Garo Yepremian Memorial Thread (1944-2015) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Garo Yepremian Memorial Thread (1944-2015)

RIP Garo, very sad to see another member of the Dolphins Family pass.

Hello everyone,

I stumbled across this old post a short time ago, and I quickly signed up to become a member of this forum so I could thank each and every one of you for your heartfelt reactions to my father’s death. I'm sorry that I did not discover it sooner! Tomorrow will mark 4 years since he has been gone. Anyone who has lost a parent can relate to what I have been going through and reading your entries made me feel great knowing that there are still many fans out there who remember him warmly. Those of you who had met him can attest to the fact that he had an extremely magnetic personality– the void he left behind is hard to explain. It has truly been a healing experience to hear from all of you and Dolphin fans nationwide.

Thank you again for your support, and please reply or send me a PM anytime.

Garo Yepremian Jr.

PS: I run a Facebook page in my dad’s memory- (moderators, feel free to remove if this if not allowed), but here is a link to more information. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/Garo-Yepremian-181982624649/
Welcome to the site brother. I hope you'll join VIP as there's so much there, not to mention the VIP chatroom which we use all the time. I lost my dad back in 2005 so I can relate.

I'm sure I mentioned the 4th quarter field goal at Minnesota in 1972. Easily the most under appreciated play of The Perfect Season.

That kick is always the first thing that comes to my mind regarding Garo Yepremian. I remember I was standing up in our living room, maybe 5 feet from the TV and watching with virtually no energy or anticipation. My dad was seated in a recliner to my right. After that kick somehow went through the uprights my dad leaped to his feet in disbelief and likewise I turned to face him in disbelief. Then we started shrieking and celebrating, knowing full well that now there was a real chance indeed.

RIP. Great Kicker and Great Person. I just remember Csonka saying, I'm sure he was kidding:ponder:, that he wanted to kill him after he threw that pass in SBVII. If he had made the FG and wouldn't have thrown the ball, we would have had a perfect season at 17-0 and a perfect game winning 17-0.

Hello everyone,

I stumbled across this old post a short time ago, and I quickly signed up to become a member of this forum so I could thank each and every one of you for your heartfelt reactions to my father’s death. I'm sorry that I did not discover it sooner! Tomorrow will mark 4 years since he has been gone. Anyone who has lost a parent can relate to what I have been going through and reading your entries made me feel great knowing that there are still many fans out there who remember him warmly. Those of you who had met him can attest to the fact that he had an extremely magnetic personality– the void he left behind is hard to explain. It has truly been a healing experience to hear from all of you and Dolphin fans nationwide.

Garo Yepremian Jr.

PS: I run a Facebook page in my dad’s memory- (moderators, feel free to remove if this if not allowed), but here is a link to more information. Thanks!

Once a Phin, ALWAYS a Phin. Your Father was a significant part of our glorious history and for us "old timers" he will always be remembered and held in our highest respects. May he rest in peace, and may God bless you and your family.

RIP. Great Kicker and Great Person. I just remember Csonka saying, I'm sure he was kidding:ponder:, that he wanted to kill him after he threw that pass in SBVII. If he had made the FG and wouldn't have thrown the ball, we would have had a perfect season at 17-0 and a perfect game winning 17-0.

I don't think that was Csonka. Doesn't sound like Csonka. I've seen that quote attributed to Bob Keuchenberg in recent years. But from memory at the time I thought it was Manny Fernandez. Keuchenberg said something negative and emotional as well but the "I'll kill you" line was attributed to Fernandez.

Hello everyone,

Garo Yepremian Jr.

Very cool post. Welcome to the site. Your Pop is a legend. He was before my time but as I lifelong Dolphin fan in the making (1983 til the present) it wasn't long before I heard of our legendary kicker Garo Yepremian. A Dolphin legend!

I don't think that was Csonka. Doesn't sound like Csonka. I've seen that quote attributed to Bob Keuchenberg in recent years. But from memory at the time I thought it was Manny Fernandez. Keuchenberg said something negative and emotional as well but the "I'll kill you" line was attributed to Fernandez.
Pretty sure it was Csonka. Remember him talking about it on a documentary of the Perfect Season.

I couldn't find the video, but I did find this:

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Garo Yepremian Jr.

Your dad was one of the greatest kickers in this proud franchise's history, not to mention the NFL. I lost my sister to brain cancer several years ago and I know how hard your father's cancer was not only on him, but you and your other family members. God bless you and your family, and may your dad keep nailing 50 yarders through the golden goalposts of heaven.

Pretty sure it was Csonka. Remember him talking about it on a documentary of the Perfect Season.

I couldn't find the video, but I did find this:

Those old commercials look so funny now cause they're so dated...lol

Very cool post. Welcome to the site. Your Pop is a legend. He was before my time but as I lifelong Dolphin fan in the making (1983 til the present) it wasn't long before I heard of our legendary kicker Garo Yepremian. A Dolphin legend!

Thank you, sir!

My dad could take a ton of good natured ribbing about the pass, but there were a few who went over the top in their their criticism. I remember choice public insults in recent years from a couple of the guys, and when my dad confronted them behind closed doors at team reunions, they clammed up and backed down, just as you would expect from bullies. It was a life lesson for my brother and I to witness these things, where on the one hand there were teammates who were thankful for all the things he had done throughout that year, and others who held onto anger as though he had actually caused them to lose the Super Bowl. One great man in particular who helped my dad get through the moments immediately after throwing that pass was Norm Evans. He came over to my dad on the sideline and said, "Garo, don't worry, God is good. Have faith- we're still going to pull this one out."

A recent quote in an article, from my dad on his Super Bowl pass: "It got old talking about it after the first week. Unfortunately, everywhere I go people remember because of that. You have to have a certain kind of personality to live with it. If I didn't, I would have gone into hiding and never played again. But I came back and played nine more years after that and became the Kicker of the Decade (1970's Pro Football Hall of Fame Committee). You have to take a negative, forget about it and build a positive from it."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom