Gesicki: Big Opportunity | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gesicki: Big Opportunity

It was reason number one why I didn't like him. He wasn't a very good tight end in college, he was just so athletic that he could go off of that. He needs more power to his game so he can't just be pressed at the line of scrimmage. The kid is still learning to be a football player, hopefully he figures it out. We had the best tight end in the draft fall to us and we passed on him because of someone's stupid combine numbers....drives me insane.

A tight ends number one job should be to feel the gaps in coverage and get to it, I just don't think Mike knows how to even read a defense which is quite scary.

Yeah they had a lot of the same knock on Dallas Goedert but it just seems like Philly uses him so much better even thou they have Zach Ertz arguably the best TE right now in the NFL (at least top 3). So even if you concede that Gesicki is struggling to be physical why is the TE completely missing from the offense? O'Leary and Gesicki have a combine 242 yards for 1TD.

There is currently 33 TE's with over 200 yards and 1 touchdown right now in the NFL and Miami can't seem to get that production out of 2 guys? That's on the offense scheme.

For all the wonderful combine testing Gesicki did, it doesn't translate into any athleticism. He has no burst, is clumsy as a baby giraffe, and can be knocked off his route by a stern look from a DB. IS this the week Gesicki breaks out? I don't think that week exists on a calendar.

Yeah they had a lot of the same knock on Dallas Goedert but it just seems like Philly uses him so much better even thou they have Zach Ertz arguably the best TE right now in the NFL (at least top 3). So even if you concede that Gesicki is struggling to be physical why is the TE completely missing from the offense? O'Leary and Gesicki have a combine 242 yards for 1TD.

There is currently 33 TE's with over 200 yards and 1 touchdown right now in the NFL and Miami can't seem to get that production out of 2 guys? That's on the offense scheme.
Absolutely, but if you watch Goedert at all, you can just tell he has a better feel at finding the openings in the defense. He just passed the eye test. It's a shame we don't know how to use a tight end properly...

I get the argument that maybe Gesicki is learning the nuisances of the pro game, working on route running and field awareness, and even that he isnt on the field as often because of him being a liability blocking. But what I cant understand is why arent there specific packages and an effort to get him involved more in the Red Zone. This is where his size and skill set can be a huge advantage and I just dont see any real effort to get him at least involved in the inside the 20 part of the game if nothing else.

...if a volleyball game breaks out...

Watch Out!

I bet he's great at spiking the football!

:)

I get the argument that maybe Gesicki is learning the nuisances of the pro game, working on route running and field awareness, and even that he isnt on the field as often because of him being a liability blocking. But what I cant understand is why arent there specific packages and an effort to get him involved more in the Red Zone. This is where his size and skill set can be a huge advantage and I just dont see any real effort to get him at least involved in the inside the 20 part of the game if nothing else.

Because others are more deserving of the opportunity. Can you imagined how pissed off other players would be if they had to run a set of practice focused entirely on getting Gesicki involved? Gase would have to ask his wife for his balls back to try that. He’d lose any buy in he still has to give some undeserving nobody that much focus. In all seriousness, it would require some actual leadership to pull that off.

I said same thing for week 1, 2, 3, etc. I love his athleticism, but his toughness reminds me of Jonathan Martin.

Gesicki is not good at running routes and does not show good instincts when he does get the ball.

I wouldn't count on him having a big game this year. Maybe next year but he has a lot of work to do in the off season.

I wish he would go off this week, but it is more likely that he needs an offseason of adding weight and strength before he can become any kind of a playmaker for us.

I think he's a bust. He has no qualities you see in any top TE in the league. Option 2 is making him the hybrid TE/WR, the position invented by the NO Saints with Marquis Colston a few years ago. Problem is, he isn't fast or agile enough to come anywhere near that caliber of a player. I hope I absolutely eat my words on this one, but don't think I will.

Maybe he'll fail to separate again against a lumbering linebacker and we'll get a lucky long pass interference.

Seemingly he could make one memorable play during a season. Again, the Tannehill as George Foreman transformation. Throw it up there. No better time than now.

We drafted the wrong TE.......having said that, they're not using him to do what he could do best and he's not the only player on that boat. This staff seems to like trying to make players do things that they can't do. I don't expect anything to change this week.

Well there is no mismatch when Gesicki is involved. He struggles to beat Linebackers in coverage, corners or safeties easily bully him off his route. Long striding lumbering skeleton out there, so he cant seperate. Maybe he makes a highlight reel one handed catch or jump ball. Hell when he gets an easy catch we saw get blown up by a safety and fumble. Other than that, will need to scheme him open, hes really a waste of space and would prefer to see Smythe out there.

Back
Top Bottom