Gase's Team | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase's Team

How would you define "hold someone accountable"? Just because you don't like the new coach you cannot say that the previous one wasn't held accountable.

You have probably read Chambers insight on this in VIP so I would say it's not speculation. Also, getting open doesn't mean he knows the playbook. He ran the wrong route on several occassions and that is the definition of NOT knowing the playbook.
If not running the right route is 112 catches vs Parker (assume he always ran the right route) pathetic play then I’ll take the former. Bill Parcells tells a great story of coaching LT in his rookie year. Taylor consistently would blitz in a game out of a formation that wasn’t taught. Parcells yelled at him that what he was doing “wasn’t in the playbook”. Next defensive series Taylor does it again and sacks the Cards QB and George Martin picks up the fumble and runs for 6. Taylor says to Parcells “maybe we should put that in the playbook coach”. Just saying.

Let's see what guaranteed money Landry gets. I am guessing $30-35 M. Evans just got $55 M. Jones got $47 M a couple of years ago.

In year three of Landry's deal, there will be more than 15, maybe more than 20 receivers that will get past Landry's guaranteed number.

The delta between what he would have been paid by Miami compared to what they wanted to pay, is negligible in the grand scheme and with an escalating cap.

I liked Gase's upgrades to his coaching staff. But, he needs to get away from bringing in only "his guys" (bros) as players. If that's his request, then management needs to be firm on that, and let him know where the pro scouting folks have these guys pegged. You can't give management a pass here. It's been clear from the beginning that T and Grier acquire players and Gase has control over the 53.

T may be maneuvering to throw Gase under the bus, but the buck stops with him vis a vis player acquisition.

There is a simple logic to all of this:

A) Either Gase and his staff have absolutely no idea what they are doing and players like Landry and Ajayi are absolved.

B) Gase and his staff do have some idea of what they are doing and players like Landry and Ajayi stood in the way of that goal.

C) Some combination of both.

Eitherway, I'll never be upset with someone that's doing what they feel they need to do to be successful. That's his job and i'm pretty certain he's more intune with it, the players, his system, his coaching staff than any fan on this website or other form of media.

It's asinine, imo, for fans "knowledgeable" through watching games to think themselves informed enough to judge what's a good or bad move. Literally with no other insight beyond that.

The hilarity!

That could definitely be the case. I mean look at Ajayi in Philly. He had a complementary role and succeeded there. Why couldn't Gase and the coaching staff get the same out of him in Miami?

I do think you have to give the head coach some leeway, but Gase is starting to lose me a bit. When he said players weren't learning his system that was a huge red flag to me. We are talking about year two in the offense. Hopefully, Gase turns it around. His game plan against NE was a thing of beauty so there's that.

There’s no way you can say Ajayi in Philly is paradise just yet. The guy got traded to the best team in the league. That will do a lot for morale. Also, of course he’s eager to show a good attitude to show the naysayers s wrong. It’s like the common man starting a new exercise program. At first you’re guns ho but over time you lose interest and sometimes revert to old habits. Let’s see how Jay behaves if the Eagles hit a tough ugh patch.

There’s no way you can say Ajayi in Philly is paradise just yet. The guy got traded to the best team in the league. That will do a lot for morale. Also, of course he’s eager to show a good attitude to show the naysayers s wrong. It’s like the common man starting a new exercise program. At first you’re guns ho but over time you lose interest and sometimes revert to old habits. Let’s see how Jay behaves if the Eagles hit a tough ugh patch.

That's true. We'll see how it plays out. Was definitely happy with the way Drake stepped up, but Miami does need a power back for short-yardage and to run out the clock.

If not running the right route is 112 catches vs Parker (assume he always ran the right route) pathetic play then I’ll take the former. Bill Parcells tells a great story of coaching LT in his rookie year. Taylor consistently would blitz in a game out of a formation that wasn’t taught. Parcells yelled at him that what he was doing “wasn’t in the playbook”. Next defensive series Taylor does it again and sacks the Cards QB and George Martin picks up the fumble and runs for 6. Taylor says to Parcells “maybe we should put that in the playbook coach”. Just saying.

And that *IS* the point. And it's a damned good one. A once in a generation, game changing *ELITE* player gets aways with that kind of stuff and if a coach can't adjust, you KEEP the player. BUT, BUT, BUT for an above average (you can argue that Landry or Ajayi was more, but it doesn't change the argument) player that doesn't require scheming from the other team, doesn't change games, or the team isn't winning consistanly, you CAN NOT have freelancing or the coach is going to get fired.

Let's see what guaranteed money Landry gets. I am guessing $30-35 M. Evans just got $55 M. Jones got $47 M a couple of years ago.

In year three of Landry's deal, there will be more than 15, maybe more than 20 receivers that will get past Landry's guaranteed number.

