Garo Yepremian Memorial Thread (1944-2015) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Garo Yepremian Memorial Thread (1944-2015)

Damn first BB King and now Garo. Sad day.

Condolences to the Yepremian family, his friends and his Dolphin family.

[video=youtube;hCMItel7GNo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMItel7GNo[/video]

Garo laughed at his attempted pass in the Superbowl. It certainly made me laugh and I do everytime I see it. It makes it better that we won the game. Garo was just trying to make a play but he ended up making a funny highlight reel. LOL

Reactions: GJR
Wow....really a sad day for us dolphin fans. God bless and condolences to his family. RIP....Garo

This was a jolt. Garo was one of the beloved members of that team, perhaps behind only Csonka. When we shopped for ties at Christmas time there were always Garo jokes. And that applied to the community in general. Would Garo approve of this tie? Maybe it is a Garo tie.

Garo saved the Perfect Season long before anyone was contemplating the possibility. That's an aspect that always annoys me. Younger fans hear about certain plays, like Seiple's fake punt against the Steelers, but so many of the most vital plays from 1972 are seldom if ever mentioned. One of them is Morrall's deep crossing pattern to Warfield in the 4th quarter of the playoff opener hosting Cleveland. The Orange Bowl crowd was tense and all but silent before that play. We trailed 14-13 and the offense was all but stalled. Months earlier at Minnesota the Dolphins were physically outplayed for the vast majority of that game. It was like a prize fighter hanging on by the ropes, hoping the referee won't wave it off. Miami had no points at halftime. Somehow we trailed only 14-6 in the middle of the 4th quarter. No 2 point conversion in those days. I remember the lack of energy in our Florida room when Shula sent Garo out there for a 51 yard attempt. Nobody made kicks like that outdoors at old dusty Metropolitan Stadium. We waited for the miss, and the game to be all but over.

Somehow Garo connected. Nothing during those glory seasons surprised me more than that kick. The bench erupted. The team noticeably rejuvenated as a result, as did the attitude in our home, and among Dolphin fans everywhere. Highlight packages invariably show Griese's winning late touchdown pass to Mandich. Lazy and pathetic. That drive didn't carry nearly the unlikely odds of Garo's kick. Check field goal percentages in those days, for Garo himself and for anybody at that distance or beyond. At no point of that 1972 season were our true odds of victory as low as prior to the snap on that lengthy field goal.

Garo takes all the grief, including from some teammates, for that blundered pass. Meanwhile, nobody would care much about a long-ago 16-1 team. Garo played a huge role in the ongoing legend and mystique of that jealousy-inspiring team.

RIP

he was the glue that cemented my undying love for this team... the Christmas Day Game to me is still, the greatest game ever! I was just a sprout... but I musta prayed 10k prayers during those overtimes... the back-&-forth... the FG attempts-misses.. and finally, the Great Garo... thx li'l-big mustache-sideburns wearing-broken English speaking-non football throwing-field goal making-game winning hero of a man.. RIP.

Shocked and saddened to hear this. I didn't know he was ailing from brain cancer. What an awful thing. He was far too young.

Garo didn't take himself so seriously, and that is a nice trait in a person, in my opinion. RIP Garo, you are one of ours.

Saddens me that one of the most iconic dolphin players has passed. He was part of an era that made you proudest to be a dolphin fan. God I miss that era, their excellence makes our mediocrity at best performance tougher to watch.

I started at fb and linebacker in high school and actually was backup kicker. I mention that because for No other reason than Gary kicked that way, I kicked that way. Rest in piece Gary. Now if you had lost that superbowl for us, I would have had other wishes for you

Back
Top Bottom