Gilyard would love to be in Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gilyard would love to be in Miami

malzacher

Scout Team
Reaction score
Forgot where, but I read Mardy Gilyard WR from CINCY would loved to be drafted by the Dolphins. He is underrated.He said at Senior Bowl that Our coaches were asking him a lot of in depth questions. Could you handle being in a big city like Miami? things like that. Miami might be interested. I guess he has been through some things growing up and has a chip on his shoulder. He also seems to be doing some great things. Looks like this kid is a good dude and is extremely hungry to be a great WR in the NFL and more importantly, a great human being. I could see Miami scooping him up in the second round if he is available and we dont address the wr postion by then.
Hey, I called Miami taking Pat White in the second round. Anything can happen. Here are some highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqHZjHonAqQ

i like damion williams too (sorry spell?)

Damian* Williams. I live in California, and I've seen Williams play... And he is a phenomenal player. 70 catches for 1010 yards and 6 TD's while playing with a true freshman quarterback is unheard of... And not to mention he plays in Pete Carroll's offense, which was the most conservative offense in college football (to the extent where it pissed me off a lot). And especially with USC's decline this season...

Trust me, Williams did a lot better than I had expected given the scenario he was in. He doesn't have elite speed but has great route running ability, cuts, and I think he's going to be a fantastic pro. JMHO.

I'd be happy to have him in Miami, but I wouldn't take him before the 3rd round. If we can get him there, I'd be ok with it.

Only way I can see it is if they get rid of Ginn.....they're virtually the same type player....with Gilyard being a little rougher around the edges (in a good way) and not as soft as Ginn...

I wouldn't take Gilyard until the 3rd/4th round if I was going to take him....and if Shipley was still available I'd take him there over Gilyard anyway...

Only way I can see it is if they get rid of Ginn.....they're virtually the same type player....with Gilyard being a little rougher around the edges (in a good way) and not as soft as Ginn...

I wouldn't take Gilyard until the 3rd/4th round if I was going to take him....and if Shipley was still available I'd take him there over Gilyard anyway...
we have Shipley's we dont have any Gilyard yea some people say he is a lot like ginn but he will go across the middle and will accually catch the ball and not just fall. we have to many Shipley's with Bess, Cam, and hartline we dont need 4 on this team we need a real playmaker

we have Shipley's we dont have any Gilyard yea some people say he is a lot like ginn but he will go across the middle and will accually catch the ball and not just fall. we have to many Shipley's with Bess, Cam, and hartline we dont need 4 on this team we need a real playmaker

Well I think Gilyard and Shipley are both probably more of a slot type receiver in the NFL....and I think Shipley is the better player here....

So in that sense Miami already has a handful of Gilyards too....in case you haven't noticed...Shipley is just as much of a playmaker as Gilyard...

Gilyard is rail thin, weak, doesn't even make the slightest attempts to block for the run, doesn't have great speed, doesn't catch the ball every time it's thrown his way, and he has shown no ability to get off the press.

Other than that, he's a fine receiver.

Honestly that kind of player is lucky if he goes higher than the 5th round. He will, but I have to agree I wouldn't take him with anything above a 4th.

The only knock I have with Shipley is his age for a rookie (which isn't that big of a deal) and upside...

I think he's pretty much going to enter the league almost as good of a player as he leaves it....he's going to come in and contribute immediately IMO due to his route running, hands, and ability to return punts, etc....he has better speed and quickness than people think....I would almost stamp the lable of "safest WR pick in the draft" on him other than Damian Williams IMO....

The thing that will avail both Shipley and Williams is that they can do something with the ball in their hands after the catch. That makes them safe picks because in this league of increasing spread, guys are getting schemed open by spacing and pre-snap reads. The key is what they can do with the ball in their hands to turn short plays that carry some risk (as all passing plays do) into long plays that carry some risk.

Run after the catch ability is a must for me as far as putting a high grade on a WR prospect....the only thing I dont like about Williams is his tendancy to body catch....uggh...nothing bothers me more than that...that's the FIRST thing I would break him from..

I'd do it in the parking lot as soon as his plane lands....not kidding..

Damian is one of the many still on my to-do list. I've seen the fugger play of course, enough to know his game and some things I like about him and don't like about him...but I've yet to scour three games' worth of snaps.

the thing that stands out to me about damian williams is the lack of burst or explosiveness...i agree he's good with the ball in his hands but unless we were to lose some of this other pretty average wr talent already on hand i don't see a fit...

i definitely don't see him as the final piece to complete this wr core...not at all

i like gilyard also in the slot and i think he's worth more than a 5th round pick...shipley looks more quick twitch to me than gilyard...but i've seen some pretty explosive plays out of gilyard...he's more quick than fast...same for shipley

i agree that i think shipley may have peaked...what you see is what you get...i see more upside in gilyard

but none of the 3 are really on my list...

Back
Top Bottom