********** gator football *********** | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

********** gator football ***********

Spurrier's reaction to that last Franks INT is priceless.

He’s not really coachable - and that’s a problem for Mullen.

Franks needs to spend less time working the camera on the sidelines and trash talking the crowd and spend more time getting consistent with his reads and throws.

Mullen may have to bench him again to get through his thick skull. Except this time I’d make it permanent.

I watched Emory Jones in the spring and he’s going to be a dangerous player if he can get some experience. He fits what Mullen really wants to do on offense better anyway.

Discrediting Miami for causing the early turnovers, but not mentioning Jeff Thomas handing the game to Florida on a platter. They don't win if he doesn't muff that punt. Simply put. No chance Franks gets it done without that golden gift. He's just an awful QB -- we agree there.

Game was pretty close to how I saw it happening.

That #8 next to Florida is about 10 too high, and they both look like a couple of 8 win teams at best.

The only way I saw Miami being in that game early was if Florida turned the football over. Which is exactly what they did. Miami didn’t even do anything to cause those early turnovers - just Florida doing it to themselves. The first one on a pseudo mesh inside the 10 yard line that cost at minimum 3 points, but most likely cost ‘em 7.

The next fumble on a speed option.

Bad tackling by Florida defense all game. Tackling looked like some of those 90’s Florida teams at times under Spurrier. It didn’t look to me like Mullen had them tackling in fall camp. A lot of coaches across the country don’t really do it anymore and it shows.

Miami started turning the ball over in the 2nd half to kinda start balancing it all out and allow Florida to start making the climb.

I can’t believe there’s people around here that actually think Feleipe Franks is an NFL prospect. He was Miami’s best player and MVP tonight.

Gators were able to hang on and win because Franks didn’t touch the ball again for about the last 1/3rd of the game after that horrible INT. Committing PI’s on 4th & 34’s actually gave ‘em a better chance to hang on.

I thought Miami was gonna start breaking out that ridiculous turnover chain recovering so many of their own fumbles.

Exciting game to start the college football season. Ain’t nothing like the atmosphere of college football.

Congrats on a hard fought win Gators.

Discrediting Miami for causing the early turnovers, but not mentioning Jeff Thomas handing the game to Florida on a platter. They don't win if he doesn't muff that punt. Simply put. No chance Franks gets it done without that golden gift. He's just an awful QB -- we agree there.

The muff by Jeff Thomas was crucial. That’s why I said Miami turning the football over in the 2nd half allowed Florida to start making the climb back.

But Miami did absolutely nothing to cause those first two fumbles. I don’t care how big of a chain they hang around their neck.

They were self inflicted fumbles by Florida on a mesh and a speed option. The first one inside the 10 yard line of Miami literally took points off the board. They got it back on the muff by Jeff so really those two cancelled each other out in the end.

Look no further than the turnovers and time of possession. Florida did more to give the game away than they did to win it, but won anyway. Because the better team won.

It’s all about the L. Put it on a shirt.

I don't know how you could possibly draw the "better team won" conclusion after watching that awful football game, but you clearly have an agenda. You're obviously irked by Miami's turnover chain as evident by the majority of your posts in here, so I'm not even going to bother.

The excuses for the first half turnovers are pathetic. It's football. You would think the "experts" (lol) on here would know that. The Patriots have won multiple titles by virtue of those types of mistakes made by opposing teams.

I don't know how you could possibly draw the "better team won" conclusion after watching that awful football game, but you clearly have an agenda. You're obviously irked by Miami's turnover chain as evident by the majority of your posts in here, so I'm not even going to bother.

The excuses for the first half turnovers are pathetic. It's football. You would think the "experts" (lol) on here would know that. The Patriots have won multiple titles by virtue of those types of mistakes made by opposing teams.
38mexs.jpg

Boy, this was a banner weekend for the remainder of our schedule. At least it makes for stuff like this.

I always say the same thing going into a game like this. All you want is two things: an easy win, and no injuries. Well at least we got the first one.

I'm less concerned about how long we'll be without Toney even though he's our most dynamic playmaker simply because we have enough talent at the skill positions to get by without him. But Henderson might be the player we can least afford to lose right now. Elam looked decent whenever they put him in, but we'll have to see how he fares against SEC competition.

Offense was flat to start and the line still doesn't look great, but they eventually got it done. Perine is one of the most talented backs in the SEC and just can't get much going on the ground right now.

Honestly I bailed on the 4th quarter because BYU-UT was infinitely more interesting. UT is just horrid. We'd better wreck them when they come into Gainesville. Really kind of stunning to think about how UF-UT was the biggest game for the first 10 years of the SEC East and is almost irrelevant now.

