Get ready guys | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Get ready guys

TerryTate

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
With all the ricky news coming out and the wacky scenarios I am already seeing tonight...by this time tomorrow, all you premies will embrace this forum for its lack of "Should we trade ronnie brown"s and "David Boston at Tight End?"s

So what do you guys think about this whole ricky deal?

I think we should trade Ronnie Brown...Hes unproven, has never been a full time starter, and we got Ricky why do we need him to back up Ricky....

Ok im kidding put down the torches and pitchforks no lynching to be done here :)

stan marino said:
I think we should trade Ronnie Brown...Hes unproven, has never been a full time starter, and we got Ricky why do we need him to back up Ricky....

Ok im kidding put down the torches and pitchforks no lynching to be done here :)

I'm glad i scrolled....cause i didnt see hte 2nd line initially....

Williams is a mercenary. If he can help us for a year and then we can trade him for a decent draft pick if/when Ronnie proves able to handle a 300+ carry per year workload, that's all I'm looking for.
If we have a Vikings-style running game where we have a pair of dominant 200 carry running backs for a couple years, and lead the league, that's even better. Heck, that would be reminiscent of the early 70s teams that had Csonka, Kiick and Morris, two of which ran for 1000 in the same season (I think).
If Saban thinks the team would welcome him back, I'm willing to trust his judgment. But I'll never cheer for him the way I used to.

Hey terry any way to do a DB query to see how many posts areference Ricky Williams over the last year. I'm guessing close to 30% of posts over the last year. In the search on the forums it maxes out at 500 :-/

Hol-eee crap. Just saw all of this madness. I honestly don't know how I feel at this point.

My overwhelming feeling is disappointment for this reason alone: Saban has done a masterful job of organizing the team and whipping it into shape. My concern is that maybe this plunges the team into disarray. Who knows?!?

well football skill really seems to be the focus of Coach saban. Not morality or anything else just football skill and the ability to comprehend and handle of the stuff that they have to teach. Like many reporters, coaches, and fans have said before. Winning creates chemistry!!!

Clumpy said:
Y'all should put Ricky out to sea.

Concentrate on developing Ronnie Brown

What he said.

We should trade RW on a conditional basis; if he tanks, we get nothing, but the compensation would increase incrementally commensurate with RW's performance with his new team, so that if he gained 1800yds we would get a first-rounder.

Low-risk/high-reward for both sides.

Lets face it, Ronnie Brown is a rookie, and if Ricky could come back and take some of the #2 overall pick pressure off of Ronnie, then I am all for it. Most rookies don't start out really great anyway (too bad Ricky won't be here the first 4 games), so it would be nice to have a vet RB. Then we can start giving Ronnie 10 carries, 12, 15, 20, 25, etc.

Bare with me, I just returned from seeing the Revenge of the Sith...

I still see good in Ricky. The situation last year, and the reports that leaked about how dysfunctional the staff has been the last few years... I'm not surprised at all that someone with his mentality went off the deep end.

Ricky needs structure. As much as he wants to project himself as a "free spirit" and claim that he enjoys being free from structure... I'm convinced that his mental makeup prevents him from functioning normally on his own. We'll never know the full extent of Lenny's role in his decision, but I suspect that Ricky's decision to retire and become a free spirit (remind anyone of Lenny?) was at least mostly motivated by trying to please his new friends.

That's something that I always noticed with Ricky... he was never self-serving. Not once did I ever witness him be self serving. I believe his SAD influences his desire to please others... and avoid conflict. The rigid nature of a properly run football program is a perfect place for Ricky to get his dose of pleasing others. Even on runrickyrun.com, Ricky always demonstrated a desire to please the fans. The very fact that he would even keep a journal as public as he did wreaks to me of "Please, like me!"

Given my (unprofessional, I must add) analysis of Ricky... it was only inevitable that he would falter under Wanny's regime. Again.. pardon my Star Wars reference... but "It was his destiny."

Does anyone else find it odd that Ricky thrived in the Texas program? Heck... aside from his extreme shyness, I don't recall him having any issues with the Saints. Actually... I retract that, I do recall him having trouble when he broke his foot... and was subsequently removed from the structure of the NFL. Yet two years under a, now exposed, extremely disorganized program run by Wanny... after loosing Norv Turner... and amidst the chaos that we now know was the offensive coaching staff, and BAM he's gone.

The beautiful thing about our current situation is that yes, he's a mercenary. Ronnie Brown is our "fallback" if you will. We don't need Ricky, and should he once again decide that he doesn't need the structure of the NFL... we won't be counting solely on him. That said, I don't expect he will punk out on us again. Not as long as Saban is as structured as he is reputed to be, of which I have little doubt. Still there is that lingering feeling in the back of your mind... always a sense of doubt about his motives.

