Gesicki: Big Opportunity | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gesicki: Big Opportunity

When Gase didn't use him in preseason it was because he didn't want to show all his cards. Silly us, he did show those cards, we were just expecting more.
Gase has the ultimate power on offense. Hold by Tannehill at the end of the Colts game. Hold back Gesicki. Same thing. There must be some linebacker Gesicki could beat for a catch on NE.

I know it's a long shot but i needed a TE in FF so i went ahead and picked Gesicki back up (I had him early in season, visions of Gronk and all). I just have a feeling about this week. Maybe the coaches heard about this thing called a "Game Plan" browsing the web this week.

You guys are too quick to judge. TE's typically have rough and awkward rookie seasons, it's a big transition. I'm fine with having him focus on improving his blocking this year. Everyone did this with Xavien Howard, and they're doing it again with Gesicki. I'm telling you now, just like I did the first almost two seasons about Xavien Howard, Mike Gesicki is going to be a tremendous TE for us, and all this hate is very misplaced. Just like press-man CB's take a season or so to learn how to play against NFL talent, TE's take a season or so to learn how to play against NFL talent. Those positions simply require too much in the pros and are developed too little in college. It takes time … just chill people. Mike Gesicki is going to be an excellent TE for us.

It was reason number one why I didn't like him. He wasn't a very good tight end in college, he was just so athletic that he could go off of that. He needs more power to his game so he can't just be pressed at the line of scrimmage. The kid is still learning to be a football player, hopefully he figures it out. We had the best tight end in the draft fall to us and we passed on him because of someone's stupid combine numbers....drives me insane.

A tight ends number one job should be to feel the gaps in coverage and get to it, I just don't think Mike knows how to even read a defense which is quite scary.
It's hard to hear you say he was not a very good TE in college. Watching his tape he was exceptional. Entering the draft he had the highest catch percentage of any TE entering this draft, and the highest contested catch percentage as well, so he was apparently, the best hands TE in the draft … those came from production in college, where he was very, very good.

Testing-wise, he was truly elite, like slightly better than Jimmy Graham elite. Does he need to learn to block better? Yes. Does he need to learn all the adjustments? Yes. Is his head spinning from the learning curve like almost every other rookie TE? Yes. Is Gase prioritizing him learning how to be a complete TE rather than letting him simply go catch balls like a glorified WR? Yes.

But he has proven to be an exceptional TE in college, and once he makes the natural adjustment, he will be an exceptional NFL TE. If you doubt his ability, watch him against Michigan … not a bad team, and he utterly destroyed them. But in the NFL, rookie TE's have a LOT to learn … and he's playing hesitant, which is why he is dropping balls and not always in the right place.

He is going to be one of our best TE's ever, if not the very best. Watch him develop … because what you're seeing now is not inability, it is a learning curve.

Would this be a cause of concern on any other team? He's not inline, so don't expect him to produce as one as a ROOKIE.

The indictment is on the coaches on their inability to have any type of production from that position. Or Tannehill. Gesiki isn't some anomaly, how long before we seen some production from Caroo?

Meh.

I don’t know how anyone who watched his film and saw a star tight end....I saw a long legged stumbling, falling down, awkward, skinny man playing tightened who can jump. Maybe if the use him in situational plays like jump balls etc, he could be effective. Right now he has a lot of work to do.

I can’t figure out why he looks so skinny on tv.

It's a combo or errors and calamities starting with POOR (consistent) talent projection by our

cherokee scouts/draft gurus compounded by our amazingly (consistent) inability to

develop talent multiplied by our uncanny ability to minimize a players natural

ability! That said -- we can turn a race horse into a plow horse

with the best of 'em!

I don’t know how anyone who watched his film and saw a star tight end....I saw a long legged stumbling, falling down, awkward, skinny man playing tightened who can jump. Maybe if the use him in situational plays like jump balls etc, he could be effective. Right now he has a lot of work to do.

Too many problems are not correctable, for the reasons you specified. That's not a tight end body. It's not a Ditka classic old school body, it's not a Winslow gazelle body, and it's not an Engram flexed-out body.

There are some similarities to Dion Jordan, who earned raves from the ESPN Sports Science crew but badly flunked all the combine tests that have been demonstrated to identify edge rush success or failure.

Specialized plays are logically his only argument.

Is this Gesicki’s time?
2oehav.jpg

We need a tall presense at the reciever spot he can fill this. If he can play hoops then he can play football. Just need to play to his strengths instead of remaking him into a protype.

I do love the reactionary comments on FH sometimes. Gesicki is now a complete and utter bust, because he hasn't broken out in his rookie year, despite the fact that nearly all TEs coming into the league need at least 1, if not 2 years before they start showing? I mentioned last off season that one of Fitz or Gesicki would underwhelm this year, with my nod being to Gesicki. But because he'd made a few circus catches in camp at the time, people were full sure he'd go off once the season started, and Gase would know how to use him etc.

I think people need to give him some time. Does he look good? Hell no. Do I get what people are taking about, regarding how he plays soft, runs funny, doesn't seem to know how to find space? Sure. But as I mentioned above, look at the history of the league. It generally takes TEs a while to find their feet in the pros. Give him some time. People are always in far too much of a rush these days to pronounce judgement on these guys. 1 game into his career "Oh no, the Jets have clearly got their Franchise QB of the future, he's immense that Darnold guy". Cut to 5 games into his career, and he's a bust.

Give Gesicki some time, that's all i'm saying. Let's be real, more likely than not, he won't work out, but I don't think we can make definitive judgement without having given him a full year!

Hate to say it early but looks like a bust. Sorry guys

Here are the top rookie draft choices this year....

Andrews: 26/384/2
Herndon: 28/345/3
Goedert: 21/221/3
Gesicki: 18/156/0
Akins: 13/152/0
Thomas: 16/133/0
Hurst: 7/82/1

get that perspective out of here

Back
Top Bottom