The delta between what he would have been paid by Miami compared to what they wanted to pay, is negligible in the grand scheme and with an escalating cap.

Everyone keeps saying "escalating cap" and "the cap always goes up". From 2000 through 2007, everyone kept saying "housing prices can only good up" too. Turns out that in 2008 they were wrong. We've all been hearing about NFL rating issues, the NBA is on a huge upswing, and only our X-gamers did well in the olympics, all of which suggests the cap might not always be going up. It's only prudent to not overpay non-elite players.

A) Either Gase and his staff have absolutely no idea what they are doing and players like Landry and Ajayi are absolved.

B) Gase and his staff do have some idea of what they are doing and players like Landry and Ajayi stood in the way of that goal.

Eitherway, I'll never be upset with someone that's doing what they feel they need to do to be successful. That's his job and i'm pretty certain he's more intune with it, the players, his system, his coaching staff than any fan on this website or other form of media.

It's asinine, imo, for fans "knowledgeable" through watching games to think themselves informed enough to judge what's a good or bad move. Literally with no other insight beyond that.

The hilarity!

Where is the this times 1,000,000 button?

No football team would get rid of a player like LT. Jarvis Landry though, he’s no LT.

Besides, 112 catches for 987 yards. 511 if those came after the catch. That’s over 50%. On average when he caught a pass it was 4.25 yards “downfield”. So he wasn’t really getting open, he was schemed open for all these screen passes.

The hilarity!

By that logic and rationale, then Joe Philbin would still be coaching the Miami Dolphins. Or any other numerous coaches we’ve had.

What you’re effectively saying is that nobody outside of their organization and inner circle should ever dare to criticize, discuss, or question their decisions.

That’s an echo chamber mantra.

And that *IS* the point. And it's a damned good one. A once in a generation, game changing *ELITE* player gets aways with that kind of stuff and if a coach can't adjust, you KEEP the player. BUT, BUT, BUT for an above average (you can argue that Landry or Ajayi was more, but it doesn't change the argument) player that doesn't require scheming from the other team, doesn't change games, or the team isn't winning consistanly, you CAN NOT have freelancing or the coach is going to get fired.
What free lancing are we talking about? Did he consistently run wrong routes or do it “several times” as was quoted. Several could be 3 who knows? Free lancing and making a mistake on your assignment are two different things. I only cite the LT story because it suggests that sometimes the players do have a better feel for what’s going on the field - sometimes. I’d assume if he was freelancing he and the QB were not on the same page. I don’t know how you get open so often, catch so many balls in 4 years when you are running the wrong routes. I’m not buying this so much as I think it’s about his conduct and hot headedness than his play.

No football team would get rid of a player like LT. Jarvis Landry though, he’s no LT.

Besides, 112 catches for 987 yards. 511 if those came after the catch. That’s over 50%. On average when he caught a pass it was 4.25 yards “downfield”. So he wasn’t really getting open, he was schemed open for all these screen passes.
Schemed open? So he WAS running the plays as designed? Which is it? IDK - I think he and Gase just clashed personality-wise and HC always going to win that battle. Unless you are Ben Macadoo.

What free lancing are we talking about? Did he consistently run wrong routes or do it “several times” as was quoted. Several could be 3 who knows? Free lancing and making a mistake on your assignment are two different things. I only cite the LT story because it suggests that sometimes the players do have a better feel for what’s going on the field - sometimes. I’d assume if he was freelancing he and the QB were not on the same page. I don’t know how you get open so often, catch so many balls in 4 years when you are running the wrong routes. I’m not buying this so much as I think it’s about his conduct and hot headedness than his play.

My fault for responding so specifically to your example with LT. There are a bunch of variables in the determination of the value of a player. The team is the final arbiter of that value TO THEM. Landry's value in the eyes of management was lower than Landry valued himself. I know the FO hasn't done anything to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'll still take their opinion over that of the player (and I know that position comes with some serious risk) because I know from a lifetime of working, good management is all about getting input from everyone but the decisions are made by the guy at the top.

One teams trash can turn into other teams gold, so I think we should look back in a year or two and see who was right. Looking back at the last couple of years, we've released a fair number of players that FH lost their collection minds over (OV, LM, etc.) and, for the most part, none one we let go was suddenly elite, or as far as I can tell, even played up to their contracts.

By that logic and rationale, then Joe Philbin would still be coaching the Miami Dolphins. Or any other numerous coaches we’ve had.

What you’re effectively saying is that nobody outside of their organization and inner circle should ever dare to criticize, discuss, or question their decisions.

That’s an echo chamber mantra.

So you think the successful coaches were successful because they didn't follow their vision? What they deemed to be successful?

You think instead they followed what Laser13 and his group suggested as the appropriate course of action?

Okay! Got it!

I honestly can't take any of you serious. Too many experts all in one place for my liking.

Back
Top Bottom