That will be Ricky's punishment. The sort of treatment you might give a lover who has cheated on you. You want to trust them and love them as you did before... but there is always that little bit of you that withholds and keeps you from holding them in the same regard as you once did.

Perhaps not everyone will welcome him back... but rest assured that after he breaks his first run for a long TD that will no doubt fill all but the most jaded with the lovely exhilaration that smacks of the taste of great makeup sex, he will be cheered once again. After the celibacy that was last year, he will be welcomed... and he will be cheered. Always with that little asterisk in your mind that warns not to get too attached... but cheered none the less.

Ricky is coming back, whether you like it or not. Personally, I can't wait to put my Ricky jersey back on... and put the Wannstedt era fully behind me. I intend to pretend that Wanny never happened at all, and in that vein pretend that Ricky's falling out didn't happen either.

He's not fully lost to us yet, I can still feel some good in him.

:chuckle:

Wow, 3P ... I was about to write a scathing commentary with the headline, "Once again, Ricky's timing stinks." But your post put things in a whole new perspective for me -- particularly this passage:

The situation last year, and the reports that leaked about how dysfunctional the staff has been the last few years... I'm not surprised at all that someone with his mentality went off the deep end.

How many of us have been willing to give Feeley the benefit of the doubt due to the same circumstances. And A.J. has neither the natural talent nor the emotional fragility of Ricky.

Wise you are. Reconsidering I am.

phinphanphrommi said:
...Ricky needs structure. As much as he wants to project himself as a "free spirit" and claim that he enjoys being free from structure... I'm convinced that his mental makeup prevents him from functioning normally on his own. We'll never know the full extent of Lenny's role in his decision, but I suspect that Ricky's decision to retire and become a free spirit (remind anyone of Lenny?) was at least mostly motivated by trying to please his new friends.

That's something that I always noticed with Ricky... he was never self-serving. Not once did I ever witness him be self serving. I believe his SAD influences his desire to please others... and avoid conflict. The rigid nature of a properly run football program is a perfect place for Ricky to get his dose of pleasing others. Even on runrickyrun.com, Ricky always demonstrated a desire to please the fans. The very fact that he would even keep a journal as public as he did wreaks to me of "Please, like me!"...

I'm humbled by your astuteness; it was obvious once you mentioned it - it would stand to reason that a man who lacked a father much of his life would have self-esteem issues. That has to be a factor in his behavior, and in his condition.

Good eye.

My feelings on Ricky were tempered by his plea (through LeBatard) to be treated like a human being. That really got me thinking about why someone would do what he did. Given that question, I did a lot reflecting on his past... his previous behaviors... comments he made... his previous journal entries (god I wish someone had them archived somewhere). As angry as I was at the time, I told myself that there must be some unknown event that pushed him off the edge. Someone in his condition, who has a known mental illness yet has kept it in check and didn't really have a history of snapping, doesn't really make sense to snap for no reason. I filed my Ricky jersey away from view in the back of my closet, and made myself promise to keep an open mind. Sure I went through the anger part of grieving along with everyone else... but I stopped short of becoming bitter to wards him. When the reports came out about all the infighting with the offensive staff (and keep in mind... Ricky has a history of avoiding conflict like the plague) something clicked. All of it just makes too much sense in my mind. Add to that the further confirmation of the extent that our offensive staff was last year by a former player, who will go unnamed... but who's initials are Rob Konrad, I've since become even more resolute in my position on Ricky. How could someone with his mental trouble possibly survive in the sort of culture that was the Miami Dolphins last year? A culture that I'm sure didn't just start after Ricky left... it had to have been in full swing immediately following, and perhaps preceding, Norv Turner's departure as offensive coordinator. Is it coincidence that when Ricky spoke of wanting to return... it was with the Raiders and Norv Turner, and not of Wanny and his 3 headed monster of a OC position? Norv was the only structure he knew with the Dolphins... and he sought it out. That speaks immensely to me of why he left. I firmly believe that Ricky meant no harm to the team, or his teammates. While he did have harsh words after his retirement... keep in mind that they were only toward the coach who we now know likely cause the whole situation... and the center who was pathetic in his effort on the field, yet had the audacity to call out a man who ran into a brick wall 40 times a week with no complaints. I don't recall any other negative remarks by Ricky, and I don't recall any malice, implied or otherwise, in his statements.

Back
Top Bottom