Garo Yepremian Memorial Thread (1944-2015)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DefensiveEnd76, May 15, 2015.

1. GJR

GJR Member

Thank you sir, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. The sad irony is that my dad started a foundation for brain tumor research 15 years before he was diagnosed... my sister-in-law had an inoperable brain tumor before graduating high school and was given six months to live. She passed away six years later, and the charity was my dad's way of fighting back. When he was diagnosed, it was already stage 4 cancer. It started in his abdomen as Neuroendocrine Cancer and spread to his brain. We lived through one year of hell on earth as he went from treatment to treatment, but 4 years ago today, his battle came to an end. He was 70 years old- we're thankful for the time we had with him and for people like you and the others on this forum who keep his memory alive!

2. dolpns13

dolpns13 Taste the Burn Finheaven VIP Donator

R.I.P.

coalesce likes this.
  3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Tanking for Tua shouldn't be this complicated Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Very sad news. RIP

coalesce likes this.
  4. coalesce

coalesce Dolphin Fan since 1974

I’ll also always remember your Dad when he appeared on my favorite sitcom The Odd Couple. A player from my favorite team appearing in my favorite sitcom. My worlds have collided!!

Daytona Fin, Awsi Dooger and Vaark like this.
  5. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Thank you. I had forgotten about that episode. Things like that were huge in that era. Heavily anticipated.

Likewise when a player from someone's favorite college team would appear on the Bob Hope All-America Team special. Everyone wondered what type of quip Hope would save for that player, and how the player would handle it. I'm not sure if any future Dolphins appeared on those specials. Seemingly it had to happen but I can't remember a specific example.

coalesce likes this.
  6. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly." Finheaven VIP Donator

I had this poster as a kid. A poster of a kicker....but, he was OUR kicker!

Yepremian_-_1975_Dolphins.jpg

7. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

I just saw this thread had been bumped and came in to check it out. I’m so glad I did. Your dad was a hero to us older dolphins fans and is symbol of the great teams that were filled with classy, unselfish players. Your dad being one of them.

GJR, Awsi Dooger, John Biello and 4 others like this.
  8. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

I wish I was around for those days.... I was born in ‘79, so I missed out on the glory days of the early-mid 70’s when Garo was kicking for us. Being part Armenian (my grandfather came to the U.S. from Armenia when he was very young), I always felt a bit of a connection to Garo, even though I never met him. Nice to have you here GJR.

9. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

My deepest sympathies for his family. He was a good guy and a good player, and he will be missed. It is unfortunate that he is most known for giving his best effort in a bad and un-practiced position responding to a blocked kick. He will be missed.

GJR and 13marino13 like this.
  10. 13marino13

13marino13 I DON'T ROLL ON SHABBOS! Finheaven VIP Donator

Close enough...

11. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

That's weird to read it that way. I suppose Garo is remembered most for that play beyond any other play. But it's hardly the first thing I think of when his name appears. I'm always a bit surprised that play yanks so much attention.

Garo was the wise-cracking eye-blinking smile-producing joy of the franchise for nearly a decade. Everyone loved Garo. If you asked Dolphins fans during that era to rattle off names of players I guarantee Garo's name would show up within the top 5 or 6 more often than not. It many not seem that way this far removed but that was the reality of the era. You always think of the players who stand out from the norm, especially in a popular fashion.

And when those names were said, the two linked to bringing out a smile would be Csonka and Garo. No question about it.

I have to say I wasn't overly thrilled when we signed Garo initially. The Dolphins had gone through many kickers during the expansion '60s. I remember Booth Lusteg the most. He was a straight-on kicker who would mostly punch at the ball more than actually following through.

Then in 1969 the Dolphins drafted Karl Kremser. Now that was a big name. I'm not sure Slimm goes back that far. But he's probably heard the story of when Kremser stunned Alabama with a 54 yard field goal to pull out the game for Tennessee, 10-9. I was watching live as a young kid and loving every second of it.

My dad was a college professor and came home one day to announce he had a Dolphins player in his class. When he rattled off the name I said of course I know who that is. I was shocked did didn't remember the name, not until I mentioned the kick against Alabama, which both of us had watched. I guess Kremser was taking extra classes because he wanted to become a teacher. In looking at his bio he had a long successful career, including soccer coach at FIU. Dad told me the next week that Kremser smiled broadly when he mentioned that kick and that I had remembered it.

Kremser had a fairly successful rookie season by standards of that era. I assumed he would be the Dolphins kicker for many years. Then Shula brought in Garo to challenge. Throughout camp it was hardly clear which way Shula would go. Kremser was a much bigger guy with a stronger leg.

Shula eventually went with Garo and like so many early decisions of that era it was a wise one.

SF Dolphin Fan and TheJetsBlow like this.
  12. CRIOS

CRIOS Formerly: A&O Finheaven VIP Donator

1558175744764.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 6:38 AM
    royalshank, GJR and Daytona Fin like this.
  13. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

If memory serves, Yepremian was asked what Shula said to him after that blocked kick fiasco. Shula, being the ultimate teacher, told him next time fall on the ball. Here the team is in the super bowl, a game where they were totally in command with 2:07 to play and Shula is still coaching. As others have said, Yepremian made a lot of crucial kicks but over the years that one made the highlight reels.

TheJetsBlow likes this.
  14. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I love you thoughtful posts. Yes, Yepremian was a memorable personality and well liked by players and fans. Didn't know the background of how he was brought it. Thanks for that information!

Awsi Dooger likes this.