Gil Brant compares this crop of Edge Rushers to current NFL players... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gil Brant compares this crop of Edge Rushers to current NFL players...

Kwitty Paye and Greg Rousseau are the two who match what we do.

They are edge setters more than they are pass rushers, but they both have the potential for double digit sacks each year.

The key here is that they can (and do) move inside on obvious passing downs, allowing us to shuttle our big tackles out of the game and allow us to bring in the quicker 245 lb type edge rushers.

So... Big ends on early downs to stop the run and set the edge, and better inside rush on yardage downs.

That said, we could also benefit by bringing in someone with Ojulari's game, although this player will likely be a sub package player, at least at first... as Van Ginkle will likely get most of the work here.

On a passing down, we could see something like Davis on the nose, with Seiler and Paye (or Rousseau) at DTs, and Ojulari and Van Ginkle lined up as stand up ends. 5 Dbs, and a WSB type playing the middle. It's a position-less type of ball, but it's where we are going.

I guess I just see things a little differently on Jayson Oweh. I watch him play football and I don't just see a guy who could be good in the NFL, I see a guy I want on my side of the field when I'm on defense. I want the way he can chase a ball out to the sidelines and keep a decent play from turning into a big play. Just try holding him back from second chance and scramble sacks. There are a lot of tools there, in pass rush. He's shown strength. He has more range than you know what to do with.

I'd much rather put him on my card than Jaelan Phillips, with all those health issues.

Edge class is weak this year, particularly at the top, because you get the feeling some of the lower tier guys will out-play the upper tier guys.

But the thing about an edge class is it's like a receivers class. There are always going to be plenty of them out there to get you excited because there were a lot of them put in favorable positions to make big plays. That's what you do with your edge, you open the way for him to sack the quarterback and get the fans jumping around, not unlike a receiver being on the receiving end of a big play.

So I mean, between Jayson Oweh, Jaelan Phillips, Kwity Paye, Carlos Basham, Azeez Ojulari, Greg Rousseau, Elerson Smith, Joseph Ossai, Cam Sample, Payton Turner, Janarius Robinson, Joshua Kaindoh, Dayo Odeyingbo, Rashad Weaver, Quincy Roche, Joe Tryon, Ronnie Perkins, Hamilcar Rashed, Ade Ogundeji, Daelin Hayes, and Tarron Jackson...you're going to get some NFL players. You'd probably take any of them at a certain point in the draft.

"You're going to get some NFL players"

"You'd probably take any of them at a certain point in the draft."

Wow. Stellar analysis. You really went out on a limb there saying some of them will be NFL players, and they'd get drafted at a certain point in the draft.

Have any other bold predictions you'd like to make?

One thing that you'll quickly notice is just how many of these dominant NFL pass rushers didn't put up much in the way of sacks during their college careers...

It's a good read by a great personnel man.

Sure. I love Gil. But, take it with a grain of salt. He was far off in a lot of places here: https://www.nfl.com/news/instant-impact-rookies-from-the-2016-nfl-draft-0ap3000000659695

I am not sure Gil is as plugged in as he used to be.

A true Draft Legend but probably not putting in the hours any more.

Kwitty Paye and Greg Rousseau are the two who match what we do.

They are edge setters more than they are pass rushers, but they both have the potential for double digit sacks each year.

The key here is that they can (and do) move inside on obvious passing downs, allowing us to shuttle our big tackles out of the game and allow us to bring in the quicker 245 lb type edge rushers.

So... Big ends on early downs to stop the run and set the edge, and better inside rush on yardage downs.

That said, we could also benefit by bringing in someone with Ojulari's game, although this player will likely be a sub package player, at least at first... as Van Ginkle will likely get most of the work here.

On a passing down, we could see something like Davis on the nose, with Seiler and Paye (or Rousseau) at DTs, and Ojulari and Van Ginkle lined up as stand up ends. 5 Dbs, and a WSB type playing the middle. It's a position-less type of ball, but it's where we are going.
Please Jeebus no. I'm convinced both Paye and Rousseau will disappoint.

Agree. Rousseau workout was underwhelming. But that JPP comparison is interesting. My take is that Rousseau wins with power and likely has the strong hands that Flores looks for.
I agree the JPP comparison was very interesting. I hadn't thought of it. I see similarities to Clowney and Dion Jordan because Rousseau is not as explosive as advertised to the outside, and does get stalemated more frequently than his physical gifts would suggest. But Rousseau is more fluid than either of those two guys, and when he is in position to make a big play he almost always does make it, just like JPP.

Right now I think Phillips is more likely to drop than Rousseau. Someone on footballs future.com draft forum made the excellent point the other day that the league tends to place more weight on concussion-type injuries than fans do.

I've seen Rousseau mocked to the Ravens from several sources. That makes sense because Baltimore doesn't historically care about test scores or rapid fire to the outside. They want big frames who intimidate and collapse the pocket from the inside.

Please Jeebus no. I'm convinced both Paye and Rousseau will disappoint.
I'll wager that this is because you want an outside threat.

If this is so, I'd suggest that you examine what New England has always done. They generally don't value this.

I'll wager that this is because you want an outside threat.

If this is so, I'd suggest that you examine what New England has always done. They generally don't value this.
No it's because I don't see Paye being successful and because Rousseau - at his athletic profile and with his small production history - is too big a gamble for the first 2 rounds, imo.

I'd actually draft Onwuzurike and play him at DE and bring him inside on certain packages.

I agree the JPP comparison was very interesting. I hadn't thought of it. I see similarities to Clowney and Dion Jordan because Rousseau is not as explosive as advertised to the outside, and does get stalemated more frequently than his physical gifts would suggest. But Rousseau is more fluid than either of those two guys, and when he is in position to make a big play he almost always does make it, just like JPP.

Right now I think Phillips is more likely to drop than Rousseau. Someone on footballs future.com draft forum made the excellent point the other day that the league tends to place more weight on concussion-type injuries than fans do.

I've seen Rousseau mocked to the Ravens from several sources. That makes sense because Baltimore doesn't historically care about test scores or rapid fire to the outside. They want big frames who intimidate and collapse the pocket from the inside.
One thing you can say about Rousseau is that he finds the ball. I know that sounds dumb, but some players struggle with that. He definitely doesn't look explosive, but must give good effort to put up the numbers he has.

The fact that Phillips left the game due to concussions will be the first question NFL teams ask in any zoom meeting. He could slip to the 2nd round.

Back
Top Bottom