Gardener's "personal Problems" Are Also Domestic Related... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gardener's "personal Problems" Are Also Domestic Related...

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
With training camp only days away.....the Dolphins now have two players that they now have to be be plenty concerned about.
The news today of LB DERRICK ROGERS hitting a 19 year old man over the head--supposedly with a metal chair, at a trendy South Beach restaurant....allegedly just because he caught him at the same table where his wife was sitting....really, really, caught the entire Dolphin Organization off guard. It was seemingly completely out of character for a player of his respect inside the organization.
The Dolphins now have their own team security investigator---STU WEINSTEIN working on this case...as he is working with the officers who arrested ROGERS...and trying to interpret to the likes of WANN-SPIEL...on the validity of the facts of that arrest...and it is also his responsibility to pass along a complete detailed report of the arrest to the league offfices in New York....where the NFL's security people will do their own follow-up investigation.
Of course.....ROGERS is still innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.....this is a case that could linger on for the next couple of months...perhaps into the season itself. KAREEF ROGERS....has apparently told many media outlets down here....that ROGERS did not strike her....and this whole thing...was just "a complete misunderstanding". This whole case just may be in the hands of this young man....who says he was just trying to say hello to Rogers' wife. If he presses charges of baterry assault against ROGERS...and if he does have witnesses....then ROGERS is probably in some serious trouble...as far as being fined or suspended.
As I write this post----ROGERS...is still spending the night in jail...as he will be released in the morning on a bail of $10,000 dollars.
It is going to be quite interesting now----to see what action the Dolphins brass are going to do....as far as ROGERS reporting to camp on his scheduled time....on July 27th. By NFL rules.....ROGERS now has to go for DOMESTIC COUNSELING help...for an unspecified amount of time. Any time a player is arrested for a domestic violence issue....the NFL now requires that player to go for counseling. This whole ROGERS issue again.....has come at a very poor time for the Dolphins.....who already have concern over another player...who is going through some personal, off-the field problems.....DARYL GARDENER.

I will not go into detail about DARYL GARDENER's personal problems......but I can tell you....that I know what they concern. DARYL GARDENER is having domestic-marital problems....and has gone into a depressive state of mind. There are no arrests....no violent fighting or anything that would be newsworthy. Gardener has literally been distracted by this apparent seperation....and had come to the Dolphins to ask for some time off. The result of all these personal excused absences.....coupled with DG's just lack of coming in on a conistent basis....to work out in the weight room...in the off-season.....has undoubtedly lead the DOlphins brass to contemplate the matter of GARDENER's state of mind....and committment to the team. This is pretty much the crux of the entire DG saga right now. He is depressed....and he is seemingly distancing himself from his teammates....all because of these personal problems at home.
Again....its going to be interesting to see how WANNSTEDT handles GARDENER...once training camp begins.

The beat writers know about Gardeners personal problems now.....but there had been so many rumors about steroids, and other possible substance abuses....in relation to this matter....that they really had to be careful.

I believe by weeks end.....there will be more news forthcoming on the status of DARYL GARDNER...and about that bonus money that will indeed be held back...about $200,000. I have heard that the Dolphins will hold that money back.....but its merely just a plain business decision. Gardener can't collect the bonus....because he did not attend 90% of the workouts...that is the bottom line.

In conclusion....I feel that both ROGERS and GARDENER will be there when the pads come on.....and from there....I think the Dolphins will just take it on a one day basis..... but the bottom line....its a whole lot of headaches....and the Dolphins need to also evaluate the worth of both of these players.....sooner than later.
DCH

Thank you DCH, I thougt that might be the problem with DG, mainly because it usually is. It really is awesome that you are a member here.

dch,
you say you won't go into it (with regards to daryls troubles) but then you touch on it with accusations, so if you know what they are why not just post what you are alluding to?

what a blow to the D and the team. if DR and DG are not playing, we do not have the depth to be a great D behind them. DG in particular is worrisome since putting on pads, hangin' out w/the guys and lifting some weights s/b just what the Dr ordered to take his mind off of his personal problems. He may have manic tendencies for him to get depressed about his separation to the point of not working. In the "real" world, you must go to work even if you are unhappy about something at home; and I think NFL players should certain do so as well.

Does DG have kids ? If so, I can relate more to his depression, than without.

Either way, this could all work out or it could destroy our chances of being a better team in 2002, but it is too early to tell.

When a man's wife is cheating on him and wants a divorce, I think he has a right to be a little upset and depressed. Yes in the real world you have to keep working but the real world is also very forgiving of a few slips because of something like this, as should the Dolphins if they ascertain that Daryl really is committed to playing football this year. You're making too big of a deal out of what Daryl's done so far as a result of his personal problems. All he's done is fail to attend 90% of VOLUNTARY WORKOUTS. VOLUNTARY

VOLUNTARY

VOLUNTARY!

So its simple the Dolphins had a deal in place where if he goes to 90% of the voluntary workouts he gets $200,000. He chose not to for a pretty understandable excuse but it doesn't mean he's gonna get the 200k. If he was a no-show at TRAINING CAMP, it would be a more serious issue.

I agree with CKP. Gardner is our best player, and I cannot believe all of the people jumping on this guy's back at the first sign of trouble. Everyone makes mistakes, and DG's are not severe. His back will be fine and with a little rest he will be back to his old self. I think that the plan is to hold him out of contact drills and just keep him ready for game day. All we need from his is about 15 plays per game and the D will dominate.

Let's wait until the pads come on and then see what happens. If this kind of crap continues then we could be in some serious troble on the defensive side as both of these guy's problems affect the two thinnest areas on our team. Hopefully hatchetts are buried and some snot kncking begins.

Lets just hope DG and DR make it through training camp so they can unleash this anger they are having on some opposing offenses. DG+anger=trouble for opposing QB. Lastly, my sympathies go out to DG, I know the feeling bro. 10 bucks says once the hitting starts, you'll feel better......

Originally posted by BMarion31
Lastly, my sympathies go out to DG, I know the feeling bro. 10 bucks says once the hitting starts, you'll feel better......

I think most of us do know the feeling... at least to some degree... Hopefully he can re-direct that pent up aggression on people like Vinny and Drew :evil:

Back
Top Bottom