Have to get started on a new 31 year streak against Kentucky next week.

Go Gators!

Toney out 6-8 weeks with a shoulder injury. That effectively knocks him out til Georgia. We have a bye before that game so hopefully he'll be ready to go by then. Again, I'm less concerned about that just because of our depth at the skill positions than I am about CJ. Really hoping he can be back by Auburn.

Man, what an emotional roller coaster. More so than even Miami was.

So first things first, really felt terrible for Franks watching him get emotional while being carted off. Team really took that hard and you could see it when they came out to see him and how bad they wanted to win that for him. There's no way he plays again this season. Any time they bring out the AirCast and won't show the replay on TV, you know there isn't much hope of seeing him again.

Franks made some really nice throws and kept plays alive both in the pocket and taking off downfield. That INT was a pretty terrible decision though, and we were very fortunate to have the defense bail us out there.

Was very impressed with Trask though. Until tonight we had only ever seen him in garbage time and spring games. Was very poised and decisive in the pocket and made the throws and got the yardage on the ground he needed to lead the team back for the win. I feel a little more comfortable about this team going forward having seen what we got from him tonight. Emory Jones will probably see some action too though.

Run blocking is still a glaring weakness. Perine is being completely wasted behind this line. Ground game is almost non-existent.

Outstanding play from the WRs tonight though. Jefferson, Hammond, Swain, Grimes, Pitts, and Cleveland all were excellent both in catching and blocking downfield.

Defense struggled much of the night. Got manhandled up front, gave up too much on the ground, and got almost no pass rush. This was a considerably better line than Miami's. David Reese was an exception as he had a huge night. Really hope we aren't missing Zuniga for too long. Ultimately, they got the stops we needed, but still not a great overall performance.

Kentucky's new QB looked impressive picking apart our secondary. We miss CJ bad. Marco had a rough night against their tall receivers. Elam looked decent. Having Stewart back from suspension made a clear difference, and both of those Davis picks were absolutely crucial.

Hammond has to fall down after getting the first down at the end there. I know everyone wants to score, but we had to kick the ball back to Kentucky still only up one score because of that.

As for that field goal, sometimes you're just Kentucky and you're playing Florida.

Ultimately, really proud of this team. That was a gritty, gutty win in a game that looked like it was going to get away from us there in the 3rd quarter.

Here's to the next 31 year streak, and let's blow Tennessee out again.

Go Gators!

Last edited:
Officially a dislocated ankle for Franks. May not even be able to practice next spring.

Will be interesting to see how we use Trask and Jones going forward. Mullen says we'll be using both and he was the one who helped engineer the Leak/Tebow system with Meyer. As good as Trask looked leading the comeback, Kentucky's secondary isn't very good. Only gonna get harder to produce offensively if they can't run the ball at all.

I want to see more of Emory Jones. Trask is a great game manager for the team but I want to see what Emory Jones has to offer.

Trask looked great for most of the game. His fumble in thr first half happened just because the protection on the right side broke down. Both of his interceptions in the 2nd half were just the result of getting a little greedy and he forced it into double coverage.

It's just startling to watch the difference between pass and run blocking for this offensive line. Trask had plenty of time in the pocket throughout the game and picked them apart, but the running game still stalled until the 2nd half when Tennessee was pretty worn down and the bottom fell out. One thing that really stands out to me is how much more comfortable Emory Jones is running the read option than Trask. Also, Malik Davis isn't going to play much if he doesn't hang on to the ball.

Receivers continue to shine for this offense. Jefferson, Swain and Cleveland are really standing out right now. Pitts has emerged as a solid TE too. Jacob Copeland has to catch that ball though. Poor guy had a wide open TD and just flat out dropped it.

I was concerned with how Marco would fare against a tall WR like Marquez Callaway or what is probably UT's best player in JaJuan Jennings given how bad a game he had against UK's tall WRs, but he had a great game. Having Amari Burney back made a big difference. Jonathan Greenard is proving to be a great addition right now. Didn't need Zuniga or Henderson and probably won't need them against Towson either. Keep them fresh for Auburn.

I say this a lot, but holy **** does Tennessee suck. This was THE game in the East for the first 10 years after the SEC was split into divisions and now it's just another game.

Auburn game is a sellout and was just announced as a 3:30 ET CBS game so now I have a 4 hour game to look forward to when I get down there. Their defense looks pretty nasty, so it could be a tough say for us if we still can't run the ball by then.

Go Gators!

Back
Top Bottom