Gesicki Blocking | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gesicki Blocking

Always a pleasure to get your analysis Travis. Thanks!

One thing I'd like to point out on that last clip, the draw you diagnosed so well, is that it shows something we have missed in past years. The two LB's, which is typical of today's mostly-nickel defenses, are both well blocked by our LG (#67), and our TE (#86, Mike Gesicki) downfield essentially taken out of the play freeing Drake all the way into the secondary. If we can see more of that--Tannehill recognizing the soft spot in the defense and audibling into a run, great pulling and blocking in space by our G's and TE's, and wide open run lanes at the line of scrimmage … our running game is going to really improve by leaps and bounds. It's preseason, I know … but who was expecting Mike Gesicki to make key blocks like that … answer honestly. ;-D
I think you want @Aqua4Ever04 i just used his tweets to help, shoutout to Travis

The blocking thing is getting out of touch. We got Gesicki to catch TD's so any blocking is gravy. Let's not try to turn a great pass catching TE into an in line blocker.
Would you rather talk about the TD he scored or about the block he made?
Both.

This year I agree, he needs to focus on becoming a good receiving target first and foremost. But, eventually, I want a full-service TE, something like Gronkowski, who is dominant in both roles.

Gesicki came into Penn State as a highly touted football and basketball player, yes, but he was the #1 volleyball player in the state. One of the very best in the country. Early in his career he got to the ball but did not have good hands … and he took a lot of abuse from fans because of it. Gesicki told the world he was working on that and would become a sure-handed player. He did. Entering this draft he had the best catch percentage of any TE in the draft. So if he got to the ball, he came down with the ball. Given his insane wingspan, 41" vertical, and 6'6" size … almost everything was catchable.

Mike Gesicki came good on his promise to become sure-handed. Now, as a Dolphins rookie, he has made numerous promises to improve his blocking. I believe him. I think we will see him develop into a good blocking TE. With Gesicki, blocking has always been more of a matter of 'want to' than a question of ability. Now that he wants to … I'm expecting him to develop into a solid blocking TE over the next few years, and an absolutely elite pass catching TE as well.

I think you want @Aqua4Ever04 i just used his tweets to help, shoutout to Travis
Oh, thanks Nick1, that was a very persuasive set of videos! I was under the impression that Aqua4Ever04 was Travis Wingfield, my bad! And yes, absolutely thank you @Aqua4Ever04 you rock!

BTW, I love your signature Nick1!

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if Gesicki ends up bigger and stronger next year

He certainly has the frame for it, at 6'6" 247, he could easily add 8-10 lbs of muscle and still be just as lengthy. I just saw his wingspan is 82 inches. Dud is a freakin spider monkey.

When he's the only tightend on the field it just feels more like a 4 wr set.

Yup. I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but he was actually split wide on the boundry for a play, at 00:17...

nick1 = Travis Wingfield?

On topic, I've said from the get go that the blocking thing is being overblown. He's a freak TE mismatch who's a willing blocker with a willingness to learn, we've had some LINEMAN here who were more of a turnstile than him for christ's sake.

Nobody's gonna be griping about his blocking after he sons a S or LB in the endzone to win us a game.

I am not Travis Wingfield lol but he is here. He's Aqua4Ever04

I've seen years worth of disappointing TE's come through here. We had a decent one in Clay but even he was somewhat of a plodder who produced because he ran effective routes and was really good after the catch at staying on his feet and getting extra yards. Just from a brief look at him on Thursday Gesicki moves like nobody else I've seen in a Dolphins uniform at that position and to be honest like very few TE's in the league can do. He's much more fluid than a lot of guys drafted in the first round.

Gesicki looks like a future star, and I don't usually get excited about young players.

I still don't agree with drafting Gesicki with Dallas Goedert on the board, but I'm not going to care about Gesicki's blocking. It has turned into such a pass-oriented offensive league you have to value the sporadic big plays that enable points and victories.

Let's put it this way...I trust Gesicki more than Parker. I seriously doubt we'll be sitting here 3 or 4 years from now hoping it is finally the year Gesicki puts it all together to the point we have enough information to make a decision on him. The Dolphins seemingly lead the league in that type year after year. It annoys me more than I ever emphasize. If you draft guys with truly rare skills in certain areas you don't suffer through that type of nonsense.

He was serviceable. Got more in line run than I expected.

That cut on the overthrow that should have been 6 was filthy. Don’t think I ever saw that one at penn state. They obviously left meat on the bone ask wise of the player.

Last edited by a moderator:
The blocking thing is getting out of touch. We got Gesicki to catch TD's so any blocking is gravy. Let's not try to turn a great pass catching TE into an in line blocker.
Would you rather talk about the TD he scored or about the block he made?
Right on, I for one want to talk about the TDs he will score.

He was serviceable. Got more in line run than I expected.

That cut on the overthrow that should have been 6 was filthy. Don’t think I ever saw that one at penn state. They obviously left meat on the bone ask wise of the player.

I thought the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom