Ginn Jr, give players a break for crying out loud. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ginn Jr, give players a break for crying out loud.

You say Ginn, Jr has suspect hands. Is this from your personal observation or are you going by what others say. I saw him play four times this year and only saw him drop one pass that I thought he should have caught. Does that make his hand suspect? No. Every receiver drop passes.
Poor route running is a problem with about 80% to 90% of all rookie receivers including, Steve Smith and Chad Johnson. It's one reason so many struggle their first year in the NFL.
Can Ginn, Jr become the next Steve Smith, probably not but that doesn't mean he cannot become a game changer at the position. Is he worth the #9 pick, I don't know but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

You get more bang for your buck drafting a defensive player, OT or QB. Ginn is fast, but he's listed at 175 lbs. He will have difficulty with bump and run coverage.
40 times don't impress me. Randall Hill, Desmond Howard, Kevin Williams, Rocket Ismael, Rae Carruth were all burners and had exceptional college careers. None were anything special at the NFL level.

You get more bang for your buck drafting a defensive player, OT or QB. Ginn is fast, but he's listed at 175 lbs. He will have difficulty with bump and run coverage.
40 times don't impress me. Randall Hill, Desmond Howard, Kevin Williams, Rocket Ismael, Rae Carruth were all burners and had exceptional college careers. None were anything special at the NFL level.
Randall Hill and Kevin Williams were not going to be anything more than a #2 or #3 WR in the league. Desmond Howard was slower than expected, didn't have a great work ethic and had a difficult time adjusting to the speed of the NFL.
Rae Carruth only played three years (missed most of one with an injured foot) before going to prison.

40 times may not impress YOU but they do impress those who make these decisions. Otherwise they would keep having these players run them.

Size is not a determining factor if someone is going to have trouble with bump and run coverage, technique is. Besides, some teams will shy away for that type of coverage for fear if the CB misses the bump a big play will happen.

Once again, I'm not saying we should take Ginn, Jr at #9 but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

You say Ginn, Jr has suspect hands. Is this from your personal observation or are you going by what others say. I saw him play four times this year and only saw him drop one pass that I thought he should have caught. Does that make his hand suspect? No. Every receiver drop passes.
Poor route running is a problem with about 80% to 90% of all rookie receivers including, Steve Smith and Chad Johnson. It's one reason so many struggle their first year in the NFL.
Can Ginn, Jr become the next Steve Smith, probably not but that doesn't mean he cannot become a game changer at the position. Is he worth the #9 pick, I don't know but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Calvin Johnson runs extremely crisp routes as a draft prospect, as does Dwayne Jarret. When I say he runs poor routes, Im comparing him to the rest of the wide receiving core. Ginn has trouble catching in traffic, runs poor routes, and has suspect hands.. how in the world would they improve our offense?

Ted Ginn has numerous scouts claiming he has extremely suspect hands. All of my information comes from people inside Pioli's office, which has proven to be extremely reliable. Trust me, Ted Ginn will be a flash in the pan who won't amount to much as a wide receiver. He might be a great kick returner, but he won't be the next big thing. You dont draft a kick returner @ #9.. you just dont.

Calvin Johnson runs extremely crisp routes as a draft prospect, as does Dwayne Jarret. When I say he runs poor routes, Im comparing him to the rest of the wide receiving core. Ginn has trouble catching in traffic, runs poor routes, and has suspect hands.. how in the world would they improve our offense?

Ted Ginn has numerous scouts claiming he has extremely suspect hands. All of my information comes from people inside Pioli's office, which has proven to be extremely reliable. Trust me, Ted Ginn will be a flash in the pan who won't amount to much as a wide receiver. He might be a great kick returner, but he won't be the next big thing. You dont draft a kick returner @ #9.. you just dont.

Quit making sense, it doesn't go over well on these boards.

Randall Hill and Kevin Williams were not going to be anything more than a #2 or #3 WR in the league. Desmond Howard was slower than expected, didn't have a great work ethic and had a difficult time adjusting to the speed of the NFL.
Rae Carruth only played three years (missed most of one with an injured foot) before going to prison.

40 times may not impress YOU but they do impress those who make these decisions. Otherwise they would keep having these players run them.

Size is not a determining factor if someone is going to have trouble with bump and run coverage, technique is. Besides, some teams will shy away for that type of coverage for fear if the CB misses the bump a big play will happen.

Once again, I'm not saying we should take Ginn, Jr at #9 but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Ginn is never going to be anything more than a number 2 or 3 WR in this league. Randall Hill wasn't drafted to be a number 2 or 3. He was a 1st rd pick that was expected to take over for Duper. Fortunately, the Cardinals were dumb enough to give us their 1st rounder which turned out to be the 7th overall pick (Troy Vincent).

Ginn is never going to be anything more than a number 2 or 3 WR in this league. Randall Hill wasn't drafted to be a number 2 or 3. He was a 1st rd pick that was expected to take over for Duper. Fortunately, the Cardinals were dumb enough to give us their 1st rounder which turned out to be the 7th overall pick (Troy Vincent).

We definitely got lucky with that one. Vincent was an amazing player.

You are correct in that he was drafted to take over for Duper but at the time Mark Clayton was still Marino's #1 target. Unlike Duper, Hill was not as fast laterally as he was straight. Something Shula and his scouts didn't take into account when they drafted him.

I don't think Ginn is a "reach" at 9... in fact right now he's projected to go around that area.

now you guys can debate all day as to whether or not you think we need this player (truth be told i think we could use first-round talent at ANY position), but i don't think you can say he'd be a "reach" at 9.... not now, anyway

I don't hate him, hell i don't even know him. I'm just hesitant to use our only 1 rd pick to grab a player who is not a slam dunk pick. Yes i know that not all players in the first round are going to be a slam dunk, but usually you can see which players have a bigger potential than others.

I agree with you on one thing though , if we do draft him, i'll be behind him 100%

Back
Top Bottom