the fence with this topic....

DG is a force when healthy...but when was the last time he was healthy? If he is being the cancer that I just read about, then he gots to go. But I need to know how solid these rumors are before I take a stance. :confused:

THANKS FOR THE NEW DCH...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. :D

Last edited:
gardner.............

i wonder if gardner is doing steroids?

makes sense. uncontrolled, eratic behavior. lashing out. all tell tell signs. i have had 3 back surgeries, i know what it's like.

you can see why he would do it. help regenerate his ailing back. help him through his workouts to keep his physique. get him through practices and games..............

i wonder if the finz are wise to this and are trying to cut bait before he is busted and the problems get worse?

Wow, it all makes sense now.Excellent observation clayton83....that has got to be the case. Why else would he all of a sudden become this rogue beast that he is being charactorized as?

If we cut Gardener, we better have someone good to come in and back up at DT. Remember last season when a couple of injuries to Bowens and Gardener left Haley, Grant in there and they just couldn't cut it.

Maybe Gardener isnt worth his price tag, but if we cut him, we cant rely on haley and Grant if chester and/or bowens gets hurt.

Might be better if we have...

Originally posted by jaxdolfan
If we cut Gardener, we better have someone good to come in and back up at DT. Remember last season when a couple of injuries to Bowens and Gardener left Haley, Grant in there and they just couldn't cut it.

Maybe Gardener isnt worth his price tag, but if we cut him, we cant rely on haley and Grant if chester and/or bowens gets hurt.

quality at DE since he is slated to start as a DE.

Back
Top Bottom