Gesicki And Other Questions | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gesicki And Other Questions

Smythe looked much more natural. He resembled a legitimate nfl TE. Gesicki looks like a newborn zebra trying to stay upright. He’s very far from being what we hoped. There is so much work to be done I wouldn’t be surprised if he ever amounts to anything. This offseason is critical for him. Everything needs vast improvement.

Needs to switch to WR stat. Not even close to physical enough to play TE. Extremely disappointing pick.

Coming out of the Big 10 conference which is more known for it's beef then for superlative play in the secondary it is obvious his game is NOT NFL ready.
Ebron for the Colts was a first round pick and is listed at 6-4 253. He caught 11 TD's in 4 seasons and this year has blossomed and already has 11 TD. The right QB and the right offensive system as well as experience in route running have him on the verge of becoming a star.
Gesicki is listed at 6-6 and 245 is certainly not small, but a taller, lankier version for sure. If he is serious about getting better he needs to bulk up and learn the NFL game at TE. As many have said, this position has a steep learning curve and needs an offense to feature it in the passing game which Gase has not been able to design.
So in his first year he looks like a pile of garbage and his stats would back that up, but as a second round pick you need to give him time and see if he can become something.

I think we all agree that he is nowhere near big, strong or balanced enough to actually play TE. (Can you imagine him trying to block Cam Wake 1:1?) So the question is whether a) he will ever be big, strong and balanced enough, or b) he can possibly be used somewhere else. I'm thinking no to both of those, but I'd love to be wrong.

Gesicki runs so awkwardly and his style of play is asking for a major injury. Up to this point, it looks like another bad 2nd round pick and in no way looks like an nfl tight end. Smythe looks way more fluid and should get more reps. To me, Gesicki is one of the worst players on the roster. I feel like Miami has a hard time viewing talent and player reps. They ask guys to do things they're not good at instead of using their strengths to their advantage. Fitzpatrick should be starting at FS. Drake needs more touches, not just runs but definitely in the passing game. McMillan is just plain bad. I know he's coming off an injury but he clearly looks forced into the starting spot. He plays lost out there more often than not. The talent Miami has isnt being used right and guys that shouldnt be on the field are being forced there based purely on when they were drafted. Gase seems to fall in love with guys and sticks with them too long.
I was never high on this guy like all the other supposed draft experts in here. I thought Godert was the far better tight end.

Looks like I'm the only one, but it's ok with me.

I wanted him in the second. Looking at his highlight videos showed he has hands, can go way up, and has nice speed. How does he excel in college and suck in the NFL?

Well, maybe that's on the staff and the um, play caller. The guy IS an athlete. Hell, Jimmy Graham was a basketball player, how much football IQ did he have?

You won't hear me say he will be a HOFer, but it is his rookie year, and with a different play caller, he could have very good upside. He needs more targets and this offseason to reflect and improve.

I wanted Goedert all along. The guy that actually dominated in college. Yes I know he played at a smaller college but he was and still is the better prospect. I do agree that they're not using Gesicki the right way but even if they did, I still say we drafted the wrong TE. Yet another mistake by our FO/HC

I'm sure I would screw up a lot of draft picks but two recent decisions that shouldn't have been complicated were T.J. Watt over Charles Harris and Dallas Goedert over Mike Gesicki.

Goedert wasn't close to Gesicki in SPARQ numbers, but still very high, and there was never any comparison in terms of frame, strength and overall normalcy for the position in question.

Smythe looks somewhat more athletic and fluid than expected. That can happen with college tight ends who are primarily blockers and seldom used in the passing game. The Seahawks pick Will Dissly was very similar to Smythe in college and likewise he was exceeding expectation as a receiver this season until suffering a major injury that knocked him out for the year.

I think we all agree that he is nowhere near big, strong or balanced enough to actually play TE. (Can you imagine him trying to block Cam Wake 1:1?) So the question is whether a) he will ever be big, strong and balanced enough, or b) he can possibly be used somewhere else. I'm thinking no to both of those, but I'd love to be wrong.

He's big enough and athletic enough. Not saying he'll be any more than average, but no one knows what he'll become. That said, he was drafted for receiving skills, not blocking. Those skills are diminished by bad route schemes and an insistence he block like an All Pro

He certainly wasn't the TE I wanted and I was literally banging my head against my desk when we passed on Goedert (I will mention for the 50000th time that I despise this FO) though whilst after much pre-season hype, he has been putrid - some TEs really improve in year 2. So hopefully there is hope.

Though his desire to get himself murdered by constantly attempting to vault over people isnt a rookie error, its just plain stupid. Likewise someones he just looks soft when trying to go up for a ball, its as if he expects an NFL D to just stand back and allow him to jump 10 feet up in the air in the endzone without challenging him.

Needs to switch to WR stat. Not even close to physical enough to play TE. Extremely disappointing pick.

Lol switching to WR? He wouldn’t even get off the line. Did you see what Malcolm Butler did to him week 2 in the red zone?

Last edited:
I'm still hopeful for him, but we dont even use him how we're supposed to. He's a Jimmy Graham type TE who is basically an oversized slot wr, why make him Anthony Fasano? It's so mind boggling how we always try to drastically change a player away from what they were successful at in college

I liked the gesicki pick but unfortunately he looks completely uncoordinated out there, plays soft as crap, and just doesn't look like an NFL caliber TE. I haven't seen one single play that has impressed me from him. I know rookie TEs struggle but with gesicki it's painfully obvious that he doesn't belong. He looks like a WR that has been asked to play TE and he has no clue what he's doing.

Hope we don't waste a lot of time with gesicki, and either sign a better TE or draft another TE.

2 things.

1. Gesicki is actually singlenhandley killing plays and drives. He’s that bad. 2 times vs Indy, obviously the fumble and on the check down to Gore that was almost picked he was the intended target that would have been wide open but he literally tripped over Carroo coming out of his break.

2. Are we using him properly? This feels like round peg square hole. Forget blocking just try to get him involved in the passing game.

Don’t want to give up on him just yet but he’s shown very, very little as a rookie.

On more thing, every camp there is a guy we believe is going to be good who shows very little in the preseason and we all believe there will be some secret unleashing coming at some point. Mike Gesicki was the guy who was supposed to be unleashed multiple times this year. These unleashing's are about as real as bigfoot, Yeti's, the tooth fairy and Santa Claus. Can we stop thinking big unleashing's are coming after a guy has a quiet preseason? I've never seen it happen yet Finheaven has a guy every offseason.

Last edited:
I'm still hopeful for him, but we dont even use him how we're supposed to. He's a Jimmy Graham type TE who is basically an oversized slot wr, why make him Anthony Fasano? It's so mind boggling how we always try to drastically change a player away from what they were successful at in college

They have on a few occasions but gesicki is either falling down, or hes getting pushed around so much he can't get open. And when he does catch it he gets arm tackled by a 170 pound 3rd string CB.

Just call him downy because he's so soft.

Back
Top Bottom