Get rid of the nets behind the goal posts!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Get rid of the nets behind the goal posts!!

NHL,MLB and I believe the NBA let their ball or puck go into the stands.

I expect that expenditure on balls would go up by 5 times or more, because of all the balls that would not be returned.

NHL,MLB and I believe the NBA let their ball or puck go into the stands.
NHL has netting just about everywhere and makes it a penalty to intentionally knock the puck out of the play area. Don’t wanna get struck by that thing. I remember a fan death some years ago.

All home fans that catch the kicks cleanly get their name entered into a drawing with the others from that season that catch it cleanly. Winner of the drawing gets to return the opening kickoff the following season.

Has the league always had nets behind the goal posts?
My memory is that it began during the late '60s but only in the NFL. I believe the AFL resisted. When my family attended Super Bowl III we were fairly low in the west end zone a little bit toward the south side. Randy Beverly made the diving end zone interception basically smack in front of us. I don't remember a net ever blocking our view.

The net became a big deal at the Orange Bowl during the early '70s in the east end zone when the Dolphins put up 4000 temporary bleachers due to excessive demand, bringing the capacity from 76,000 to 80,000. That was an incredibly rowdy bunch in that end zone. All game long. At least initially the net was not raised full time. I remember it laying bunched on the ground. They'd crank it up before a kick, to massive booing and profanity from that group. Sometimes the net would sag or the wind would be so strong the crew would have a difficult time raising it to full level.

That prompted wild cheers of delight, especially when a kick would clear the net. Yepremian only managed that once in a while. He didn't have the greatest ball flight. I would always try to handicap the opposing kickers toward which ones were capable of it.

And it actually became a dangerous situation. When the ball did clear the net it would come down in the top few rows of the bleachers. There were at least one or two situations in which a fan leaped for the ball from a top row and the ball ended up going beyond the bleachers. Once the Dolphins saw that they changed the height and tension of the net.

Back
Top Bottom