Gerrid Doaks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gerrid Doaks

He lost his starting job after his freshman season

Doaks led the Bearcats in rushing twice over the past four seasons, first as a redshirt freshman in 2017 (87-513-5.9, two TDs; also 14-135-9.6, one TD receiving in nine games with four starts). He missed the following year due to a preseason sports hernia injury, however, and then contributed as a backup in 12 contests in 2018 (100-526-5.3, five TDs rushing; 8-70-8.8, one TD receiving). Doaks again topped the squad in rushing as a senior in 2020, covering 673 yards and scoring seven touchdowns on 144 carries (4.7 per) and catching 14 passes for 202 yards (14.4 per) and two touchdowns in nine starts. A leg injury suffered in the AAC Championship Game prevented the Indianapolis product from playing in the team's bowl game. -- by Chad Reuter

I have a good feeling about this kid.

I wanted us to come out of this past draft with a premium powerback, and though I was a bit disappointed that we were not able to bring in Harris or Williams, the more I watch of Doaks, the more I like what we got in the 7th round.

He is a big back, but is very athletic with a nice bit of speed and agility for someone his size. Don't get me wrong, not expecting him to become a workhorse 15-20 touches powerback, but he has a very good chance of becoming a very good complimentary RB, and you never know how well he grows in the NFL.

Love how sudden, and good he is inside the redzone, as well as being effective catching passes. He had 18 TD while only averaging about 11 touches a game.

You're not alone. I feel great about this kid! I love his attitude amd demeanor. Seems like a hungry, hard worker!

He lost his starting job after his freshman season and he was just an average RB in college. While I hope he has success with the Dolphins, I don’t see him as anything but a possible practice squad player for the Dolphins.
As a Jr he averaged 5.3 yards.a carry, and scored 6 TDs, and as a Sr he averaged 4.7 a carry with 9 TDS...If he somewhat does that for Miami, give me average with no complaints from me.

I've heard him described as a better route running Malcolm Brown. He has 3 down back potential. On the slower side, as a negative but, with good vision and blocking up front, could end up as our number 1 RB this year.

I will say it, so put me on record now. 😁He will be our starting RB by mid season baring an injury. He will split time obviously, with 1 of the other backs, but will be #1 I think. While maybe not eye popping, he checks ALL the boxes as far as being a complete back. I think he’s going to be our steel of the draft.

I've heard him described as a better route running Malcolm Brown. He has 3 down back potential. On the slower side, as a negative but, with good vision and blocking up front, could end up as our number 1 RB this year.

Boy would that be amazing if he did that. 😃

Nothing would be sweeter for us, if he forced Coach Flores to start using him as the starter in his 1st year.

He lost his starting job after his freshman season and he was just an average RB in college. While I hope he has success with the Dolphins, I don’t see him as anything but a possible practice squad player for the Dolphins.
Lost his starting job to Mike Warren jr who was a good back in his own right. Warren came out last season and was an udfa. He kicked around with a few teams before being released about a month ago. Warren is one of those young players that were really hurt by not having otas and a preseason to try to catch a coaches eye. I actually wouldn't mind if Miami brought him in for a tryout too, he was a good back in the 5'11 220 pound range.

As for Doaks, he's very similar in size to Leonard Fournette and they have a similar playing style. Doaks is more like Fournette-lite. Not the Fournette everyone thought would be a stud in the NFL, but the version of Fournette that is now on the Bucs roster. I think if you look at Fournette's 2020 Bucs film you could see the type of player Doaks could become. Not an elite back type, but useful.

I'm also on record as saying Doaks could be very Jay Ajayi-like, but with a little less speed and foot quickness. Miami might currently have a lesser version of Ajayi in Doaks and a mini version of Lamar Miller in Salvon Ahmed.

Last edited:
The obvious is, hoping he can develop into more of a featured back, perhaps even a guy that carries the load in the 4th quarter to finish out a game, when the opposing defenses are tired? There is plenty of roles for a RB like Doaks. RB's who can block and catch like him, tend to contribute in ways that don't show up on the stat sheet.

Maybe just maybe Doaks becomes more than a role player. Let's hope Miami has found another late round gem?

Back
Top Bottom