Gauging Josh Rosen Should Be Top Priority In Miami | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gauging Josh Rosen Should Be Top Priority In Miami

Because not all things are equal minus a QB.

We are at or near the bottom of the league in fielding an offensive and defensive line. That wipes away playoff chances right out of the gate.

Don't see the DLine being bottom of the league, it could really surprise this year (please Harris). The DT's are good/very good and are deep, and while the edge guys have a lot to prove Harris, Orchard, Tank, Woodard, and that other guy have some potential, and that's not even considering the possibility of a trade/pick up.

I expect the whole defense to be much improved from last year, Burke was that bad and now we have Wilkins plus some new DE's better suited to stop the run.

Don't see the DLine being bottom of the league, it could really surprise this year (please Harris). The DT's are good/very good and are deep, and while the edge guys have a lot to prove Harris, Orchard, Tank, Woodard, and that other guy have some potential, and that's not even considering the possibility of a trade/pick up.

I expect the whole defense to be much improved from last year, Burke was that bad and now we have Wilkins plus some new DE's better suited to stop the run.
I like the DTs even though we don't have a game changer, but our DEs are looking like the worst DE group in the league. If the hope of getting any sort of pass rush is coaching magic, you're not set up to have a playoff caliber defense.

Granted scheme matters, but if the DEs can't beat the OTs man to man, it is what it is. It's going to be rough.

Who is good on the Dline? Taylor is decent. He showed up for 5 games before he got hurt. Godchaux is average. Wilkins is a rookie. Defensive ends are well average at best. LBs are one of the worst groups in the league. Back half has holes that Im not sure if can overcome with a lack of a pass rush.

Flores want to play 5 and 6 DBs most of the time. Even more than that at times. We got two Dbs that I feel good about in coverage.

Who is good on the Dline? Taylor is decent. He showed up for 5 games before he got hurt. Godchaux is average. Wilkins is a rookie. Defensive ends are well average at best. LBs are one of the worst groups in the league. Back half has holes that Im not sure if can overcome with a lack of a pass rush.

Flores want to play 5 and 6 DBs most of the time. Even more than that at times. We got two Dbs that I feel good about in coverage.

Godchaux, Wilkins, Taylor, and Spence are all good football players. Are any of them stars? No, but they're all good.

The edge is very unproved but there's a lot of intriguing options (plus they can add more talent), this defense is going to be a lot better than people expect as will the whole team IF Flo is the real deal which he appears to be very early on.

Coaching is everything in this sport, or at least it's more important than any other team sport I watch and team sports are my life. Coaching is what's held this team back more than anything for a very long time (which is why 2016 felt soooo good, Gase > Queasy instantly, hell even Dan Campbell lol), hopefully not anymore.

Last edited:
In response to the opening post if he’s not ready in practice then he won’t be ready in game. What would be the point of ruining the chances the evaluate the whole team? If the OL is really that bad you can’t truly evaluate him. You’ve got to him a fighting chance. There is of course always 2021.

Godchaux, Wilkins, Taylor, and Spence are all good football players. Are any of them stars? No, but they're all good.

The edge is very unproved but there's a lot of intriguing options (plus they can add more talent), this defense is going to be a lot better than people expect as will the whole team IF Flo is the real deal which he appears to be very early on.

Coaching is everything in this sport, or at least it's more important than any other team sport I watch and team sports are my life. Coaching is what's held this team back more than anything for a very long time (which is why 2016 felt soooo good, Gase > Queasy instantly, hell even Dan Campbell lol), hopefully not anymore.

Godchaux and Spence are average players. Lets not get carried away here. Taylor is pretty good. Wilkins is the only one that may cause an offense to lose sleep. Got to remember Godchaux, Spence, and Taylor have been here during the times of our dline gets slashed in the run game. 31st in the league last year. Scheme isnt making up all that difference.

Godchaux and Spence are average players. Lets not get carried away here. Taylor is pretty good. Wilkins is the only one that may cause an offense to lose sleep. Got to remember Godchaux, Spence, and Taylor have been here during the times of our dline gets slashed in the run game. 31st in the league last year. Scheme isnt making up all that difference.

I think you underestimate how much difference scheme, and good coaching can make.

Not only was the wide nine a bad way to go for run D, the coaching was non existent from the HC, Burke was incompetent to boot.

I'm not saying these are a bunch of all pros, but they are not underachievers either.

I have no doubt that we won't be bottom 5 in all the meaningful defensive rankings, like last season.

I think you underestimate how much difference scheme, and good coaching can make.

Not only was the wide nine a bad way to go for run D, the coaching was non existent from the HC, Burke was incompetent to boot.

I'm not saying these are a bunch of all pros, but they are not underachievers either.

I have no doubt that we won't be bottom 5 in all the meaningful defensive rankings, like last season.

that scheme had the patriots 21st in total defense last year. I think it will be better but its not gonna all of a sudden gonna make this defense a middle of the road defense after losing all of our pass rush.

that scheme had the patriots 21st in total defense last year. I think it will be better but its not gonna all of a sudden gonna make this defense a middle of the road defense after losing all of our pass rush.
Points allowed #7
Rush yds allowed #11

I don't know how anyone extrapolates that into being a subpar defense, but hey whatever.

I will admit, that they gave up a lot of passing yards, but that will happen when you are playing soft with decent lead. What matters, in reality, is point given up.

Rosen wont be in the NFL in 4 years. Draft a QB next year or let Fitz lead the way for 2 years and give up anything to get Tervor Lawrence

We are in bad situation at qb. If u start fitz. you are drafting a qb next yr any way. Either way you look at it. fitz is not long term answer.You are still set back 2 to 3 yr. If Rosen is not answer you still set back at leased 2 to 3 yr.

Last year Ryan Fitzpatrick had all these incredible metrics and advanced stats and yet he was still 2-6 in the games he played.

Already in training camp we're seeing him for who he is. He shows up for 3 days looking great, and then looks terrible for 3 days.

Unfortunately, even that, what he's been his entire career, is better than what Josh Rosen has given the Dolphins throughout Spring and Summer. So there's that.

Part of me wants to go ahead and start Josh Rosen because if you're going to lose games, might as well try and lose them all. He's the most recent QB to successfully direct a team to the #1 overall pick, after all.

We are in bad situation at qb. If u start fitz. you are drafting a qb next yr any way. Either way you look at it. fitz is not long term answer.You are still set back 2 to 3 yr. If Rosen is not answer you still set back at leased 2 to 3 yr.
We knew that was a possibility coming into this season, irrespective of whether we we picked up Rosen, or not. It really shouldn't come as a surprise.

I think you’re going to be in for a severely disappointing season, my friend.

I truly doubt it. If Fitzpatrick sucks, we get a decent pick, if he is good we have a QB and time to find his replacement. If Rosen sucks, we might get the #1 pick. If Rosen does well, we will have time to find his replacement.

One thing about Fitzpatrick is that he plays well one game and bad the other. If he can find consistency I would be happy with the number he has put put in the past when doing well. When was the last time we had a QB throw for 3 or 4 TD's in a game?

I truly doubt it. If Fitzpatrick sucks, we get a decent pick, if he is good we have a QB and time to find his replacement. If Rosen sucks, we might get the #1 pick. If Rosen does well, we will have time to find his replacement.

One thing about Fitzpatrick is that he plays well one game and bad the other. If he can find consistency I would be happy with the number he has put put in the past when doing well. When was the last time we had a QB throw for 3 or 4 TD's in a game?

December 9, 2018

Back
Top Bottom