------- Gibril Wilson: Stepping it up | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

------- Gibril Wilson: Stepping it up

Gibril Wilson looks to finally be coming around.

Of the 64 starting safeties in the NFL, ProFootballFocus.com has him currently ranked as the #11 overall safety for 2009 play.
It's not perfect, but this website is very thorough (analyzing every play) and is a good barometer.

He started out very rough, but has steadily climbed his way back...
He's been ballin' the last 7 weeks.

Here's his week-by-week overall rating (pass, run, penalties, etc):
Of course:
negative = bad
zero = average
positive = good

+0.1
=0.0
+0.2
+1.0
+2.9
+1.2
+2.0
+1.5

As you can see, his first 7 weeks cumulative rating = -5.6
His last 7 weeks, his cumulative rating is = +8.0

Link:
http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpasteamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Interesting. This has taught me something ... NEVER go to ProFootballFocus.com :up:

The guy bites on the short routes and gets burnt long. It's happened way to many times this year. If he could just stay deep and play saftey he'd be much better. On obvious running downs creep up.....

Thats site is messed up... look at the HB ratings and then tell me it's correct... AP is the 26th best HB in the NFL... Ray Rice is the 2nd best??

Based on this year's performance, absolutely yes.

AP, with the solid OL he has, the passing threat they have (limiting stacking the box), should have 25% more yards than he does.
His running has been mediocre (overall) this year, running behind that line and with a passing game like that.
And, he has had fumbling problems. No running back in the NFL has fumbled MORE than AP so far (thru Week 14).

Yes, the 26th best running back in the NFL could do the same yards....

Now, over the long term (multiple years), I'd take AP in the top 3. But, this year, his play has been average...

i think overall wilson has played better as of late though he did get smoked by "stepping up" on the double move by holt last week. keep in mind, though, safety is considered the weakest defensive position in the league so its not like all the other safeties are playmakers and it's why guys like palomalu and reed stand out so much.

He most definitely has not been balling.
Not in my opinion.
He has made some tackles if that's what you mean by balling but no special plays to be proud of...

Yeremiah has been balling, however...

I love stats but these are opinions just like your and mine.

The only thing I know for sure is seeing the back of Wilson's
jersey trying to chase down an opposing wide receiver or tight end
OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

#11 TOP SAFETY IN THE NFL IS ABSURD...

You guys are too blinded by his crappy play in the first half of 2009.
You can't realize the fact that his play has absolutely improved the past several weeks.

I guarantee you the coaches are aware......just like the website ratings.

Wilson has been improving and that is something that everyone pretty much agrees on it is just how much of an improvement is the question.
Fact Wilson is stronger as a run stopping safty than a coverage safty.
Fact Wilson leads our team in tackles.
So the real question is how much are we going to suffer in run support if the guy is back all the time covering the deep pass? For everyone beating up on Wilson for his coverage and want to run him off the team are you willing to loose his run support in the process? You can argue until your blue in the face but right now he is a factor in run support because A our DL are not stopping the run or B our LB are not stopping the run. Maybe our staff wants Wilson up closer to the line if their first priority is stopping the run!

I love stats but these are opinions just like your and mine.

The only thing I know for sure is seeing the back of Wilson's
jersey trying to chase down an opposing wide receiver or tight end
OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

#11 TOP SAFETY IN THE NFL IS ABSURD...

strange you take their opinion for what it is whenever someone brings up the play of our rookie corners? lol

This is garbage....absolute garbage! Wilson is terrible and while he has played a little better as of late, he's still clownshoes. He makes our rookie corners look a hell of a lot worse than they are.

This is garbage....absolute garbage! Wilson is terrible and while he has played a little better as of late, he's still clownshoes. He makes our rookie corners look a hell of a lot worse than they are.

Wrong. Not of late.....
He's been playing SOLID of late.

Sure, he got beat a lot in the 1st half of the year.
But in the past 7 weeks, he's played VERY WELL - SOLID.
Every defensive back gets beat sometimes - even Ed Reed.

But, lately, those have been few and far between.

You're just blinded by the first half of the year.....
You can't be objective enough to acknowledge the change....

Sometimes you just gotta say screw stats and judge with your eyes. The Gerbil is not stepping it up. If by stepping it up you mean making less costly mistakes, ok. But he's still making some mistakes, and certainly not making many plays.

This is really great news!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now maybe we can trade him. Probably take a little cap hit, if there is one, but I'd do it in a heart beat.

Back
Top Bottom