Gil Brant compares this crop of Edge Rushers to current NFL players... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gil Brant compares this crop of Edge Rushers to current NFL players...

Feverdream

Club Member
Reaction score
One thing that you'll quickly notice is just how many of these dominant NFL pass rushers didn't put up much in the way of sacks during their college careers...

It's a good read by a great personnel man.

I think that pass rushers tend to be one of the later developing positions. There are so many moves, so many counters to learn and perfect... Then there is the added weight and musculature that comes with growing into your mid twenties.

It pains me when some FFL playing poster snottily says, "but he didn't get many sacks in college, the stats say he's no good." So many of them quote stats and that's about it. The ones who go deep into the analytics are the worst about this. It's like a mental patient with schizophrenia-- they are trying to tie concepts together that are only tenuously connected.

All of this plays into their narrative that this is a weak Edge class. They focus on the lack of sacks, and in a truncated Covid season no less, and try to make the claim that these guys aren't any good.

I realize that part of this is exclusively due to the fact that they want to draft offensive backs, and that no excuse will go unused to tear down the competition, but it just gets old.

This is a good class of pass rushers and edge setters, but like drafting all edge players, it comes with a boom/bust risk.

I think that pass rushers tend to be one of the later developing positions. There are so many moves, so many counters to learn and perfect... Then there is the added weight and musculature that comes with growing into your mid twenties.

It pains me when some FFL playing poster snottily says, "but he didn't get many sacks in college, the stats say he's no good." So many of them quote stats and that's about it. The ones who go deep into the analytics are the worst about this. It's like a mental patient with schizophrenia-- they are trying to tie concepts together that are only tenuously connected.

All of this plays into their narrative that this is a weak Edge class. They focus on the lack of sacks, and in a truncated Covid season no less, and try to make the claim that these guys aren't any good.

I realize that part of this is exclusively due to the fact that they want to draft offensive backs, and that no excuse will go unused to tear down the competition, but it just gets old.

This is a good class of pass rushers and edge setters, but like drafting all edge players, it comes with a boom/bust risk.
I read on nfl.com they rank edge as the fourth best position group behind:

1. WR
2. Offensive Tackle
3. Interior O-Line
4. Edge Rusher

With such talent at offensive tackle and interior o-line..why take one so early (#6) when a good one can be had at #18 or even later at #36 or likely #50?

:shrug:

My main concerns are Rosseau's pro day as his footwork and agility looked clunky.
Jaelon Phillips Pro day was the exact opposite. His footwork and agility looked like a #1 pick overall.
Jaelon, scares the hell out of me with his concussion issues. There is no doubting Phillips' prowess at DE.
Still thanks for posting that article it was a good read and serious food for thought.

Last edited:
I read on nfl.com they rank edge as the fourth best position group behind:

1. WR
2. Offensive Tackle
3. Interior O-Line
4. Edge Rusher

With such talent at offensive tackle and interior o-line..why take one so early (#6) when a good one can be had at #18 or even later at #36 or likely #50?

:shrug:

Think CB and Edge have similar depth, but the CB group is better at the top.

The Edge class is fine. There just aren't any prospects who put it all together. Phillips is the closest, but he has concussion concerns. I feel good about Oweh and Paye, but I don't feel great about them. Generally speaking, the guys who sack the QB a lot in the NFL also do it in college, but there are notable exceptions, and Oweh and Paye have profiles similar to the exceptions.

But, Oweh and Paye are toward the top of the list of guys I wouldn't mind at 18. They're just not on the list of guys I particularly want there.

Agree with LZ that Payton Turner will end up being better than a lot of the higher-ranked players. Similar story for Elerson Smith.

Last edited:
It's a good read but we need to keep in mind those are just projections and like any other position, it doesn't always turns out that way. Lets just say there's a chance 5 QB's go top 9 this year. Do anybody really thinks that all 5 of them will be top QB's in the NFL?

Well is the same thing with this Edge class except production hasn't been great in college for most of them and I'm not talking only about sacks. I'm sure one or two of these guys will turn out to be better NFL players than they were in college but it's about getting the right guys for our scheme/team.

We can really use a good pass rusher but I don't want to reach for one. If they're all a gamble this year then I'd rather gamble in the 2nd round than at 18 but that's just me.

It's a good read but we need to keep in mind those are just projections and like any other position, it doesn't always turns out that way. Lets just say there's a chance 5 QB's go top 9 this year. Do anybody really thinks that all 5 of them will be top QB's in the NFL?

Well is the same thing with this Edge class except production hasn't been great in college for most of them and I'm not talking only about sacks. I'm sure one or two of these guys will turn out to be better NFL players than they were in college but it's about getting the right guys for our scheme/team.

We can really use a good pass rusher but I don't want to reach for one. If they're all a gamble this year then I'd rather gamble in the 2nd round than at 18 but that's just me.
agreed..trade back from #18..and take one in the second rounds or so..then it doesn't sting quite as much if they stink!

Yep, stats don't tell the entire story.

I was reading up on the Senior Bowl and there was a statement about Basham getting the most double teams of any DE in the 2020 draft class.

Yet, all we hear is that his sack numbers were down. That's just one example, of not knowing/seeing the entire picture.

I love the Hunter/Oweh comparison. I'm sure a defensive minded coach would love to work with Oweh.

My main concerns are Rosseau's pro day as his footwork and agility looked clunky.
Jaelon Phillips Pro day was the exact opposite. His footwork and agility looked like a #1 pick overall.
Jaelon, scares the hell out of me with his concussion issues. There is no doubting Phillips' prowess at DE.
Still thanks for posting that article it was a good read and serious food for thought.
Agree. Rousseau workout was underwhelming. But that JPP comparison is interesting. My take is that Rousseau wins with power and likely has the strong hands that Flores looks for.

Back
Top Bottom