Gase's Offense....the Modern Version Of Marty Ball | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase's Offense....the Modern Version Of Marty Ball

67Stang

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
For those old enough to remember Marty Schottenheimer and his offensive style of run, run, pass; Gase's offense reminds me of this philosophy. Gase sometimes replaces the run with a RB or WR screen, but the concept is the same. Don't make mistakes, rely on the D to keep the game close while trying to control the clock. It is boring, predictable, and gets coaches fired.

While Schottenheimer did have solid regular season success, he had a losing playoff record and is the only coaching NFL history with 200 wins and a losing playoff record. Although we have only made the playoffs once with Gase, I still see this recipe having the same success or lack there of. When healthy, this game plan can beat your average to below average teams, however it is not successful against quality teams. This is on par with the majority of our wins we have had under Gase. We beat teams with even or losing records and we lose games to the better teams in the league.

My biggest issue with this style of offense is you almost have to play a perfect game in your other phases of the game and your offense must be clutch at the end of close games. Just this year we have lost games with this approach in games we should have won by double digits IMHO. I don't mind Gase as a HC, but he needs to give up play calling responsibilities!

I would prefer Marty ball over this. Gase abandons the run far too often for cute sideways passes that rarely amount to anything. I would rather take my chance with Gore pushing forward for 5 yards than asking Devante Parker to avoid three tacklers to get positive yardage. The rules today make the middle of the field easy to exploit but Gase thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. The first drive against Indy was beautiful. None of the other drives looked anything like it. I don’t understand.

I would prefer Marty ball over this. Gase abandons the run far too often for cute sideways passes that rarely amount to anything. I would rather take my chance with Gore pushing forward for 5 yards than asking Devante Parker to avoid three tacklers to get positive yardage. The rules today make the middle of the field easy to exploit but Gase thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. The first drive against Indy was beautiful. None of the other drives looked anything like it. I don’t understand.

This is his biggest issue to me. He isn't smarter than everyone else. As cool as the Drake TD run was, I cringed because the play just happened to work there. In his mind it was like I am brilliant, we should do that more often.

He tries to be the smartest guy in the room and always out thinks himself. Case in point the cincy game on 3rd and half a yard.

Marty had a good defense those days while we don’t. Our defense does one thing well. They get turnovers but without those turnovers they never stop anybody because they can’t cover or tackle very well so trying to play not to lose will not work

As much as I disliked the Chiefs growing up, I would take their identity right now. Sorry but there is zero comparison between Gase and Schottenheimer. At least one always had their fan base believing they had a chance, because he could establish a winner during the regular season. His playoff coaching left alot to be desired.

Gase in no alt reality or today's reality can hold Marty's jock.

At this point I think you're being very kind to compare Gase (in any way) to Marty ("feel the gleam) Schottenheimer!

Kinda like comparing a Dachshund to a Schnauzer!

LOL

:)

He tries to be the smartest guy in the room and always out thinks himself. Case in point the cincy game on 3rd and half a yard.

We've all seen people who, every once in a while, guess right. BUT< they attribute that success to intellect and think 'OK, now I know what I'm doing.' That's Gase. Gets lucky a few plays a game and thinks he's figured it out. He hasn't.

Definitely not comparing the coaches to each other, rather their approach on the offensive side of the ball.

I completely agree that Marty Ball is better than Screen Ball.

I get that the you call a screen instead of a run when the interior of the box is loaded, but let's face facts: our screens don't go anywhere even against favorable looks. Gase needs to just cut them out of the gameplan entirely for one week and see how it works. Of course, he won't do that, because it would require some introspection and willingness to face some hard truths, but it would be interesting.

I still like Adam Gase, but his stubbornness will be his undoing here. And I honestly won't feel bad about it. Coach, sometimes you just have to swallow your pride.

All the screen passes reminds me when George Seifert was in Carolina breifly. It was painful to watch.

If Gase likes screen plays so much, why doesn't he run some RB screens instead of WR screens?
Remember the "K-Gun" offense of the late 80s and early 90s at Buffalo?
They had the RB screens down to a science, and it worked, especially against the FINS.

As much as I disliked the Chiefs growing up, I would take their identity right now. Sorry but there is zero comparison between Gase and Schottenheimer. At least one always had their fan base believing they had a chance, because he could establish a winner during the regular season. His playoff coaching left alot to be desired.

Gase in no alt reality or today's reality can hold Marty's jock.

Marty Schottenheimer was an excellent coach. He made the mistake of running into Hall of Fame quarterbacks in the playoffs. Ten of his 13 playoff defeats were to quarterbacks already in the Hall of Fame or eventually in the Hall of Fame (Brady). He lost to Marino three times and Elway three times, Jim Kelly twice and Warren Moon once.

There were some bad playoff losses to standard quarterbacks, like 1995 against the Colts and 2004 in overtime to the Jets. Schottenheimer's field goal kicker basically donated those two games, but that stuff is not remembered these days, not in favor of the jolly denouncement of Schottenheimer as coach.

Not a perfect comparison since Schottenheimer was superior, but the knocks on Schottenheimer nationwide remind me of the knocks on Wannstedt by Dolphins fans. Same simplistic mindset. Apparently Marino was excused for never winning a Super Bowl but as soon as Wannstedt shows up with Jay Fiedler and company, he was supposed to win one or more.

Give me a swing. That's the realistic criteria. The Bill Parcells "You are what you are" line is his most famous, along with "bite as pups..." and "shop for some of the groceries," but the one that stands out to me is, "Do you know how hard it is to win the Super Bowl?" He said that in frustration during a press conference.

If Ryan Tannehill were the type of quarterback capable of getting us into the playoffs regularly and especially deeper into the playoffs, there wouldn't be any valid criticism of him if he never actually won the whole thing. Maybe that is more clear to me as a bettor because I know what those odds are, even if you advance deep in the playoffs. You still might be 6/1 against or 8/1 against...something like that. Marty Schottenheimer certainly was never Even money to win the championship, or anything close to that.

The idea is to find a coach/quarterback combination capable of getting you to that 6/1 or 8/1 level. Then take your chances.

Only the elite quarterbacks reach the point their late season odds might be as low as 2/1 or Even money or odds-on, like 4/5. If you are 7 point favorite in a conference championship game and project as 7 point favorite again in the Super Bowl, then that is narrowly odds-on, or theoretically more likely than not.

That's why so many of us are desperate to find that type of quarterback, as opposed to others who think it is swell to build up the roster piece by piece, even if it means you stick with someone like Ryan Tannehill at quarterback.

Newsflash: That means your odds at the outset of the playoff are no better than 25/1 and it can be as high as 50/1. Not exaggeration. Go on the road 3 times plus the Super Bowl and you are 50/1 if not higher to win all 4. In other words, you didn't gain anything by betting that team at 40/1 before the season began.

Just a dose of reality for that build-the-roster crew.

Ernest byner cost Marty a spot in the Super Bowl too. I remember when Andy Reid was available and people didn’t want him citing he “only” made it to the nfc title game and kept losing there. It’s still sounds as ridiculous now as it did then.

Back
Top Bottom